Neato XV Low Battery Despite Taking a Charge - SOLVED!

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Neato XV Low Battery Despite Taking a Charge

Postby glnc222 » August 2nd, 2017, 2:48 pm

I think the rear resistor change relates to the dock change instead of the system board revision to Rev64. It interacts with the dock not the bot internals. So the old docks do not see the resistor in the new bots without it, while the new docks don't care if they see it in the old robots -- backwards compatible as they say. There is also a small voltage difference in the old and new docks the robot can detect, could be used in software.

How do you tell the diode D3 is bad without removing it from the circuit board? No voltage across it, shorted out?

Diode D14 failure leaks battery voltage back into the charging contacts, which might show current drain from the rear resistor, though it has not been measured, just theoretical possibility. D14 failure can prevent cleaning by locking the bot in charging mode, or prevent docking by creating a false dock voltage signal (already docked...).
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Shanew » August 3rd, 2017, 7:29 am

Thanks again, glnc222. I tested the diode and measured no voltage across it. I assume from this that the diode is bust. I've order a few online and should hopefully arrive early next week. I solder it then and fingers crossed it solves the problem.

Worst case, I'll have to buy a new dock.
Shanew

Postby TechGuy » August 3rd, 2017, 11:32 am

Shanew wrote:Thanks again, glnc222. I tested the diode and measured no voltage across it. I assume from this that the diode is bust. I've order a few online and should hopefully arrive early next week. I solder it then and fingers crossed it solves the problem.

Worst case, I'll have to buy a new dock.

When a diode is conducting, it should have 0.5V across the diode.
http://en-us.fluke.com/training/trainin ... meter.html
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
For Sale: Black CHM 2 Ball Bearings set
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » August 3rd, 2017, 2:21 pm

For the most complete investigation disconnect one end only of the faulty diode and put an ammeter in series. See if that is where the 0.4 amp unusual current drain noticed is. See if current direction is the wrong way for a working diode. Maybe even get readings running motors with USB test commands. Fun and games -- more interesting than cleaning...
Test the diode after removing from the board, with a resistor and battery.
A complete circuit diagram is needed to fully reveal the situation, not available (parts of the charging circuit have been traced, for diode D14 -- don't know where D3 is). What if some mosfet switch has turned off voltage applied to the diode? Then there might be no voltage across it. It depends on what is on the other side of the diode as well. Voltage on each end should also be measured relative to the system ground, black wire on the battery and other convenient points, besides just between the two ends.
glnc222
Robot Master

Re: Neato XV Low Battery Despite Taking a Charge - SOLVED!

Postby Shanew » August 17th, 2017, 9:05 am

Sorry for the late update but I had to be certain that my XV Signature Pro was indeed, back working. I am very happy to report that the issue is now resolved after a replacement of diode D3, located on the board contained in the dock.

Thank you to all that contributed and hopefully this thread will help anyone else that has a similar issue :D

:cheers:
Shanew

Previous

Return to Neato Robotics