Neato Quality Improved? Thinking about D80

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato Quality Improved? Thinking about D80

Postby dman777 » July 20th, 2017, 12:09 am

The dustbin switch on my Neato Botvac 80 finally went out after a year and half. I have to say that I went through quit a few of the BotVac 80s with in the first 2 months trying to get one that worked that didn't have a sensor or wheel motor broke.

Has the quality of the BotVacs improved? I was thinking about getting the D80. I don't care for the Roomba because of the random patterns and less suction power.
dman777

Re: Neato Quality Improved? Thinking about D80

Postby Onky » August 14th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Has the quality of the BotVacs improved? I was thinking about getting the D80. I don't care for the Roomba because of the random patterns and less suction power.

I got a D80 about 8 months ago. It does its job considerably well, and I have a cat that sheds a lot of hair.

So far there were no issues, except one: the dustbin would not stay in place anymore. The stiff latch in the robot's body started to wear off, and it couldn't hold the dustbin in place. At the same time, the latch "lip" on the dustbin itself showed no signs of wear. After more than a month of communicating with Neato support and waiting, they sent a replacement dustbin that has a slightly bigger "lip." That helped, but I keep wondering for how long. The latch itself is improperly designed - it should have been a spring-loaded lock to avoid the whole problem, not just a stiff plastic hook. If it continues to wear off, even the new dustbin is going to start to pop out sooner or later.

When I pointed out that design flaw to them (the bad lock, not the bin), I got sort of a BS response back, along the lines of "Huh? We gave you a new dustbin, what else do you want?" :think:
Onky

Return to Neato Robotics