Botvac 80 with possible bad Lidar/Lidar Motor

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Botvac 80 with possible bad Lidar/Lidar Motor

Postby Ra\/en » March 3rd, 2017, 9:34 am

Hello,
New to the forum, but I have read some great stuff so far and have learned quite a bit about my BotVac.

I have an issue with my 1 1/2 year old BotVac 80. I went to run a whole house cycle the other day and when I pressed the button to start the bot, he moved out from the charger correctly, started the vacuum motor and brushes, but then both vacuum and brushes stopped and then they started again. This happened one or two more times and then it eventually gave up and gave a 3000 error code, which I have learned means an issue with the Lidar. So I took the purple cover off to see if the Lidar attempts to move and there is no movement. So then I hooked the bot up to my laptop and ran the Neato Control, using the GetLDSScan command. The Lidar still had no movement and the results from each read came back with an 8080 HEX error code.

Am, I looking at an entire Lidar replacement or could it be just the motor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Ra\/en

Re: Botvac 80 with possible bad Lidar/Lidar Motor

Postby vic7767 » March 3rd, 2017, 10:25 am

You can suspect that either the Lidar motor is bad (High runner fault) or the motor enable circuit on the main board is defective. You can test the motor by connecting a dc voltage to the 2 power leads (1.5 to 9 vdc)
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Ra\/en » March 3rd, 2017, 4:33 pm

Thanks Vic. I will try powering the motor using an external power supply and see if works.
Ra\/en

Postby someoneclever » March 3rd, 2017, 4:52 pm

How do you take the lidar cover off? The process should be identical on the Botvac Connected, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
someoneclever
Robot Addict

Postby joncrocks » March 5th, 2017, 9:16 am

It might be worth talking to the seller as well, I was in a similar position to you about a month ago.

D85, comes out of base, tries and fails to spin up LIDAR turret. Was about to start sourcing replacement motors, was taking it apart to check the pulley etc. But I'd only had it 16 months, so told Amazon it wasn't working and they offered me a full refund.

Not to diminish the tinkering, but remember that at the end of the day this is a consumer product that shouldn't really be breaking down after a year and a half.
joncrocks

Postby Ra\/en » March 5th, 2017, 7:32 pm

I tested the motor off the robot with an external power supply and the motor worked. So I put it all back together and then placed it back on the charger for a bit. Once it was ready, I attempted to run a cycle. It did the same thing as it did before. So I attempted one more time, this time with the purple lidar cover off. When the cycle tried to start, the bot moved out from the charger but the lidar didn't spin just like before. I decided to spin it by hand and it's like the motor decided to kick in and continue to move it. So I paused the cycle, placed the purple cover back on and resumed the cycle and the bot finished the whole cycle without issues.

Any ideas why it would decide to start spinning after giving it some help?
Ra\/en

Postby JEfromCanada » March 5th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Maybe the brush is starting to get a bit worn and isn't making good contact with the coil.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » March 5th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Sticky lidar spin start is a long reported problem. The spin bearing can be clogged or worn, the motor brushes can be worn, the belt stretched loose. Inside the lidar shown in long video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLGBzEumAM&list=UUllFkMo5A0V5UKYNltNEt4Q&index=9
Main thread on this http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17034
Sticky might suggest the bearing if it runs ok after getting started, but who knows.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Ra\/en » March 6th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like there are a few fail points for these BotVacs. The O-ring drive belt didn't seem to worn like it could slip. I haven't torn apart the motor to check the brushes to see if they are worn. I am wondering if it could be the bearing. Is the original sealed? There was some dog hair around the Lidar when I took it apart so if it's non-sealed, its possible that its gummed up and just has a hard time starting to spin from the bot. It had no issues at all though with 5V being fed to it while I had it off the bot.
Ra\/en

Postby vic7767 » March 6th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Ra\/en wrote: I am wondering if it could be the bearing. Is the original sealed?
The original Lidar turret bearing is not sealed at all. To test if the bearing is binding will require the O-ring to be taken away from the turret plastic mount groove assembly so the housing can be turned by hand, feeling for resistance.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Ra\/en » March 6th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Thanks for the info about testing the bearing. I will hopefully do that tonight or tomorrow.
Ra\/en

Postby shirgal » March 6th, 2017, 3:34 pm

Ra\/en
Also make sure the motor pulley which drive the silicon red belt is not dropped down closed to base,
If it touches the friction will prevent the Lidar motor from start.
shirgal
Robot Addict

Postby Ra\/en » March 6th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Thanks for the heads up shirgal. I will definitely check that too.
Ra\/en

Postby ken800 » March 23rd, 2017, 12:10 pm

my D75 botvac is 1.5 years old and last week started giving me a message that says:

3000 failure
press OK to continue

it doesn't say my vision is blocked or anything like that. When I press the start button, it rolls forward off the charger, spins up the brish, then stops. It tries again 2 more times then flashes the above message.

If I spin the lidar counter-clockwise using a q-tip once it starts, it will spin up and the botvac will happily begin the vacuum process and continue for about 50 minutes or so until it returns for recharge. On recharge, it tries to go again and fails.

I have cleaned it over and over again and the lidar motor seems to spin freely without any grit or resistance. I can only assume there is either a motor issue or a belt.

I've looked for the parts online and can't find them and I've not yet been inside the unit? What is the torx bit size first of all? I need to go buy a long one so I can reach the deep screws. Where can I get parts to fix this?

Second, any suggestions on fixing this issue? Could it be battery related?
ken800

Postby glnc222 » March 23rd, 2017, 1:02 pm

Torx T10 long shank bit or screw driver needed. Disassembly video http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17831
Sticky lidars can be caused by worn out motors, belts, clogging or wear in the turret spin bearing and the slip ring commutator. See links in Mods & Repairs index list main forum page.

[edit] Over USB the lidar can be run without the brushes or drive wheel motors to eliminate possible excess load on a worn out battery -- and on the dock with dock power. Neato Control Program.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics