Update 4.4.0-72

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Update 4.4.0-72

Postby fmulders » December 23rd, 2018, 6:15 am

Neato released a new update!
My D3 updated without any issue. Just wait until it reboots and plays the start tune.
The app will let you know it was successful, but that is before it was able to restart. So be patient and wait for the sound!

I have not seen any release notes, but at the first run It looks like they improved (repaired) the docking procedure.
fmulders

Re: Update 4.4.0-72

Postby fmulders » December 24th, 2018, 8:12 am

Hmmm,...

After his "night run" my D3 did not return home last night.
I had to search for him and found him underneath the couch. Not stuck, just totally switched off.
After pressing the button, it started up. The app told me 65% battery left. I put it at the base where it started charging, but as he did not complete the run before. I start him manually from the app.
With 65% it should be able to complete the kitchen and the living. If not it will go home to recharge in between, right?

After completing the kitchen and a part of the living I noticed that the battery sign in the app was already yellow, but on the bot itself it was still green...

Another 5 minutes later, it switched off completely during the run. It was in the middle of the room no obstacles nearby. First showing a Red led and shortly after that all leds off, app lost connection!
There is something wrong! I think this new firmware messed up the battery stats or something.

It is charging now,... when it was online again the app showed 57% battery :think:
I will keep you posted.
Last edited by fmulders on December 26th, 2018, 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
fmulders

Postby redpoint5 » December 24th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Would be nice to get the release notes. Thanks for being the Beta on this. Discouraging to here it might have introduced new bugs.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Postby Ocellaris » December 24th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Since this update, the D3 Connected I have can no longer handle one of my hallways with four open doors in close proximity with each other. It usually thinks it is in the wrong room and gets lost. Then if I pick it up and move it to where it thinks it was in a different room, it returns to base (second photo).

Or it just gets stuck at the end of the hall and runs into the wall repeatedly before giving up without cleaning all of the rooms (first photo).
Attachments
CBDC0A76-CBDC-49A1-A6FE-FC3546944E7E.png
DD3D0D51-B30B-4859-BFF2-430BC8732094.png
Ocellaris

Postby redpoint5 » December 24th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Shoot, I updated the app already, and as far as I know, there's no way to downgrade iPhone apps.

I haven't updated the firmware on the bot yet. Is it possible to run the new app but deny the firmware update?
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Postby Ionic » December 25th, 2018, 3:56 am

I'm new here. Had a Roomba way back when, but nothing robotic since. We've wanted a D7 for some time and pulled the trigger when Amazon had a great deal on them for black Friday. "Rosie" did a heck of a job and we were impressed with her. She ran fine this last Thursday evening, and I updated her on Saturday before she ran.

Problems right out of the gate. First, she would't start in the app using the map, she would just run out and then get lost going back to the base...yup, from two feet away. I tried just pushing the button next and she started fine, but then turned the brushes off and did circles for two minutes. It then said it was 'finished' and got lost on the way to base again. Okay. I put it in the middle of the room and tried a spot clean. Same thing - brushes off, ran in circles cleaning nothing, shortly saying it was 'done'.

I figure it does nothing right, time for a reboot. I held the power down and turned it off, but it would not come back on. I tried everything I could. Cleaned contacts and sensors, removed and reinstalled battery, used a different base, everything. I called Neato support today and they had me do something interesting. They had me take the battery out, and put it on the base without one. Well, now we had something. However, the robot is supposed to note the battery not being there and flash the battery light red. I didn't get that. It flashed the cleaning lights and they blinked for a couple seconds, and then they turned off for a couple seconds. That repeated for 10 minutes and nothing else we tried worked. Finally the tech said they thought that there was a hiccup with the update or the board fried.

Either way they wanted to repair or replace, and said that it would take about 3 weeks. I told them that I could just have Amazon replace it and I would get a new one in a couple days. They were fine with that actually (I found that odd, since most places don't want you to return items to the store), so they deleted my claim. They did get my info and log the problem on my account for the next robot though. Makes me wonder how many others are having issues.

