Neato ESP8266 Remote control (www.neatoscheduler.com)

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato ESP8266 Remote control (www.neatoscheduler.com)

Postby fly » June 23rd, 2017, 9:55 am

I actually have about 10 Wemos D1 minis sitting here on my desk. Just need to pull the trigger on the vac!

edit: I show the Botvac 80 as $259 for a refurb.
fly

Postby HawtDogFlvrWtr » June 23rd, 2017, 10:02 am

you have to catch a refurb that's not prime and from amazon. also, woot has them now and again for even cheaper.
HawtDogFlvrWtr

Postby mfortuna » June 29th, 2017, 12:10 am

Bummer. I got the board from Chris and finally took apart my XV-11. It has the rev 64 board so no serial port. I do have the proper USB cable and an adapter board. I may try to kludge something up. At least I know how to take apart my Neato now.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby fly » June 29th, 2017, 11:30 am

mfortuna wrote:Bummer. I got the board from Chris and finally took apart my XV-11. It has the rev 64 board so no serial port. I do have the proper USB cable and an adapter board. I may try to kludge something up. At least I know how to take apart my Neato now.

I anxiously wait your results.
fly

Postby 4tune » July 2nd, 2017, 9:24 am

Hi, nice project!

I saw on your milestones tab that you're trying to find an edge connector, but no success so far. Maybe user yadur found one?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19557

yadur wrote:I did some Photoshop measuring and a quick mock-up and it looks like your guess is correct:

It looks like an 0.1" pitch based on the 4mmx4mm WQFN package size of the DRV8800 motor driver (U25).

I also extended the connector to the board edge and a 2x5 connector might fit (but not without removing the case):
IMG_6810.jpg

I don't think that the connections on the board will tolerate many plugging and unplugging cycles as my connections were already pretty badly scratched from factory testing.

I did some searching myself. Edac type 392-010-559-201 could do the job?

http://www.edac.net/product-details-128-cardedge+
4tune

Postby BenB » July 12th, 2017, 12:38 pm

I've watched your video's and downloaded the sketch to my ESP8266. I can see a broadcast SSID: "neato" and I can join it and get a IP address. But neato.local does not load, I get DNS Errors. I suspect its because in the source file located at https://github.com/HawtDogFlvrWtr/botvac-wifi, does not contain the "data" folder, with index.html and setup.html. Can you provide insight on what I am missing or where I can get a hold of the data folder, I'm very interested in using neatoscheduler.com?

[quote="HawtDogFlvrWtr"]https://www.neatoscheduler.com. I have put up several detailed videos from wiring the 8266, to programming it, and also website account creation and list of features.

If you're interested in a free module, pm me with your name and address. I have 8 as it stands right now, but will be making more later. If you're interested in viewing the source, it can be found here: https://github.com/HawtDogFlvrWtr/botvac-wifi
BenB

Postby HawtDogFlvrWtr » July 12th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Create an account on neatoscheduler.com and go to the my profile area. you'll see a button at the bottom to download the latest build. Once you have that, push that bin to your device and it should work as it should. There is an option in the arduino ide to upload a binary, you'll have to use that. I'm going to be posting a video soon with these instructions. It's a better option than using the github source.

After you've gotten a good build on the device, future updates can be done from the devices neato.local/update web address. A video of this process is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlquKOeu0Vs
HawtDogFlvrWtr

Postby BenB » July 14th, 2017, 1:16 pm

The issue I am having is that neato.local will not resolve. I get DNS errors reported back from the Google Chrome browser. So there is no way to upload the latest .bin through the esp8266.

I suspect that its because I do not have the "data" folder you mentioned was super important in your first video. Without a index.html or setup.html files, I suspect that the basic info for neato.local to load its index.html page is not available. I'm no expert, what do you think?
BenB

Postby HawtDogFlvrWtr » July 14th, 2017, 1:20 pm

I eliminated the data folder and rolled everything into the main file, so it would work on smaller devices without additional file storage. Also, the dns portion is a separate operation that runs outside of the data folder, so it should still work, unless dns is whacky on the box/dns server you're using. Have you tried accessing it through the IP address? I've not experienced this with the 43 other people that are on the site already, so I suspect it's something internal to your setup.

