Neato D85 fan issue

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato D85 fan issue

Postby benpieter » July 29th, 2018, 4:28 am

Dear all,

I got a Neato D85 from a friend of mine. Apparently it had water damage, so typically the fan is likely malfunctioning. So it tested it with an old fan from a neato XV i got laying around, model type BCB1012UH (not the A type). not working.

I cannot imagine this model would not work by a setmotor command by neato control from the mainboard. Any insights here?

The output of neato control shows that the VacuumCurrent=mA is much higher than zero (not in test, no setmotor command given). should it be zero? So what I'm wondering is, is this a typical capacitor issue of one the capacitors on the mainboard, or is the output value normal?
I have no experience in what normal values should be. I will show the complete output of neato control shortly.

Any insight or help would much be appreciated! :-)
benpieter

Re: Neato D85 fan issue

Postby benpieter » August 13th, 2018, 11:07 am

Issue solved. Even though nobody helped me out, I figured it out myself. To increase the knowledge on fan issues: I found out the previous owner used a fan from a Neato XV, which amperage is too high (3.8A), and caused a main board failure. I replaced a r100 capacitor and bought a fan with the -a designation (amperage is 3,45A) and now it works again. This also means the Botvac series should not use the Neato XV fan’s!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
benpieter

Postby mfortuna » August 13th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Thanks for sharing your solution. I am surprised that an extra 0.35A caused an issue. The design should have more margin than that.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby benpieter » August 13th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Well, it’s my interpretation. I’m actually not 100% sure whether the non standard fan caused the R100 capacitor to burn (the middle ‘0’ was not visible anymore (close to the connector), because I do not actually know what he actually did to it. He might have caused it himself while testing the parts!

benpieter

Postby glnc222 » August 13th, 2018, 7:47 pm

The Botvac definitely has a different fan and one which appeared in measurements of air flow etc. to be more efficient. This compensates for the wider intake on the Botvac requiring more fan power. The Botvac also uses a 12v power system vs 15v in the XV line.
I found on the original Botvac the ammeter for measuring fan current, reported over USB, seems incorrectly wired so the current report is for some control signal only, some very low figure. To measure the fan load it was necessary to observed the increase in the total system current with the fan on and off.
See thread Electronic Filter Monitoring and others forget off hand.
Two different Botvac fans appeared in early photos, so the make may have changed, but with the same characteristics.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby leastwood » September 30th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Hello,

I have a neato botvac connected and today it ran over a pet bowl of water and now I am having fan issues. It will startup (sounds weird) and then stops and an error message "fan stuck press ok to restart". I took the neato apart and got a ring of pet hair off the fan by using a block dryer to rotate the fan. I had hoped that would solve my issue but it has not.

I'm not familiar with electronic components on circuit boards. I also did not see a way to remove the fan from the unit. Can anyone assist with removing the fan from the unit? I'm thinking I could buy a replacement fan and that would solve my issue..? Thoughts?

Much appreciated!
leastwood

Postby benpieter » October 26th, 2018, 2:13 am

You will have to replace the fan. The fan itself is part of circuitry, so water damage is likely the end of it. Just search eBay for an exact match (type number, since amperage can deviate) and make sure the wiring is the same.

benpieter

Postby benpieter » October 26th, 2018, 2:14 am

Fan is easy to get out, just follow ifixit or search YouTube

benpieter

Return to Neato Robotics