Botvac D75 Fails to Return to Charger, enters charging mode

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Botvac D75 Fails to Return to Charger, enters charging mode

Postby webdoctors » January 26th, 2018, 4:10 pm

My Botvac D75 fails to return to charger after cleaning the whole house. It cleans the house and returns to the charging station, rotates, gets close and than stops and assumes its reached the charging base about 1 foot away from it. It starts flashing the light to indicate its charging and the battery symbol has the charging symbol on it.

Its not my video but here's a youtube video of the issue occuring for someone else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIeUEXHwjPY

I have 2 Botvac batteries and 2 dock charging stations and so tried swapping those and it didn't resolve the issue.

I'm familar with this symptom before, as this is actually the 3rd botvac I've had this issue with. The first Botvac worked for 6 months, the second one worked for only 1 week! The 3rd one (this one) worked for 11 months. All 3 eventually succumbed to the same problem of it not returning to the base, and now its past the 1 yr warranty period so need to see what I can do myself to fix the issue.

I'm guessing there's a bad capacitor somewhere that makes the robot think its reached the charging station and started the recharge process although the voltage at the dock (18V) isn't the same as at the Botvac external pins/fins. Is there something I can replace that doesn't involve the entire motherboard/system board?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Looks like my thread is a duplicate of this one, but this other one is an XV vs mine is a D-series.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19996
webdoctors

Re: Botvac D75 Fails to Return to Charger, enters charging m

Postby glnc222 » January 27th, 2018, 12:48 am

This problem was observed periodically on the old XV models and finally traced after years to Diode D14 on those system boards, in the power supply and charging circuit. The same part had been observed locking the bot in charging mode so it would not run. The burned out diode -- under specified so over heats -- leaks battery voltage into the charging plate connection so the software gets a false indication the bot is connected to the dock, sensing charging voltage. The dumb software does not bother to check position with the lidar and give an appropriate error message.
Where the part is on the Botvac system board has not been reported. The circuits involving the charging contacts would need to be traced. The diode is part of mosfet switching circuits to direct power between the dock, battery, and the system, managing the difference between charging and running off the battery etc.
See XV thread http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19996&p=144207&hilit=failure+dock#p144207
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby webdoctors » January 27th, 2018, 1:02 am

Thanks for the reply. From the other thread it definitely sounds like the same issue, as the computer thinks its charging even though not docked.

I don't have very good PCB soldering skills, and a replacement motherboard on ebay is ridiculously expensive ($80-100). I'll just keep using it and manually pushing it to the dock than. Not sure if my next robot will be a Neato, might try the Xiaomi. It seems this diode issue is across their entire design line.
webdoctors

Postby glnc222 » January 28th, 2018, 1:03 am

First reports seen of this on Botvac, which generally seems to have had improved board manufacture, compared to XV. Lot of Xiaomi repairs reported on German Roboter-Forum (lot of users in Europe compared to U.S.). For reliability the more expensive Samsung is my preference, but just a guess; what do they say? "pay me now or pay me later"? Try used and refurbished, open box. But repairs is a hobby in itself... I don't see Neato prices so low, either. Lot of Samsung's minimal models lower. Depends on what you want. "They are the very model of a many model maker"... (Gilbert & Sullivan).
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby webdoctors » March 19th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Sorry for late response, it took repair company a month to repair and send the machine back.

Eventually the machine would stop charging the battery completely so it was totally dead so it had to be repaired. The repair cost was $95 and included shipping the unit both ways, consists of $45 major repair fee, and $50 for diagnostic and shipping.

https://www.funai-oow.com/neato.html

It was cheaper than buying parts off ebay and its authorized by Neato.

The repair warranty is only 3 months, hopefully the new board capacitors are better designed.

I ended up also buying a Neato connected since I didn't want to not have a vacuum for a month. I bought a samsung R4070 but the navigation on it was garbage so returned it. The Samsung robot machines have excellent suction, better than Neato but with broken navigation they're not worth buying.
webdoctors

Postby jboswell1 » May 6th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Found D5 shorted causing this issue. Right next to P6 Charging Connector left side of board. Its the same diode as D14 (F25,13540.) Numbers on diode. If anyone knows where I can get one please send me a msg. Thanks.
jboswell1

Postby glnc222 » May 6th, 2018, 6:43 pm

When replacing diode D14 a more heat resistant, different package can be used. See post at
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=128251#p128251
Perhaps also useful for D5.
Another substitute part mentioned in post
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=126857#p126857
The original board part for D14 was not available.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics