XV-11 Laser Intermittent

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

XV-11 Laser Intermittent

Postby redpoint5 » December 11th, 2018, 6:00 pm

I've got an XV-11 with an intermittent laser that seems to be getting less reliable over time.

I'll get a "my vision was blocked" message after a few attempts from the robot to get the LIDAR working. I notice when it has problems that the laser isn't even on. When it's working correctly, you can see a faint red light as the turret spins, and it sometimes works, but often doesn't.

Is there a cap or some other component I should be looking at that would cause the laser to not emit? Turret spin appears to be normal, but I haven't measured it to confirm, so perhaps it's just outside of tolerance to fire up the laser?

In other news, I just ran my new D3 and setup a floor plan with no-go lines. I like how quiet this bot is, and the fact that it consumes 0 watts when it completes charging. The xv-11 draws at least 5 watts no matter what.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Re: XV-11 Laser Intermittent

Postby Clark » December 11th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Have you hooked up the botvac software to see if it's able to draw a picture of the room?
Clark

Postby glnc222 » December 11th, 2018, 8:39 pm

It is the "Neato Control" software from Russia, other thread here. The Lidar scan is shown graphically, along with other sensors and all sorts of controls for testing. The program uses the text command language over USB in the Neato, rendering it into a more useful GUI interface.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby redpoint5 » December 12th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Thanks guys. I forgot about Neato Control. It's been like 5 years since I had a problem. Seems like the software back then didn't actually show the laser scan, but I don't remember.

Anyhow, my bot was also backing up and pivoting continuously after telling it to clean. I tore into it to see if there was a loose cable to a drop sensor. I ran Neato Control and found a drop sensor was stuck showing 150mm while the other one registered properly. I reseat all cables and it started working normally. The laser started beaming on too, so I put it all back together and it's working perfectly. We'll see how long the LIDAR lasts this time.

I'm giving the bot to a neighbor since they are curious about robot vacuums, and I have a D3 now. Just ordered a spiral brush on Amazon for $24. Hoping it sends hair into the dustbin rather than getting wrapped around the brush.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Return to Neato Robotics