XV-21 ''again'' problem lidar thread. New are better?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

XV-21 ''again'' problem lidar thread. New are better?

Postby overdose » December 11th, 2018, 10:52 am

Sorry for a new thread about this, but mine got some different behavior from my searches.

Issue:
- 5.5 year old XV-21
- Lithium battery pack from 2016 (cybertech) Still has something like 1h + cleaning time.
- Error 3000 vision blocked. Turret turn randomly. Changed the brushes only
- Worked for a year or so.
- Got error 3000 again. The motor rotor was old, so I changed the whole motor.
- Mabuchi RF-500TB-12560 DC 12V , didn't work , Error 4000 now after a minute :evil:
- From an other seller : Mabuchi RF500TB-12560 Motor DC 1.5V 6V 12V 4600RPM . Still has error 4000, but after 5-6 minutes,
- Turret turns fine. Polarity reversed on the installation.
- Did a other clean up. bearing is top notch, turret is spinning freely.
- broke the LCD , FML !

Assumption :
-LIDAR laser is now weak, I assume that the beam get weaker with time?
- Battery ? but the voltage is stable at 14.x v

Solutions :
Should I repair ? Get a new one , which I doubt they are soo better according to reviews ? Get a real central setup ?

Lidar 100$ + LCD 50$ + new battery 60$ = around 200$ including taxes + shipping. Annnnd not sure if this will work.

overdose

Re: XV-21 ''again'' problem lidar thread. New are better?

Postby JEfromCanada » December 11th, 2018, 2:37 pm

I'm no engineer, so take my advice with a lump of salt. I doubt the laser would get weaker, but maybe it's not focused properly. Other posters have discussed an adjustment that allows the laser or the receptor to be "aimed" for better results. I can't recall which thread, but it was fairly recent - within the past 2 months.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby overdose » December 11th, 2018, 3:20 pm

JEfromCanada wrote:I'm no engineer, so take my advice with a lump of salt. I doubt the laser would get weaker, but maybe it's not focused properly. Other posters have discussed an adjustment that allows the laser or the receptor to be "aimed" for better results. I can't recall which thread, but it was fairly recent - within the past 2 months.

perfect, thank you, this is the kind of answer I was expecting; other option where I can look. cheers

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20694&p=149227&hilit=focus#p149227
overdose

Postby glnc222 » December 11th, 2018, 8:52 pm

There are several points of failure on the Lidar, and there are no reports of replacing the Laser Led's. The Neato Control Program from Russia, other thread here, is used to analyze the laser scan (rendering the text USB interface in the Neato into a more useful GUI). The program can show the range of the Lidar affected by the receiver focus, adjusted by turning the barrel -- a tedious procedure, going in and out of the scan display to make trial adjustments.
Besides the spin motor wear, there is an optical position sensor on the drum to aim the laser, which can sometimes be bent out of alignment. Dirt can accumulate in the spin bearing and commutator slip ring for data connection. These may show up in out of spec rotation speed of the drum, which must be exact I think 360rpm, 6rps, to time the position of the drum to determine the aim for recording data.

Did you rip the LCD cable? Release the wheel springs before opening the case? It is surface mount soldered, not easily repaired, maybe with the hot air soldering method for surface mount IC's -- pads very close together, hard to prevent bridging.... Usually requires replacing the LCD except for expert technicians properly equipped.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby overdose » December 11th, 2018, 9:59 pm

thanks guys, I did some lidar test, and in fact it wont read an obstacle over 24-26'' from it.

My screen is cracked, its only display 1/4 of the info. Ill leave with that if I ever manage to adjust the sensor lens.
overdose

Postby Clark » December 11th, 2018, 10:47 pm

The lidar can get dirty, check for dirt. If not, you can adjust the emitter on the left, twisting it with a pair of pliers right or left (like rolling the cylinder) until the picture is clear on the software.
Clark

Postby redpoint5 » December 12th, 2018, 12:10 pm

I had a LIDAR issue once caused by fuzz getting pulled into the turret housing via the rubber band (everyone corrects me and points out it's a gasket). There's an optical sensor in there that reads the RPM of the LIDAR, and if that gets blocked the robot just says "My vision is blocked". My error code was different than 3000 or 4000 though. I don't recall exactly what it was.

The D3 was recently on sale for $180 plus $55 Kohl's cash. I ended up buying one since no-go lines is way easier than blocking off every place the robot shouldn't go. Another bonus is it's much quieter, has a wider cleaning path, gets closer to the walls, and is app controlled.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » December 12th, 2018, 12:38 pm

redpoint5 wrote:everyone corrects me and points out it's a gasket
When seeking a replacement for turning the Lidar turret, one will find it by searching for (an O-Ring).
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby overdose » December 14th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Update .

So , as per the link I've posted for botvac lidar adjustment and members advice, I did adjust the lidar lens BUT also the lidar laser (brass part).

Indeed, I was adjusting the lens mm to mm, and the best I could get was about 1m reading.

Then I turned the laser , and bingo I had around 2m of reading, with the neatocontrol software I was able to ''see'' walls.

So far it did a full 1st pass, and charging. So far so good.

This forum and software saved me some $$$, thank you all.

(I might repair the screen, but since I can read 1/4 of the info, I can control the neato at a bare minimum.
overdose

Postby redpoint5 » December 14th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Well done overdose. This forum has saved me a lot of money too, as well as inform me of upgrades such as LiFePO4 batteries for 6xx series Roombas.

In other news, Bed Bath and Beyond when paired with a cash back site had a new D3 for as low as $147 today. I was tempted to buy another just for spare parts or as a gift.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Postby overdose » January 15th, 2019, 5:18 pm

since my fix around mid-december, it never did more than one pass.

I mean it never been able to get back to the charging base, but can do a full 1st pass. I'm assuming when the battery is too low, the laser is too weak and throw the ''clear my path'' message when there's nothing... And this on about 15 tries.

So I take it apart once again, put back the receiver lens where it was (last time I did a clockwise full turn), and only turn the laser (brass part). and bingo I get about 2.5-3m reading on neatocontrol.

did few cleaning pass, and it never get stuck and be able to get back to the charging station.

In conclusion, for those having this issue :

1- make sure the lidar motor is good, or get a new one (about 2$)
2- make sure the battery is good
3- Adjust the laser or lens with patience until you get a good reading. (green dots far as possible)
overdose

Return to Neato Robotics