Neato Connect - Press OK to Continue – Firmware re-install?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato Connect - Press OK to Continue – Firmware re-install?

Postby Thewhitepawn0 » December 2nd, 2017, 9:36 pm

Good evening everyone!

I've spent the better part of today reading through this form, and I've got to say, "Thank you!" to everyone who is part of this community. I had a lot of fun learning more about the different problems and the corresponding solutions people came up with. :cheers:

I think I may have a software issue with my logic board. If I hit the spot clean or clean home button, the robot will run through its cycle: check vacuum, check Laser Turret, check front and side brush. At the end of which, it stops. It will run though this cycle three times before the LCD screen states "Press OK to continue". If I continue to play with it, after 5 or so tries, it will run like normal and do its cleaning cycle.

I've ran through all the trouble shooting steps with Neato. Replaced the battery. (Thanks to this community and site) I've been able to check things with the Neato Control software. Via the Neato Control software, I've been able to test to ensure all buttons and sensors seem to be working and register with the robot.

I believe there is a bug with my logic board. I'd like to reinstall 2.2.0 on my robot, but I'm not sure how. Can anyone help? :help:

Thank you, :thanks:
TheWhitePawn0
Thewhitepawn0

Re: Neato Connect - Press OK to Continue – Firmware re-insta

Postby glnc222 » December 3rd, 2017, 12:09 am

There may be a hardware defect instead of a firmware fault. The "Press OK" msg occurs because the software has detected an error condition under which it will not continue. I think pressing OK reboots the software to start over in case of some temporary glitch in computing, to see if maybe the hardware is ok. If the process repeats, there is usually a hardware defect which needs repair.
Running the motors can sometimes reveal a battery power supply problem as the load is increased, or some problem with motor control.
The Neato Robotics website describes Botvac firmware updating -- done only on the original Connected model -- at
https://www.neatorobotics.com/my-neato/software-update-connected-robots/
(older XV models had a number of updates which are covered separately here; there were no updates issued for the original Botvac's without WiFi; WiFi models can get updates just for the complications of WiFi and fixes to that new functionality in the software).
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Thewhitepawn0 » December 3rd, 2017, 12:41 am

Good evening Glnc222!

Thank you for the quick response! How does one check to see if it is a hardware issue? When running the Neato Control, all parts seem to function like normal. Is there a way to run a test with the Neato Control software and/or through the Command Prompt? Granted. It has been a REALLY long time since I've used the Command Prompt (DOS). I'm not sure how to access my Connect through COM 3 >.<

A hardware issue would be best. I can order and replace out parts no problem. So long as I know what part is wrong.

Thanks!
TheWhitePawn0
Thewhitepawn0

Postby vic7767 » December 3rd, 2017, 1:22 am

Thewhitepawn0 wrote:f I hit the spot clean or clean home button, the robot will run through its cycle: check vacuum, check Laser Turret, check front and side brush. At the end of which, it stops. It will run though this cycle three times before the LCD screen states "Press OK to continue". If I continue to play with it, after 5 or so tries, it will run like normal and do its cleaning cycle.
It would seem that you have accessed the robots internal test program somehow and it seems to be on a loop to repeat until a certain button press sequence stops the loop execution. This is the first time this particular event has been posted.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » December 3rd, 2017, 1:57 am

I think reference to "command" here is the feature in Neato Control to issue Neato USB language commands from within Neato Control, with a data logging repetition feature, one of the tabs on the screen. Commands can also be sent by text with a terminal emulator. The Neato USB manual link is posted here at the top of the forum.

One thing recommended to insure no garbage in memory is interfering with software is to disconnect the battery (by the switch) for a minute to start up fresh when reconnecting.

To detect hardware defects the data from Neato Control (which uses the GetAnalog Sensors command etc.), can be observed before and during the system error message, to see if there is any abnormal sensor data especially voltages and currents in the power system. There is also a USB command to access error messages.

One can always try a firmware reflashing to see what results, but there is just a possibility this will not fix a problem.
In the early days of the original XV models there were frequent software updates as the software was in a "work in progress" state perfecting the operating procedures, but by the time of the Botvac make over those issues had all been resolved.