So the real question is this: When I get my new Robot do I update it?
Ionic

Postby JEfromCanada » December 25th, 2018, 6:53 am

I'd say don't update it until your read feedback from a fair number of others who have had a successful update experience.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby fmulders » December 26th, 2018, 7:12 am

Update-1: This morning I found it in the kitchen. Totally switched off again. When started up by pressing the button it needs to connect to the internet of course, then the battery showed 97%, 13.59 min running time left. there is something seriously wrong with this version!

I removed the floorplan, let see if this helps.
With battery at 100% I started to create new floorplan, but after several minutes... shut off!

I remember some remarks that there is a difference in starting with the app and manually pushing the start button on the bot. So I charged up again to 100% and pushed the start button on the bot.
It cleaned my kitchen and living as normally.(runtime 31 min.) But during this run I checked the battery status via the app. It was telling me already at 97% that the time to empty was only 0:49
At 84 % still 0:54 huh? It seems it is calibrating the real runtime.
After completion, I started again with the button. Battery icon in the app is already Yellow, but on the bot still green. At 35% the icon in the app turns RED with 0:23 min left.On the bot the led is now also red!
With 23% and 1:05 left it returned to base because it was done for the second time.
In total 68 min runtime needed for these two runs, so battery seems fine.

After the complete charge to 100% I will try to generate a new floorplan again...
fmulders

Postby redpoint5 » December 27th, 2018, 7:03 am

Well, it turns out I can delay applying the firmware and just run the app as usual. My D3 ran the floor plan without issue, and for the first time I utilized no-go lines. Did a fantastic job, and I've updated the lines based on how close it got to certain perimeters last run. I'll hold off on this firmware version.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Postby fmulders » December 27th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Update-2 This morning I tried to generate a new floor plan.
Full battery, but after a few minutes... it stopt, showed red led for 2 sec and shut down completely!

Hmmm, what else can I do?
The only thing I can think off is reset the bot via the app. This removes the Wifi connection too so I paired again with the known procedure. (Left bumper switch + button, hold for 10 sec... until switch off.)

After connection I started to generate a new floor plan again, expecting the same fault.
But,... what a surprize. It generated a complete floor plan. No issues this time!
I put in my No-Go Lines again and schedule a clean for tonight...

Fingers crossed, to be continued.
fmulders

Postby Ionic » December 28th, 2018, 2:25 am

Well, I got a new D7 today from Amazon and will send the dead one back tomorrow. I still have another 30 day return window from Amazon for this new one, so so decided to apply the update anyway.
It updated, and I put it in the middle of the floor for a quick spot clean. It ran as intended. Then I turned it off, and put it back on the dock and it powered up just fine.
Next I ran a full clean. It had a hiccup on some wiring that my cat had moved out, but it did create a floor plan and returned to the dock as intended.
So far so good with the new one and the update. We’ll see if it stays that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ionic

Postby fmulders » December 28th, 2018, 7:11 am

Update-3
It is fixed!
I had successfully created a floor plan and now used it three times without any problems.
(Three runs in one night, my floor has never been this clean.)

Conclusion:
If you experience strange troubles with unexpected behaviour of you Botvac, you should try the steps below:
    1- Reboot by holding the start button for about 10 sec. until the leds turn off. Release and push start once again to start up.
If this did not solve the issue, go to step 2.

2- Push bumper to the left and hold together with the start button until leds go off. Release and push start button once to start up. Then go to the app, select the bot in upper right corner. You will see an extra menu button "RESET ROBOT AND CONNECT TO WI-FI" This is there to reset your Bot and set things straight again!
You will not lose your saved floor plans or schedules, they are saved in your account on Neato's server.
reset-bot.png
Reset

Now there is no reason not to upgrade to this latest version.
So every one who does, please let us know your experience by reacting on this topic.

Happy New Year!
fmulders

Postby redpoint5 » December 28th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Thanks for all the updates.

I'm still holding off on updating until some explanation of what is changed is provided.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Postby voicegy » December 28th, 2018, 2:16 pm

redpoint5 wrote:Thanks for all the updates.

