My Botvac gone Bannana! Strange behaveiour

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

My Botvac gone Bannana! Strange behaveiour

Postby 3kgt » March 1st, 2017, 5:22 pm

Neato botvac was working fine...had problem with bump sensors wich i replaced and they worked fine..
2 days agoo it got totally crazy

See the video to understand
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjWua92IMXq00DZ_Kkdx6YAdpEAr

I tested the senors and wheels with the neato tool..and they all work fine.
I removed the battery..didint help!

Any ide whats going on?
I even hear a strange noise from the wheels..you can hear it in the video..
I did open the botvac and gave it a total cleanup... did a new test and all parts work.
Love robot vacums :)
Today: Neato Botvac 70E
Tested: Neato XV-14,15, Signature pro & Irobot 521,581, 630,650,780 + 2 Samsung modells + XV-25 + Scooba 230
3kgt
Robot Addict

Re: My Botvac gone Bannana! Strange behaveiour

Postby glnc222 » March 1st, 2017, 6:11 pm

With noise from the wheel drives, I would disassemble the wheel assemblies and check for dirt in the gears. One user reported such after long use. Short range motion is monitored through tachometers on the wheels. Only examination can tell. There are many points of failure in these machines.

It is possible over USB in test mode, with a long USB cable, to run the drive wheels. I have never gotten the cleaning mode tests to work, engaged after giving the command, and may just not know the procedure. I can run the drive wheels separately. Perhaps the USB cable must be unplugged for the other tests. I used the terminal emulator for these commands.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby TechGuy » March 1st, 2017, 7:17 pm

Look like the left wheel is not turning at normal speed. That is why your Botvac is turning in counter-clockwise direction.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
For Sale: Black CHM 2 Ball Bearings set
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby 3kgt » March 2nd, 2017, 3:11 am

glnc222 wrote:With noise from the wheel drives, I would disassemble the wheel assemblies and check for dirt in the gears. One user reported such after long use. Short range motion is monitored through tachometers on the wheels. Only examination can tell. There are many points of failure in these machines.

It is possible over USB in test mode, with a long USB cable, to run the drive wheels. I have never gotten the cleaning mode tests to work, engaged after giving the command, and may just not know the procedure. I can run the drive wheels separately. Perhaps the USB cable must be unplugged for the other tests. I used the terminal emulator for these commands.

I did a detailed cleaning of both wheels..did remove all parts and assembled the wheels..no dirt inside .
Only hair in the brush motor.

And i can only test one wheel at the time. But i do hear a noise different and might be a speed different between the wheels in test mode. !!!

But if u watch closly u will see that its not the wheels only..it almost reacts as if there is something infront of it (laidar or bump sensors)
All this over a day....!?

I love the neato and it's smarter but damn do they have problems :cry:
I know people who have iroobots wich they almost never clean and use daily for years and they survive..i clean mine after each run and still so many damn problems :mad:

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
Tested: Neato XV-14,15, Signature pro & Irobot 521,581, 630,650,780 + 2 Samsung modells + XV-25 + Scooba 230
3kgt
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » March 2nd, 2017, 6:13 am

I do not have it now, but I once made it roll straight forward under USB control with commands over terminal emulator, activating both drive wheels or something. There is a time or distance parameter, check the manual.
The usual way they have to be fixed is replacing parts one at a time until it works. That is what a shop would do with lots of spare parts. Some people use extra robots.
There are replacement drive motors sold. Also lidars.
I got the Samsung when the price dropped a lot from the initial product offer. I expect it to be inherently more durable, but will have to see. I do not see any reports of failures over the past year.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby 3kgt » March 2nd, 2017, 10:49 am

i tested it again and the right wheel is a faster while testing it with the Neato controll.. So it seems like the right wheel is on Max speed all the time.. even if i lower the speed i still get the same results, while the left one dose increse/decrese speed with the neato controll program parameters.
Can it be the motherboard? OF is it the wheel itself!
Gln have you ever encouter a defect wheel wich works but with wrong speed?
I have just bought it 4 damn bump sensors, i dont wanna invest more money..

PS. what do u think of the Samsung bot vs Neato so far?
The neato have the strongest suction vs older samsung and irobots i tested.
3kgt
Robot Addict

Postby TechGuy » March 2nd, 2017, 12:02 pm

XV series motor has a magnetic disk mounted on the axle of wheel motor. There is a hall effect sensor to measure the rotational speed of the magnetic disk. If the magnetic disk is broken, Neato will think that the wheel is turning slow and increase the speed until it hits maximum.

I am not sure about the Botvac wheel motor. Check the condition of the wheel magnetic disk.

Edit:
Sorry, Botvac wheel motor is enclosed. But it may still use a magnetic disk. I hope that Neato will not use optical speed sensor similar to the 400 Series Roomba wheel.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
For Sale: Black CHM 2 Ball Bearings set
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » March 2nd, 2017, 2:10 pm

A Multimeter with frequency and duty cycle scales could compare signals on the two motors and maybe reveal what is broken. Some wheel assemblies are sold around $40.

I refer to the Powerbot not Navibot, a larger machine with very expensive large battery. The 7000 announced for this year will be more interesting. Botvacs are less expensive than top of the line Roomba. See Samsung forum.

You are supposed to have a two year warranty under EU regulations in Europe.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby 3kgt » March 2nd, 2017, 3:25 pm

glnc222 wrote:A Multimeter with frequency and duty cycle scales could compare signals on the two motors and maybe reveal what is broken. Some wheel assemblies are sold around $40.

I refer to the Powerbot not Navibot, a larger machine with very expensive large battery. The 7000 announced for this year will be more interesting. Botvacs are less expensive than top of the line Roomba. See Samsung forum.

You are supposed to have a two year warranty under EU regulations in Europe.

A big Thanks for all your posts and tips..
I think i will give upp on this one..Warranty is gone, battery needs replacing and cost about 500 kr here, a used wheel on ebay is about 500 more..and i have just put 300 kr on bump sensors..so i give upp on this one and its time to try a new robot

You are an expert in the R-Vacum world.. Wich one would you rekomend today?

Botvac connected Price about 7000 KR (On sale 6000)
Samsung VR20J9020UG Price on sale today 4000 Kr
http://www.samsung.com/be/vacuum-cleane ... J9020UGEN/

In not a fan of Irobot and would never buy untill they get a better navigation. If you have any other tips do please say.

Excuse my lame speeling :)

Edit. Reading now about the new samsung vr7000.. but i think that it will be very expensive in Sweden..beside it has yet not been sold here yet.
3kgt
Robot Addict

Postby JEfromCanada » March 2nd, 2017, 5:42 pm

I prefer the methodical navigation on Neato's as well. However, the new iRobot 980 uses a camera for methodical navigation.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby 3kgt » March 2nd, 2017, 6:14 pm

JEfromCanada wrote:I prefer the methodical navigation on Neato's as well. However, the new iRobot 980 uses a camera for methodical navigation.

Hmmm 980! Didnt know about that..thow still round form is not practical. But will for sure take a look at the new bot.

Edit...
Nehhh same shoot difrent name.stil bumps against stuff and round and short/smaller brushes.

Neato. Samsung.LG are all better in my eyes.. the Vr 7000 is nice. But price tag will be scary
Robots have become more and more pricy each year
3kgt
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » March 3rd, 2017, 12:28 am

I was surprised at piokrza's report the VR7000 was coming in at a lower price. It is a bit smaller than the 9000, and it may reflect competition. Cheaper than Roomba 980. Waiting for Godot -- I mean third_deg...
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics