Botvac 80 Solid Orange (amber) Light, Blank LCD

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Botvac 80 Solid Orange (amber) Light, Blank LCD

Postby adntigger710 » July 26th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Hey all!

I have been working on this for a while and have no idea where to go from here. I've got a Botvac 80 (white, purple sensor(?) circle). The status light is solid amber. The LCD is blank. Wondered if it was the battery so I replaced it. Same thing, though. I've tried switching it off, putting on charger, then turned back on. Nothing. Holding down the home button for 20 seconds (on and off charger, with the switch on and off). Nothing. As for the other fixes I've read, I see there may be a way to "talk" to the Neato and diag the issue via USB, but I've got a Mac. As soon as I saw the word "terminal" my brain shut down, lol (I recently had to use terminal for something simple and it was a nightmare for me.) I'm not computer/technologically illiterate by any means (I used to be the person people came to to fix their computers/electronics, I have a smart home that I set up and maintain, etc), but terminal is evil to me lol. Wondering where I could go from here?

This is extra frustrating for me for a few reasons. Firstly, one of my best friends is actually an appliance technician at Best Buy. He said that they don't actually FIX these, however, they just replace these - he has no idea what to do with this. Two, I'm a single mom of a 5 yr old little girl with a few pretty debilitating diseases, so this was a godsend. My floors are a mess right now because I just can't clean them as well as this little guy can, and I certainly can't keep up with the daily cleaning necessary around here. Seriously, they're gross. I can't afford a new one at all. I actually beta tested one of the connected models a few years ago, wish they let me keep it lol. And lastly, it's just frustrating knowing that I'm so close to a bunch of robotic geniuses (I live 30 mins from Boston) and if I just knew ONE of them I could probably hand it over and get a working unit back in less than an hour lol. Hoping any of you guys might be able to help me figure this out so my daughter and friend can stop telling me how gross my floors are (they don't really understand the limitations of my diseases so it just adds to my frustration.) And frankly, I really don't want to raise my daughter in a house like this. She deserves better. I just need a little help to get there. =(

Thanks, in advance, for anything you guys can do, I really appreciate it!
adntigger710

Re: Botvac 80 Solid Orange (amber) Light, Blank LCD

Postby JEfromCanada » July 27th, 2018, 12:41 am

Most cities have one or more Freecycle groups. There, you can post requests for equipment. In a city as big as Boston, perhaps there is someone who is on the cusp of replacing an older autonomous vac and would be willing to let you have their retired one.

I am one of the moderators of my local group (nowhere near Boston, unfortunately), but I've actually gifted one of my older robots using the Freecycle website, so I know it's something that can be done.

http://www.freecycle.org
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby adntigger710 » July 27th, 2018, 4:56 am

That's a really awesome idea JE, I'll try that as well! Edited to add: Since you're a mod maybe this is a good question to ask you. Is there a way to possibly search it nationwide? I imagine that's not something people normally give away, and I'd be happy to pay the shipping fee for anyone generous enough to give us one.

If anyone has any ideas on how to try and fix this one while we're at it, I'd love to hear it. My daughter has grown attached to this one (she named it Buttercup, and keeps asking when it's coming back from the hospital, lol.) Also, I hate giving up on something so easily -- I can't imagine it's insanely difficult and I'm the kind of person to work on an issue for weeks -- feels great when you finally get it!
adntigger710

Postby JEfromCanada » July 27th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Sorry, Freecycle is community based (you cannot join a far-flung group). There is no money exchanged (cannot request that an item be shipped). You cannot request delivery. You must be able to pick up the item yourself.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Return to Neato Robotics