Neato firmware changelog

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato firmware changelog

Postby calypso » March 8th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Quick one, anyone know where you can find a changlog for the firmware updates?
My D3 just received an update this morning and I am curious as to what has been changed.
calypso

Re: Neato firmware changelog

Postby glnc222 » March 8th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Changelogs are more for general purpose computers and programs, not robotic products. An old complaint. There might be comments on the company website about improvements to their products, new features, but they are not in the habit of revealing faults in the firmware -- somewhat understandable in the era of internet trolling. The changelog is simple: "sundry and miscellaneous improvements". I don't think printer makers do changelogs either. Their changes are often just for PC operating system revisions. In robots the OS and application are done together.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby jdong » March 8th, 2017, 8:30 pm

It's sadly not just due to "internet trolling". It's legally gray if listing a specific bugfix constitutes admission of guilt that a defect existed :(
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » March 8th, 2017, 9:20 pm

There have never been any bugs, in the sense of crashes, reported in this kind of firmware, any more than in printers. These applications are simpler than things involving user interfaces and general purpose systems and actual errors can be covered before release. There may be some with newer WiFi applications which once again interacts with a larger tech environment. The software changes are improvements in design of the robot behavior or stuff for hardware changes, which are not bugs in the same sense. For example, Neato robots clean one certain size area at a time, and they have tweaked the size of the area over time.

In general purpose software, there is an understanding such systems are not perfect and subject to constant adjustments, works in progress -- hence the changelogs. The robot operations have been refined for several years so there is not much to add except in new models to pay for them. Samsung added a three pass move into corners recently, but did not supply any updates to old systems to add that, even though the hardware is virtually the same. They did make three updates to a WiFi model I suspect was for complications of the WiFi itself, with all the security and what not (making cell phones you would think they could get this right.)
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby joncrocks » March 9th, 2017, 8:19 am

glnc222 wrote:Changelogs are more for general purpose computers and programs, not robotic products.

I must strongly disagree. Changelogs are common for any and all software, including software that has interactions with hardware. In any sufficiently sophisticated software product there will be bugs/'features', which are addressed as found/reported, including improvements where appropriate.

Typically in a product such as this any update would include some (even high-level) detail as to what was changed, although often they will just report headline feature changes and 'Other minor fixes and enhancements'. I can see these for the latest update when I log into 'my neato' and select 'software update' for my robot.
joncrocks

Postby calypso » September 17th, 2017, 4:23 am

Another firmware update. Still no bloody idea what's it's about.
calypso

Postby bcarpenter » September 17th, 2017, 7:58 am

Interesting, what firmware update? Mine is showing up as software version 2.2.0 still, without any updates.
bcarpenter

Postby calypso » September 17th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Didnt think to take down the number, but it was for my D3.
calypso

Return to Neato Robotics