D3 updated with No-Go Lines

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

D3 updated with No-Go Lines

Postby fmulders » December 6th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Just to let you all know, my D3 is updated with the No-Go lines option!
The update went very well this time. No issues with the need to reconnect after the update!
Good job Neato!

This update also added the Eco mode, nice...
I experimented a little with the No-Go lines and have to say that this is really the best option to stand out over the competition. And just in time to exclude the area of the Christmas Tree and holliday stuff in the living.

Very happy with it.
fmulders

Re: D3 updated with No-Go Lines

Postby redpoint5 » December 7th, 2018, 12:25 pm

This is the news I've been waiting for!

I bought a new D3 for ~170 around Black Friday and kept it in the box in case no-go lines didn't make it to the D3.

Really no reason to go for the higher models except for side brush, multiple floors, and zone cleaning.
redpoint5

Postby redpoint5 » December 13th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Today I tried no-go lines for the first time. The first 3 attempts, the app said the D3 didn't recognize the floor plan after pulling forward from the base a few inches and surveying the surroundings. The 4th time it recognized the location and cleaned, although I changed nothing between attempts.

One thing that is likely confusing the bot is I have it live under a square dresser in the corner of the bedroom, and it parks between the 4 legs. When it pulls forward from the base, it doesn't make it past the legs of the dresser, so perhaps it doesn't get a good reading on the surrounding walls. I'll move the bot if this continues to be a problem, but that would also require recreating a floor plan.

I've always wondered why the original xv-11 needed to turn diagonally to determine its position. The turret spins, so turning the bot shouldn't be necessary except to fill in the areas blocked by the posts supporting the turret cover. I think the D3 does this also, but I haven't observed it much yet.

The thing that annoys me the most is the backup behavior; it's excessive. The bot is always climbing up things in reverse. Why doesn't Neato program the bot to pivot rather than back up? At least if it backs up, it shouldn't do so more than say an inch. It needs a rear bumper switch if they're going to let it back up more than that.

Finally, this last run the bot was returning to base and it within a foot, and then decided to drive out 2 rooms away, wander around a bit bumping into things and trying to back up over objects before driving back and parking. No idea why the bot would wander so far to locate the base, and bumble around. Does it really need to run into objects to determine its location?

Overall very satisfied with the improvements that have been made since the xv series. Hopefully my few nitpicks will be addressed in future updates.
redpoint5

Postby glnc222 » December 13th, 2018, 8:04 pm

I suspect the Neato backs up when sensing an obstacle in the front, a bumper strike or something (drive wheel stalls are also used), to allow room in the front to turn away or around the obstacle. When encountering a mag strip (or virtual boundary), I have seen them back up and move along the boundary constantly probing it to find any opening it could use (perhaps the virtual boundaries work better, or should anyway, since presumably it could analyze the boundary entirely internally in memory -- more like Lidar detecting a wall it can see entirely, compared to blind detection of a mag strip or cliff).

My complaint is that in tight spots it does not seem to use any memory of how it got into the spot, so it could back out the same way, but reverts to a simplistic random procedure, turning around and probing, which can result in just spinning around without ever getting out. I have had better luck under cabinets in this regard with my Samsung. They all require, however, enough room to turn around and move forward instead of backing out -- backing up seems to be just to get room in the front.

These details of navigation do not seem the subject of development by Neato Robotics, more devoted to whatever new feature they are promoting. The people who wrote that code long ago may not even be available.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics