DC00 won't connect to wi-fi

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

DC00 won't connect to wi-fi

Postby RoboFilch » June 17th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here can help because I spent about an hour talking to Neato customer support with no luck. My DC00 won't connect to my wireless. When I enter the wi-fi password, nothing happens. No flashing X saying it's trying to connect.

A further issue is that my router will only allow port forwarding with a specific IP and the Neato won't get one until it connects. I've reserved it an IP address and forwarded ports 80 and 443 but it hasn't changed anything and I think that's because the issue I'm having isn't about connecting to Neato's servers but our wi-fi. Just to confirm, our wi-fi is 2.4GHz.

Is there any way of getting around this issue with connecting it to the PC and manually entering the info? Any help would be appreciated!
RoboFilch

Re: DC00 won't connect to wi-fi

Postby glnc222 » June 17th, 2017, 3:44 pm

I don't think these robots are made to work with port forwarding and other enterprise security features on routers. Other brands aren't telling anyone port numbers and such needed.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby RoboFilch » June 17th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Neato customer service told me to do it. It's the only way to open ports on my Netgear router. My issue is more with getting it to connect to my wi-fi, not Neato's servers (which is what the port forwarding is for).
RoboFilch

Postby glnc222 » June 17th, 2017, 10:44 pm

I have not used Neato WiFi only Samsung, but there are some similarities in how all these systems work. One thing was the robots are switched temporarily to an Access Point mode, similar to a router, for connection to the smartphone directly, for delivering the router password to the robot, which then switches to router connection. Or the Neato is always in AP mode until it is supplied with a password -- though there would have to be some app option to repeat setup, for switching routers. There is a button on the robot to do this on samsung, no idea how Neato is set up, should be in the manual.

The consequence is the phone must be near the robot to get a connection, maybe harder than contact with the router. I gather the server is informed by the app when setting up how to contact the robot through the router.
When operating the robot from a remote location, some systems may go through a server -- for security -- instead of directly over internet to the router and the robot. The companies are not very clear about such things.

There was a possibly similar problem with a Samsung on routers configured with security, with a user trying "guest network" features, which did not work. I think the robot gets confused with multiple networks present. The expert advice was to just give the password for the router to the robot per the instructions. The router has to be setup with particular common feature options used by the robots, which should be in the manual -- no fixed IP addresses for example, on Samsung -- assigned by the router, simplest option.

There are two connections involved, smartphone app to the router and remote server, and the robot connection to the router.

I would not expect customer service to know everything needed about WiFi network complications. The engineers don't instruct them fully on all the variations.

Surprising there is no way to configure the NetGear modem without port forwarding. Defaults I would think do none of that, and if set that way, every device has to be configured with the security. Stuff for IT depts more than home use? Maybe the robot WiFi radio is defective.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby RoboFilch » June 18th, 2017, 6:19 am

Actually, that last sentence is a really good (and OBVIOUS) point! I should take the robot to a friend's house and attempt connecting it there to be sure it does actually work and therefore is my network/router that's the issue.

I did all of the other attempts the correct way, through the app and as instructed first by the manual, then by customer service. It just never seems to attempt connecting to my wi-fi after I've connected to it as an access point, gone back to the app, selected the wi-fi and entered the password.
RoboFilch

Postby mfortuna » June 18th, 2017, 9:31 am

If your cell phone supports it create a wireless hotspot and see if the robot will connect to that.

Is there way to assign a fixed IP address to the Neato? If it relies on DHCP then it won't use the IP address that you set up port forwarding on.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby JEfromCanada » June 19th, 2017, 12:43 am

Many routers allow you to reserve a particular IP address for a particular device. In effect, even with DHCP, the Neato will always get assigned the same IP address by the router.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby ubiquitous » June 19th, 2017, 3:26 pm

I do not think any port forwarding is needed. The robot initiates the connection to either cometa.neatocloud.com (if on firmware 2.0.0) or to nucleo.neatocloud.com:4443 (if on a firmware over 2.0.0). The two servers on the robot are only used for setting the correct wifi and one for controlling the robot manually over websocket. The server for setting the wifi is even disabled after the initial configuration is done if you are on a firmware over 2.0.0 and the websocket server is only for LAN connections and is not available to be used from WAN. You should make sure that you can resolve and connect to https://cometa.neatocloud.com/ or https://nucleo.neatocloud.com:4443/ and that you don't have any middleware proxy that resigns (MiTM) the ssl connection as the robot won't allow you to connect to the server if presented with an invalid certificate.

All that said, you could also try temporarily removing your access points password an see if you're able to initiate the connection that way, I believe the software has problems with overly long or complex passwords.
ubiquitous

Return to Neato Robotics