I returned my Roomba 980 for crazy navigation. Help!

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

I returned my Roomba 980 for crazy navigation. Help!

Postby trollstrollr » June 29th, 2018, 2:57 am

I bought my first robotic vacuum, a roomba 980. It was great. As far as cleaning goes it was well worth the money.
The navigation was idiotic. It wasn't A.I. it was intentional inefficiency. It went in and out of each room 3 to 6 time depending on the mode. It took 2.5hrs to do 700sq feet of 1400sq foot house in the econo mode and 10hrs in the full power, edges clean, two pass mode. I looked into it and they divide the house up into zones instead of rooms. Maids have more sense.

Does the Neato botvacs do this?

Is there a big difference between the D3,D5.D7 in how good it cleans carpet?

Do you think the D3 would be fine for and small house that isn't ever that clean to begin with?

I'm willing to spend money on the higher end models since i don't vacuum myself and it has to replace traditional vacuuming. I have dog that sheds 2" hair and its mostly carpet. It's cheap carpet. I found the irobot 980 cleaned great even on the low power mode, and i loved the way it fluffed up the carpet. It made the carpet look new. I would pay more for that.
trollstrollr

Re: I returned my Roomba 980 for crazy navigation. Help!

Postby Brett » June 29th, 2018, 9:58 am

trollstrollr wrote:... Does the Neato botvacs do this? ...

Yes. It makes sense for the programming of the robot for it to decide on the section size based on robot/navigation/scanning performance, not on logical room size constraints. Sometimes the zone will end less than on robot-width from the wall and then it comes back later and does that strip.

The is a simple fix for your problem: Don't watch it. Go to work, mow the lawn or grab a beer.

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby trollstrollr » June 29th, 2018, 11:45 am

Thanks for the reply.
It makes no sense from a time stand point and why the logical thinking of a program is a priority, i don't know. The fact is it takes 2.5-6 time longer because of this. I'm not going to accommodate the robot when it just has to simply do its business in one room then move to the next.
If for no other reason other than it's wearing itself out, it's wrong.

I've read reviews that say roomba does this and Neato doesn't. Is really true all robots go in and out of each room 3 times to finish it and has to dock for 90 minutes 1-4 time in between a 700 sq foot job?
TY :cheers: :cheers:
trollstrollr

Postby Bocks » June 29th, 2018, 12:01 pm

I have 2 Neato D3's and 1 D5. Cleaning wise they perform pretty much the same except that the D5 has a side brush that cleans better under my kitchen cabinets.

My D5 will clean ~ 800sqft of hard surface floors in about 1hr and 10 min consistently with battery to spare. I had a 980 as well and it took forever when it was set to double pass and turbo. I took my 980 back as well and an much happier with my Neato units.
Thanks,
Lance
Bocks
Robot Groupie

Postby trollstrollr » June 29th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Bocks wrote:I have 2 Neato D3's and 1 D5. Cleaning wise they perform pretty much the same except that the D5 has a side brush that cleans better under my kitchen cabinets.

My D5 will clean ~ 800sqft of hard surface floors in about 1hr and 10 min consistently with battery to spare. I had a 980 as well and it took forever when it was set to double pass and turbo. I took my 980 back as well and an much happier with my Neato units.

Thank you. I want to feel good buying a neato since i feel so bad returning my 980. As a first time robot user it blew me away how well it cleaned. Hope the neato is as good.
Thanks
trollstrollr

Postby JEfromCanada » June 30th, 2018, 4:10 am

I can't speak to the Roomba 980 navigation, but with Neato, it requires points of reference to know where it is. Placed into a very large open space, Neato would have no idea how to navigate. I suspect the 15x15 ft zones that Neato tackles are based on the maximum number of active data points its limited memory can handle, perhaps combined with the effective range of its laser range finder. Neato needs to recognize landmarks such as walls, doors and furniture to know where it is located.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Return to Neato Robotics