d75 - battery fault + sidebrush fault + lcd fault

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

d75 - battery fault + sidebrush fault + lcd fault

Postby frensis » June 11th, 2018, 7:51 am

Ehr welcome all and thank you for reading.
so, my original battery just got a ne batt frpom amazon- morpilot ,4000mAH 12v 48w

it worked flawlessy for a short period , then it died with a "close bin" error typical.
ok, i've bought a new one, then ,none.
orange led, started blinking fast and theres no way to recharge anything.

- i need to reboot / hard reset several times to get my batt charging, but its not charging (see the log at bottom).
- LCD is working, but LCD BUTTONS dont, moreover, sometimes, LCD get weird with gliches.
- SideBrush doesnt activate from the N Control program, but it work alone if i use an external power source 12v, dignostic says no current on the sidebrush.

i've changed all the capacitors to a 100uf 50v to be sure but, nothing..

Now its charging or it says so, but log:

____ Discrete: ____=
SNSR_DC_JACK_IS_IN=False
SNSR_DUSTBIN_IS_IN=True
SNSR_LEFT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
SNSR_RIGHT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
LSIDEBIT=False
LFRONTBIT=False
LLDSBIT=False
RSIDEBIT=False
RFRONTBIT=False
RLDSBIT=False
____ Analog: ____=
BatteryVoltage=mV=2147483647
BatteryCurrent=mA=2147483647
BatteryTemperature=mC=2147483647
ExternalVoltage=mV=17893
AccelerometerX=mG=-385
AccelerometerY=mG=10
AccelerometerZ=mG=920
VacuumCurrent=mA=0
SideBrushCurrent=mA=0
MagSensorLeft=VAL=0
MagSensorRight=VAL=0
WallSensor=mm=70
DropSensorLeft=mm=0
DropSensorRight=mm=0
____ Buttons: ____=
BTN_SOFT_KEY=False
BTN_SCROLL_UP=False
BTN_START=False
BTN_BACK=False
BTN_SCROLL_DOWN=False
BTN_SPOT=False
____ Charger: ____=
FuelPercent=0
BatteryOverTemp=0
ChargingActive=1
ChargingEnabled=1
ConfidentOnFuel=1
OnReservedFuel=1
EmptyFuel=1
BatteryFailure=0
ExtPwrPresent=1
ThermistorPresent=0
BattTempCAvg=45
VBattV=0.00
VExtV=17.89
Charger_mAH=0
Discharge_mAH=0

any idea?
T Y in advance
frensis

Re: d75 - battery fault + sidebrush fault + lcd fault

Postby valamilamasag » June 11th, 2018, 3:21 pm

By any chance, did you plug the battery connector in reversed (even just for a few moments)? Not reverse polarity.
Seems like the SMBus is down (guessing from the RAW values).
valamilamasag

Postby frensis » June 11th, 2018, 3:59 pm

thank you for replying, can you explain better the REVERSED sstuff ? battery has 4 pin, red t1 t2 black. how can i reverse it without reversing polarity?
frensis

Postby frensis » June 11th, 2018, 4:54 pm

I think i could have found a burnt component. c12
all the other are much brighter in color, this one is really dark, and is the only one of this color on the pcb

if my guess is correct, where can i buy a new one?
pic is made with a usb microscope.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AsFRJ6 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LMXUk3 ... sp=sharing
frensis

Postby valamilamasag » June 14th, 2018, 3:04 pm

frensis wrote:REVERSED sstuff ?

The battery connector has 6 pins, but only 4 used by the battery. The two unused ones are for the SMBus (smart battery). One of the thermistor pins are connected to ground. If you accidentally try to plug the connector in reversed then the normally 3.3V SMBus line gets +12V killing the SOC's I2C and the fuel gauge IC. If that's the case then its not repairable.
Its easy to pull the whole connector (plastic part) out from the motherboard, then it can be plugged in reversed.

That capacitor just made from a different material, looks good.

Side brush:
Enter test mode -> you should see the battery voltage of the side brush pins (on both if the side brush motor is connected).
Enable the sidebrush motor -> one of the pins shoud go to 0V. If not:
Check Q4, one of the pins should be around 5V (on the side that faces the small white circle, pins 1-4).
Be careful when measuring, shorting any of the pins on it will cause other components to fail.
If you are not seeing (nearly) 4-5V on any of the pins then:
Check U12. The small white circle marks Pin 1, and you count clockwise. Pin 1 should be 1.8V, pin2 0V, pin5 1.8V, pin6 5V. Pin4 is the output, same as Q4-s input.
Pin3 is the input from the main SOC, should be above 0V (maybe around 1-1.2V). If you do not see this voltage on it then the main SoC is faulty -> not repairable, but a workaround is possible. See http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20413.

SMBus: check that 3.3V is present on both the unused battery pins. If not -> try to measure resistance between ground and them. Should be open circuit. If not try knock off the ESD diodes and check for short again. If its short to ground (anything below 1k ohm basically) then you are in no luck, either the main SoC or the fuel gauge IC is defective. The later one can be replaced.

If 3.3V is present on the SMBus:
check that the 5V supply is working for the fuel gauge: one of the pins of U3 should be around 5V (3-5V). If thats not present then you have to reverse engineer which IC provides that (I didn't do it, mine was working). This 5V is always there, even if the bot is not powered on, but has power.

If the SMBus "seems ok" then attach a wires to the SDA and SCK pins of the fuel gauge IC (u4) and ground. Get a logic analyzer and check for bus activity, and specifically aim at the address of the fuel gauge IC and see if it pulls the ACK bit down during communication. If it does not then you can replace u4, see the link above.

BTW when you said you replaced all the capacitors, I hope that you put low ESR variants near the dcdc power supply. Its also worth checking that the ripple voltage of the power supplies are within a reasonable amount.

For the LCD I cant say anything.

frensis wrote:BatteryVoltage=mV=2147483647
BatteryCurrent=mA=2147483647
BatteryTemperature=mC=2147483647
FuelPercent=0
ConfidentOnFuel=1
OnReservedFuel=1
EmptyFuel=1
ThermistorPresent=0
BattTempCAvg=45
VBattV=0.00
Charger_mAH=0
Discharge_mAH=0

These are all measured by the fuel gauge IC (u4), and they all seem like default/fallback values. u4, smbus or main SOC failure.

frensis wrote:ChargingActive=1
ChargingEnabled=1
VExtV=17.89

Did you do this measurement/log when the battery was disconnected?
valamilamasag

Return to Neato Robotics