There is a way to update the firmware through the arduino IDE that you used to burn the image initially. You can use the bin file from the site and just upload that directly. I suspect that it won't make a difference though, as I'm not sure it's a firmware issue. Try visiting the site with it's ip address, that you get from your routers device list. It should still respond by IP address also.
HawtDogFlvrWtr

Postby BenB » July 14th, 2017, 1:33 pm

I have tried every combination of addresses I can think of. I'll screen shot and show you.
Step 1. join: "neato" AP:
SSID: neato
Protocol: 802.11g
Security type: Open
Network band: 2.4 GHz
Network channel: 1
IPv4 address: 192.168.4.2
IPv4 DNS Servers: 192.168.4.1
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6250 AGN
Driver version: 15.12.0.8
Physical address (MAC): ‎64-80-99-7B-B1-F8

Step 2. Open neato.local
Windows Explorer is unable to connect to neato.local or it's http://192.168.4.1
BenB

Postby HawtDogFlvrWtr » July 14th, 2017, 1:34 pm

can you ping the ip?
HawtDogFlvrWtr

Postby BenB » July 14th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Yes I can ping 192.168.4.1 no data loss.
BenB

Postby BenB » July 14th, 2017, 1:42 pm

FYI: The esp8622 is not installed in the Vac its just operating on my bench, prior to physical install.
BenB

Postby HawtDogFlvrWtr » July 14th, 2017, 1:43 pm

that's probably your issue. it's probably stuck in a loop trying to connect to the device to push to the servers for verification. as a security measure to ensure someone doesn't hijack your device, I make it dump those services unless it's confident that it's configured properly and can pull the serial number from the device. The serial number, and your wifi information are stored in a location on the device for later use when the device is restarted. It won't be able to write that file if it doesn't have a serial. Once it's locked to a device, it can't be tampered with by someone else. When working IOT devices, I think backwards as far as security to ensure someone doesn't break into your internal network. I also made it work that way, because at some point i'm going to have it pull it's own network information from neatoscheduler.com, so you don't need to even visit the local web interface to configure it later (like changing AP's)
Last edited by HawtDogFlvrWtr on July 14th, 2017, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawtDogFlvrWtr

Postby BenB » July 14th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Very Cool! I'll install in the machine and try again. Thank you for your time.
BenB

Postby BenB » July 15th, 2017, 11:03 am

HawtDogFlvrWtr,

The Esp8266 is installed in the neato, the SSID: neato, is visable still and I can join and get an IP address that is pingable with 0 loss... But still neato.local will not load. Any other advice you can offer?

Or if I'm hosed, please let me buy one of your esp8266's pre-programed?

I ordered 2 Witty Board ES8266's that just arrived. I was able to access the Neato AP and program my wifi. After it reboot, I installed the ESP8266 into the Neato and its connected and working correctly without any changes to the Master Download file.

However, I cannot connect to the Neato through Neato.local or send the latest firmware through neato.local/console.

I can connect to the Neato.local via the ESP8266 via the IP Address: http://192.1xx.0.52/console, id guess this is because I have two routers in the house.

Ben
Last edited by BenB on July 31st, 2017, 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BenB

Postby HawtDogFlvrWtr » July 15th, 2017, 11:05 am

Text me your address. I'll mail you one.
HawtDogFlvrWtr

Postby waspie » July 17th, 2017, 10:25 am

for whatever reason the scheduler portion isn't working for mine. i also can't access neato.local. both of which are fine, no big deal.
I use openhab and would be fine sending it commands through there. Is there a url i can hit that will start it cleaning like http://ip.of.botvac/clean ?
waspie

Postby 4tune » July 25th, 2017, 7:06 am

When done programming the 8266 using a PL2303 serial adapter without any obvious errors it doesn’t broadcast a neato SSID. Any suggestion where to start debugging?

Also, would you elaborate on updating to the latest firmware (binary) using Arduino IDE, not OTA?
4tune

PreviousNext

Return to Neato Robotics