Ides for Brush blades for the Neato? Possible?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Ides for Brush blades for the Neato? Possible?

Postby 3kgt » April 20th, 2017, 2:10 am

Im really tierd of tangeled hair wich then goes to the damn brush bearing in my Botvac 70E
The Samsung Ide in the 7000 modells is great
Im thinking of a modfor our botvacs?
I did try a regular shaving razor blade..im not so sure if thats a good ide.
Any tips? Ides ?
Love robot vacums :)
Today: Neato Botvac 70E
Tested: Neato XV-14,15, Signature pro & Irobot 521,581, 630,650,780 + 2 Samsung modells + XV-25 + Scooba 230
3kgt
Robot Addict

Re: Ides for Brush blades for the Neato? Possible?

Postby glnc222 » April 20th, 2017, 3:55 am

I doubt you can reproduce the special cutters on the Samsung, though I have not seen them up close and am not sure how they work. They might not be a simple blade but some micro structure. It might be related to one of those Gillette razors with multiple blades.

To clean hair wrapped around the shaft you may find the small scissors on Swiss knives useful.
Be sure and clean hair out of the regular bearing often as damaging the bearing can cause damage to the case from friction heating. This is avoided in the D model brush with the Vorwerk bushing instead of bearing. Those brushes can be used in the older Botvac by cutting off a flange in the case and brush guard side to make room, but they just prevent damage to the bearing, not do anything about the hair itself.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby 3kgt » April 20th, 2017, 6:51 am

glnc222 wrote:I doubt you can reproduce the special cutters on the Samsung, though I have not seen them up close and am not sure how they work. They might not be a simple blade but some micro structure. It might be related to one of those Gillette razors with multiple blades.

To clean hair wrapped around the shaft you may find the small scissors on Swiss knives useful.
Be sure and clean hair out of the regular bearing often as damaging the bearing can cause damage to the case from friction heating. This is avoided in the D model brush with the Vorwerk bushing instead of bearing. Those brushes can be used in the older Botvac by cutting off a flange in the case and brush guard side to make room, but they just prevent damage to the bearing, not do anything about the hair itself.

Im aware of the D modells brush. But it would be intresstning and good if we would make a "fix" for the hair cutting.
It can be done, but would need the right blade! or Modd. For example placing to "blade like" cutters on the the far sides of the brush will in teroy cutting them when they come close to the edges and brush bearings. The blades of the samsung when watched on there advertize is not a regular blade, but a saw looking blade. hard 2 explane. have alsaw tried to find a picture without luck yet.
Tested: Neato XV-14,15, Signature pro & Irobot 521,581, 630,650,780 + 2 Samsung modells + XV-25 + Scooba 230
3kgt
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » April 20th, 2017, 2:53 pm

You might have to cut off some of the side of the brush vanes, but it might be possible to fit a bit of window screen material, metal or fiberglass, even roam rubber, over the bearing area to keep out fiber. Moldable epoxy is sometimes useful. All depends on fine details of construction. Vic7767 had once tried some foam on the unshielded brush drive belt on oldest Neato's.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 24th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Close up of the Samsung cutting fixture on the brush guard hoop insides from advt. Insufficient resolution for finest detail, but the complexity is visible. It does not look practical to make by hand. Some special material.
[edit] abrasive grinding material, some sort of sand paper? Hair could get spun across it around the hoop inside as the brush turns dragging the hair around (at about 900 RPM from 9000 measurements)...

[edit] An owner described these "The best way to describe them is like a curved file."
Also note the brush is all blades, no bristles, to push the fibers against the cutters.

HairCutters.jpg
Last edited by glnc222 on April 30th, 2017, 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby 3kgt » April 25th, 2017, 2:07 am

THx..now we have more to go on..sadly have not had the time. But i do have 2 extra brushes at home, will try to test some stuff when time is avalible.
I thought it was blades/knife like in the V7000..
3kgt
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » April 25th, 2017, 4:32 am

New for the 7000. I mention 9000 just as estimate of the brush RPM assumed similar. No cutters on 9000. Frame from latest Korean, review video posted by piokrza. It looks easy enough to add to the 9000 except it has a wider brush so extra manufacture. Never know with this many model maker (to a famous tune from a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta).
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics