How to clean Neato Ultra Performance filters?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

How to clean Neato Ultra Performance filters?

Postby 776d493c51 » August 11th, 2017, 7:43 am

Hello!
I would like to know how to clean these Ultra Performance filters (Neato Botvac Connected). There is a lot of dust between the actual filter and the fine mesh, I've tried to vacuum it with my now retired (I have a Neato now :D ) vacuum cleaner, but it didn't work at all. The mesh seems to be fixed to the plastic shell with something like silicon.
776d493c51

Re: How to clean Neato Ultra Performance filters?

Postby Tris » August 12th, 2017, 8:00 am

I use this method, a normal high performance filter with a ladies foot sock as a pre-filter:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19357

It does the same thing as the ultra filter but is much easier to clean! ;)
Tris
Robot Groupie

Postby 776d493c51 » August 12th, 2017, 11:05 am

Well, I'd like to reuse my current filters that were included with the robot. Would it work if I would just remove existing mesh and put a sock on it? Maybe there is a way I could reuse existing mesh?
776d493c51

Postby glnc222 » August 12th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Looks like they aren't made to be cleaned except outside the pre-filter. Just silicone glue holding it on. Similar has been made on the Pet filter wrapping with a single ply tissue removable. When the high perf wears out, the frame could be saved to make them out of furnace filter material cheaper. It is not clear cleaning off the fine dust observed would extend the filter life any.

The filter state can be observed using the fan current reported over USB (increase in total system current on Botvac), a proxy for air flow; compare to blocked intake and new filter measures (thread "electronic filter monitoring").

Surprising the higher end Samsung Powerbots actually perform this measurement with the computer and show a filter clogging icon on the display panel, but not apparently in the newer small bin 7000's. With the new WiFi-only Neato's lacking USB connections, it is not clear what measurements can be obtained from their system. Up to the Neato Developers Network for WiFi apps, what is in the software. No reports yet from programmers.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby 776d493c51 » August 12th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Well at least mine (Botvac Connected) and probably others have USB port used for firmware updates, couldn't it be used for this task?
776d493c51

Postby glnc222 » August 12th, 2017, 4:12 pm

The original Botvac Connected has the USB port, but the newest D3, D5 connected models, I gather do not, along with eliminating the on board display in favor of the more powerful smartphone screen. The old USB command language might still be accessible over WiFi, but I have not studied their interface specs -- which at least are supported at the Neato Developers Network for interested programmers. Collecting robots (versus one in use) and programming is a rare combination and the D3 and 5 are very new too boot. More attention has been paid to hacking the cheaper Xiaomi from China, when in it lacked English language display -- with strong demand for that.

The original Botvac Connected is usable with the Neato Control Program other thread here, over USB, along with the text command language on terminal emulator programs. It is more expensive than follow on's from including the USB and onboard display, as well as IR remote.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Onky » August 16th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Instead of using a sock or an extra mesh layer, I learned to use a single layer of toilet paper. Simply split a length of toilet paper into individual layers and wrap the filter in a single layer piece before inserting it into the dustbin. Then tear off any excess that sticks out before putting the bin into the robot. That's it! When cleaning the bin, remove the filter and throw away the paper along with the accumulated debris.

That way the filter stays clean, but still performs as expected. :)
Onky

Postby JEfromCanada » August 16th, 2017, 5:40 pm

I'm sure I probably said this somewhere in the thread (or a similar one), but I save my used dryer sheets for this purpose. It keeps the filter clean, and smells nice!
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Return to Neato Robotics