If the system shows an unusual "updates are available" message, this just means that some fault in the running software was encountered in execution and the system reverted to a back-up internal copy, advising the main copy needs updating.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Thewhitepawn0 » December 3rd, 2017, 2:18 am

Good evening Vic7767!

I'm not sure if it is in a test program. I've tried to do a factory reset (hold spot and home), and it doesn't allow for a factory reset.

The cycle, is the standard cycle that the robot does every time it starts. It just seems right before it is supposed to drive away it stops. It doesn't turn off or anything, just stops. Then goes through the cycle again. Right before it is supposed to move like normal, it stops again. Does a final cycle, then throws the "push OK to continue".

So far, I've been able to get it to clean my house twice. After pushing Ok to continue a few times; it eventually goes. Sometimes after a reset or two. If it stops or goes back to charge, it is highly likely it wont start again. It will throw the "press OK to continue" after trying to cycle all of the systems.

I'm hoping it is a simple hardware problem. I don't know how to diagnose what needs to be replaced. The Neato authorized repair shop quoted me anywhere between 100 and 200 dollars plus shipping. Assuming it isn't the logic board. If it is, it seems i'm SOL. >.<

Help? :help:

Thanks,
TheWhitePawn0
Thewhitepawn0

Postby glnc222 » December 3rd, 2017, 2:42 am

When it seems to stop only after all the motors are engaged, one thing possible over USB is to operate the motors separately and step through the sequence to see what happens. The robot can be supported on top of books or blocks on the wheel suspension arms to depress the wheels as when on the floor (to keep off the sensor switches for picking up off the floor).
The lidar can also be checked with display of the scan over USB in Neato Control.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » December 3rd, 2017, 3:39 am

It is necessary to insure that Test Mode over USB is turned off. If Neato Control is running and not terminated before unplugging the cable Test Mode can be left on. Cleaning is prevented in Test Mode. The TestMode OFF command is needed.
Test Mode does not terminate automatically when disconnecting from USB, and must be closed with a command.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Medtech » December 3rd, 2017, 4:33 pm

It is worth shooting a video with the sound of starting cleaning and pressing the button Ok
Thank you GOOGLE translator for the freedom of communication.
Medtech
Robot Addict

Postby Thewhitepawn0 » December 3rd, 2017, 11:25 pm

MedTech! You've read my mind. :)

Here is a quick video of the issue: https://youtu.be/Ibd-mZrsUPs I just uploaded it to Youtube.

Normally the Botvac Connect will pull away from the base before doing its thing, this time it did not. >.<

Just checked it a few minutes ago. I pulled away from the base like normal, and did the exact same thing as shown in the video above. I did get it to run last night though and do a cleaning cycle.

I can ensure everyone here that the device was not in test mode. I made sure to uncheck the box and disconnect via the software before unplugging the cable.

Thank you!
TheWhitePawn0
Thewhitepawn0

Postby Medtech » January 1st, 2018, 12:50 pm

please give the robot's response to query :
1 GetVersion
2. GetWarranty
I think that the robot has lost part of the configuration file and does not know how to control the drivers of the wheel drives at the first time when starting from the base.
Thank you GOOGLE translator for the freedom of communication.
Medtech
Robot Addict

Postby zyros » February 4th, 2018, 7:03 am

My Neato Connected started to behave the same way. Before this it started to give randomly 2010 and 3000 error codes and sometimes stopped running in the middle of cleaning run. I tested with the console that LDS readings gave sometimes a lot of errors with code 8035, sometimes only zeros and then at last started to give only zeros.

Luckily I had my old Botvac 70e around, which supposedly has a motherboard failure because of dog urine. From it I took the whole turret unit to see would it match to this newer one. The units seemed to be a quite same alike, except the motor is a different size and in different place, but the wires, connectors and the circuit board under the turret seemed to completely same.

And now, the Connected just stopped the first cleaning cycle after the turret change and everything seems to work as before.

