Reusable plastic frames/filters?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Reusable plastic frames/filters?

Postby CoolDudePT » September 25th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Hi, I have a BotVac Connected and I really dislike tossing the plastic frame along with the actual filter whenever I replace it. Has anyone ever seen/used any kind of filter that would clip to a persistent plastic part? Sure I can separate the plastic frame from the actual filter in order to recycle the plastic frame, but I'm still using new plastic unnecessarily every time I change the filter.

I really feel I'm upgrading on all fronts coming from my regular vacuum except for this: the garbage bag on the vacuum is 100% paper so fully recyclable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
CoolDudePT

Re: Reusable plastic frames/filters?

Postby glnc222 » September 27th, 2018, 10:09 pm

See this page in thread "electronic filter monitoring" (for XV filter) and following pages for a Botvac example; different designs possible. http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=119605#p119605
You can secure a piece of filter material such as furnace filter cutouts with a single ply of tissue paper wrapping around the plastic frame scavanged from discarded filters, extending outside the compartment, secured by fit at the edges.
Different grades of furnace filter are available. I used it just to avoid buying filters. I always saved the frames for DIY filters.
The fancy part of the commercial filters is the fan folding to expand the area, not so easy to make. The larger area is important for the suction air flow superior to the original XV filter.

Links on such topics can be found in the Wiki thread top of forum "Mods & Repairs List".
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby CoolDudePT » October 1st, 2018, 11:54 am

I'll take a look, thanks!
CoolDudePT

Postby redpoint5 » November 21st, 2018, 3:32 am

I just blow my filters out after each run. BTW, I do the same for air filters on my vehicles too, and regular vacuum cleaners.

Don't see the need to ever replace a filter unless they become damaged.
redpoint5

Postby Botty » November 21st, 2018, 5:20 am

Think it was on here I read someone say that they simply use a craft knife / scalpel to partially detach the gauze, vacuum inside the filter to clean it, then tape the gauze back.
Botty
Robot Addict

Return to Neato Robotics