Neato Botvac D cycling on/off

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato Botvac D cycling on/off

Postby amarker22 » March 21st, 2017, 2:09 pm

I have a Neato Botvac D and when I set it to clean all it does is start the vacuum motor, then start the brush motor, then the motors turn off. It repeats this 3 times with no error message, only the error beep. Then it returns to the default menu screen like nothing has happened. I tried to take apart the brush motor assembly and found some hair inside of the belt area, I cleaned that off and lubricated it with silicone and reassembled. I also cleaned some hair out of the brush ball bearing as well. Everything now seems to move very well, but it still does the same start/stop cycle. If you have any idea what is going on, that would be much appreciated.

Sorry if there was a previous post about this, I tried searching/looking and couldn't find one.
amarker22

Re: Neato Botvac D cycling on/off

Postby glnc222 » March 21st, 2017, 3:36 pm

One possibility is that when the brush motor starts the additional load on the battery is sufficient to reveal a worn out or defective battery, causing voltage to drop below the level required to operate the system, and detected by the software causing a shut down. Another possibility is that after the brush motor starts the lidar starts (I am not sure of the sequence), and a lidar defect is detected. The Neato Control Program over USB can assist in locating the failure.
Generally problems cannot be diagnosed well without a known good battery. When reporting a problem it is important to mention how old the unit is and how often it was run. The battery has a limited life per the manual and one might come up accidentally poorly made with shorter than normal life.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby amarker22 » March 21st, 2017, 3:55 pm

That would make sense, except that this is our second one of this model and it is about a month or two old. The previous one we had did the same thing, and Neato replaced it with this one. I ran it on the NeatoControl program over USB and it powered up both the vacuum and brush no problem, I didn't check what the voltages were reading though. I would venture that the battery isn't the problem in this case though.
amarker22

Postby glnc222 » March 21st, 2017, 5:30 pm

Repairing robots can be expensive, not to mention tools needed. If it cannot be repaired under warranty, and your are not satisfied with Neato Robotics, there are other brands. Samsung had been running a sale on Powerbot models even cheaper than Neato's.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby debbietam » February 9th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Was there a resolution on this? my Botvac D80 is doing this same thing and I've just changed and fully charged the battery.
debbietam

Postby slurf » March 11th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Hello,

I have the same issue and I recently changed battery and then everything worked flawless for about 2 weeks and now this. This unit has been running 3 times a week for the last 2+ years. For a short moment I was able to see there was an issue showing on the screen shortly after the last iteration. I'll try to hook up the diagnostics tool to see if I find something. Is it anyone that has been able to make their neato to start working again after this issue occurred ? if so please document the surgery (:

Note, this is a Neato botvac d85.

Cheers
slurf

Postby Medtech » March 12th, 2018, 3:56 pm

you should take a short video of what is happening, sometimes users do not notice some things that you should pay attention to.
Thank you GOOGLE translator for the freedom of communication.
Medtech
Robot Addict

Postby TechGuy » March 12th, 2018, 6:32 pm

It sounds like the infamous Botvac LIDAR spinning up and stop 3 times bug.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby pixie » August 14th, 2018, 7:28 am

Hi,

I had this same issue one week ago. After following the maintenance procedure to clean the laser on the top the robot behavior went ok.
Hope it helps...
pixie

Return to Neato Robotics