Here is a couple of photos from this operation. The left turret in both photos are from the Connected and the right one from the 70e.
Attachments
Image - 1.jpg
Image - 2.jpg
zyros

Postby mfortuna » February 5th, 2018, 7:52 am

It looks like a planned change because the mounting holes for both motors are present on both LIDAR units. My guess is the smaller motor is cheaper.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby robocleaner » February 5th, 2018, 11:46 am

mfortuna wrote:It looks like a planned change because the mounting holes for both motors are present on both LIDAR units. My guess is the smaller motor is cheaper.

The pulley wheels are different sizes too - suggesting the smaller motor with a bigger pulley is running at slower RPM to turn the LIDAR at the right speed? Interesting that it seems to work.
2 x Karcher RC3000 (2005 & 2012), Trilobite ZA1 (2005), Navibot 8855 (2010)
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby glnc222 » February 5th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Is there a part number marked on the new smaller motor, like the old?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby keebler86 » February 27th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Was the OP able to resolve the issue? I am having an identical problem...
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20321#p147095
keebler86

Postby TechGuy » February 27th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Thewhitepawn0 wrote:MedTech! You've read my mind. :)

Here is a quick video of the issue: https://youtu.be/Ibd-mZrsUPs I just uploaded it to Youtube.

Normally the Botvac Connect will pull away from the base before doing its thing, this time it did not. >.<

Just checked it a few minutes ago. I pulled away from the base like normal, and did the exact same thing as shown in the video above. I did get it to run last night though and do a cleaning cycle.

I can ensure everyone here that the device was not in test mode. I made sure to uncheck the box and disconnect via the software before unplugging the cable.

Thank you!
TheWhitePawn0

The youtube video showing common Botvac Connected spinning up/stop 3 times problem. Repair the LIDAR will fix the problem. I fixed 2 Botvac Connected with this problem.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby TechGuy » February 27th, 2018, 9:44 pm

zyros,
Your statemenet "Here is a couple of photos from this operation. The left turret in both photos are from the Connected and the right one from the 70e." is not correct.

The following photo showing the LIDAR on the right with a small motor/pulley is from Botvac Connected

The following photo showing the LIDAR on the left with a small motor is from Botvac Connected

BTW, the LIDAR from Botvac 65, 70E, 75, 80, 85, D70, D80, D85 uses the large motor/thick belt/large pulley from the XV series Neato. the LIDAR Botvac with WiFi features are using small motor/thin belt/small pulley.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby keebler86 » February 28th, 2018, 11:07 pm

TechGuy wrote: Repair the LIDAR will fix the problem. I fixed 2 Botvac Connected with this problem.

TechGuy, thank you for your response! :D Can you elaborate on what you mean by "repair the LIDAR"? Are there certain LIDAR system parts that need replaced (i.e. motor or drive belt) or are you suggesting replacement of the entire LIDAR assembly? :think:

Are there any recommended sources for replacement parts or do I roll the dice on ebay?
keebler86

Postby TechGuy » February 28th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Since I have 2 Botvac Connected to repair. I got a complete LIDAR unit for Botvac 65, 70E, 75, 80, 85, D70, D80, D85 from eBay. I need a working LIDAR as a reference for testing.

This is how I found out there are two types of LIDAR motor/belt/bulley.

I have a spare LIDAR from a XV series. I transplant the larger motor/thick belt/large pulley from the spare XV LIDAR to one of the Connected LIDAR. It works after transplant.

You need to determine what is your LIDAR doing or not doing before deciding what need to replace.
If the LIDAR is not turning, test the motor with a battery.
If the motor is working, is the motor turning at correct RPM.
If the LIDAR is not turning at correct RPM, the belt may be stretched and/or motor is no good.

Be careful what you are ordering as there are two type of LIDAR motor and LIDAR belt. You need to find out what you have in order to buy the correct motor or belt for your LIDAR - large or small motor, thick or thin belt. If you are not doing transplant similar to what I did, you don't need to get new pulley.
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Next

Return to Neato Robotics