I'm still holding off on updating until some explanation of what is changed is provided.

"Improved LaserSmart performance"

https://neatorobotics.com/my-neato/soft ... date-d3d5/

Worked fine for my D7.
voicegy
Robot Groupie

Postby susantx3 » December 29th, 2018, 4:45 pm

[quote="fmulders"][b][u]Update-3[/u][/b]
It is fixed!
I had successfully created a floor plan and now used it three times without any problems.
(Three runs in one night, my floor has never been this clean.)

[b][u]Conclusion:[/u][/b]
If you experience strange troubles with unexpected behaviour of you Botvac, you should try the steps below:
[list]1- Reboot by holding the start button for about 10 sec. until the leds turn off. Release and push start once again to start up.[/list]
If this did not solve the issue, go to step 2.

[list]2- Push bumper to the left and hold together with the start button until leds go off. Release and push start button once to start up. Then go to the app, select the bot in upper right corner. You will see an extra menu button [b]"RESET ROBOT AND CONNECT TO WI-FI"[/b] This is there to reset your Bot and set things straight again![/list]
You will not lose your saved floor plans or schedules, they are saved in your account on Neato's server.
[attachment=0]reset-bot.png[/attachment]

Now there is no reason not to upgrade to this latest version.
So every one who does, please let us know your experience by reacting on this topic.

Happy New Year![/quote]

You Rock
Thanks for the post and the follow up
I have updated 3 D3's and so far so good.
susantx3
Robot Groupie

Postby redpoint5 » December 31st, 2018, 12:41 pm

After voicegy pointed out it was laser performance upgrade, I updated the FW and created a new floor plan. I figured if the laser was improved, I'd want the more accurate floor plan anyhow.

Bot did great. Another nice feature is the map has been rotated so that the longest side of the floor plan is on the longest side of my phone, maximizing the size of the map. 670 sq/ft in 70 min.

I just installed a spiral blade brush, so I'll see how that affects run time. Perhaps it can run the last 7 minutes it needs to complete cleaning in 1 run. Adding in no-go lines will also speed up the cleaning. Once this battery lets go, I'll upgrade to the one in the D7.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Postby fmulders » January 2nd, 2019, 6:36 am

redpoint5, do you run it in "Eco" mode? This will only change the rotation speed of the brush. 1200 --> 800 rpm.

Remark: The "eco" mode does not stick to a schedule! It is reverted to turbo if the app is closed.
I think this setting is not stored correctly at Neato servers and the app is collecting that information at startup.
I already made a support ticket for this bug, but perhaps it will help if more than one will address this annoying issue at Neato support.
fmulders

Postby redpoint5 » January 2nd, 2019, 12:14 pm

I have it in eco mode, but haven't played with the other setting, so I haven't noticed any difference in brush speed. It's extremely quiet compared to my xv-11, so I'm not too worried.

What difference in run time should I expect with the lower brush speed?
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Postby fmulders » January 6th, 2019, 9:37 am

fmulders wrote:Update-3
It is fixed!

Final update!
It is not fixed, but I now know what the real issue is...
The issue that the Bot is switched off and waits somewhere in the room after a scheduled clean is caused by a faulty lidar motor! Today it was switched off again, but when I started a normal run I got the 3 times start procedure ending with the message "reboot me" in the app.
I can see the lidar is not rotating. rubber band is oke, motor pulley is stuck. Motor jammed completely...

It is only 11 months old, so I send it in under warranty.
fmulders

Postby Brett » January 7th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Because of the design of the (new smaller type) motor sitting under the plastic LIDAR base plate, and the shape of the holes to fit/mount the motor to it, I have found some that small bits of sand/grit land on top of the LIDAR motor itself, and then fall through small holes into the motor locking it up. Twice I've got a good result by spraying electrical contact cleaner liberally and shaking it out while spinning the motor, and then drying in a warmer.

Not sure if this will help you though.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Next

Return to Neato Robotics