Botvac D7 SW ver. 4.4.0

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Botvac D7 SW ver. 4.4.0

Postby voicegy » December 27th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Like many of you, I've been with Neato since the beginning, going through several iterations/generations over the years, and appreciating the improvements - due likely to feedback and info from the esteemed and knowledgable members of this forum, no doubt! (Don't know if Neato company folks still 'hang around' here or post, but I recall specifically a number of years ago someone from the company did, and that was great.)

Haven't posted in a very long while as I was very satisfied with my last generation Neato, the older Botvac series - it performed like a champ for a few years, and I'd still be using it as of this writing if it weren't for my curiosity to see what was new in the Neato lineup. Wow, I've been out of the loop for a while - WiFi with an app and Alexa?! Great! So I pulled the trigger on a D7 a month ago on Amazon for the decent price of $539.00.

Worked fine right out of the box - slightly annoyed it wasn't backward compatible with my previous docking station, but that's a quibble. At that time it didn't have Zone capability yet - but the Floor Plan and No-Go lines and scheduling were working flawlessly, and I appreciated the addition of Eco and Extra Care features. The ultra-performance filters are fantastic - the new latch design and filter screen make maintenance MUCH easier. (A few of you here years ago mentioned placing a single-ply tissue in front of the filter to make cleaning easier - I'm sure Neato got that idea, as well as others, from this very forum!)

On to the meat of my post - the software updates.

About a week or so after using it, I decided to pull the trigger on the update - at that time, the offering was Software ver. 4.3.1-180 - and for the app it was 2.8.0. This would give me the highly anticipated Zone cleaning. Disappointingly, it failed miserably - it didn't even recognize my Floor Plan anymore. Came out from the base, checked surroundings, told me there was no floor plan, and quit. Being familiar with Neato's 'quirks' over the years, I did what most of you would have done - hard reset, did a new floor plan, moved the base somewhere else and started from scratch, etc. No Zone capability, no Floor Plan recognized. Heartbreaking.

Wrote customer service, they responded within 48 hours, the usual suggestions (yes, I did that. Yes I did that, too.) To no avail. I insisted the software update was flawed, can you rev. me back to the previous? Nope, no can do. Oh well. Then a few days ago, I was (surprised?) to see yet another update. Figured it couldn't make things worse, so I applied it.

Bottom line, (and for the TL;DR crowd) I can state, unequivocally, the following:
Botvac D7 running App version 2.8.2 and Robot Software version 4.4.0-72 work perfectly. All expectations have been met, Floor Plan, No-Go, Zone, and scheduling are flawless. What an impressive device this has grown up to be!
User avatar
voicegy
Robot Groupie
 
Posts: 57
Joined: August 8th, 2011, 10:12 pm
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Re: Botvac D7 SW ver. 4.4.0

Postby Kip » January 1st, 2019, 2:51 pm

I just purchase the neato D7 last week because of the Alexa and the no go vitural option. I was greatly disappointed to find out that the virtual no go lines don't work if you turn your vacuum on by voice with echo. The no-go virtual lines can only be activated through the neato app, quite disappointing unless I missed something.
Kip
 
Posts: 21
Joined: April 23rd, 2017, 2:48 pm

Re: Botvac D7 SW ver. 4.4.0

Postby fmulders » January 2nd, 2019, 6:48 am

Kip, what if you use "IFTTT"?

You can ask Alexa via IFTTT to start Neato. As I presume IFTTT will ask via the Neato servers to start the Bot, just like the Neato app will do. I think the No-Go Lines will be active then...
https://ifttt.com/applets/YKSMefZP
User avatar
fmulders
 
Posts: 48
Joined: February 3rd, 2018, 12:25 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Botvac D7 SW ver. 4.4.0

Postby voicegy » January 3rd, 2019, 1:15 pm

Kip wrote:I just purchase the neato D7 last week because of the Alexa and the no go vitural option. I was greatly disappointed to find out that the virtual no go lines don't work if you turn your vacuum on by voice with echo. The no-go virtual lines can only be activated through the neato app, quite disappointing unless I missed something.


You are correct - there is a 'disconnect' between Neato and the Echo skill there where, starting a cleaning session with Echo, the Floor Plan and subsequent No Go lines aren't recognized/acknowledged. It's disappointing, I agree - especially given the capability of Zone cleaning - how I would love to NOT bother using the app and just shout out "Alexa, clean the kitchen floor." THAT would, and should, be the ultimate goal of the Skill's ability, and I hope they can work that out.

Although it's amusing and convenient to tell Alexa to ask the vacuum to go back to the dock DURING a cleaning session, regardless of being started via the app, manually, or via the schedule - that's all it is...amusing. And sort of convenient. But it's not good enough.

For now I'm forgiving the oversight, but hoping for eventual resolution. I mainly rely on scheduling, and as with my prior Neato devices over the years, just have it clean the majority of the house at night while I'm asleep 3 x a week - with no pets I don't need to empty the bin other than once a week. But there's no reason, in my mind at least, why the Alexa skill and the app/floor plan can't "talk" with one another and link up to give us ALL the features regardless of the initiation of a cleaning.

EDIT: Just looking on the web at the competition after I posted the above - seems Roomba is ahead of the curve with their Alexa iRobot Skill - very disappointing, Neato...get with it!!

With the new Roomba® i Series robot vacuum, you can control which rooms to clean by saying**:
• "Alexa, Ask Roomba to clean my kitchen"
**Commands compatible with Roomba® i Series robots only.
User avatar
voicegy
Robot Groupie
 
Posts: 57
Joined: August 8th, 2011, 10:12 pm
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Re: Botvac D7 SW ver. 4.4.0

Postby eqwalker » January 4th, 2019, 4:39 pm

voicegy wrote:
Kip wrote:I just purchase the neato D7 last week because of the Alexa and the no go vitural option. I was greatly disappointed to find out that the virtual no go lines don't work if you turn your vacuum on by voice with echo. The no-go virtual lines can only be activated through the neato app, quite disappointing unless I missed something.


You are correct - there is a 'disconnect' between Neato and the Echo skill there where, starting a cleaning session with Echo, the Floor Plan and subsequent No Go lines aren't recognized/acknowledged. It's disappointing, I agree - especially given the capability of Zone cleaning - how I would love to NOT bother using the app and just shout out "Alexa, clean the kitchen floor." THAT would, and should, be the ultimate goal of the Skill's ability, and I hope they can work that out.

Although it's amusing and convenient to tell Alexa to ask the vacuum to go back to the dock DURING a cleaning session, regardless of being started via the app, manually, or via the schedule - that's all it is...amusing. And sort of convenient. But it's not good enough.

For now I'm forgiving the oversight, but hoping for eventual resolution. I mainly rely on scheduling, and as with my prior Neato devices over the years, just have it clean the majority of the house at night while I'm asleep 3 x a week - with no pets I don't need to empty the bin other than once a week. But there's no reason, in my mind at least, why the Alexa skill and the app/floor plan can't "talk" with one another and link up to give us ALL the features regardless of the initiation of a cleaning.

EDIT: Just looking on the web at the competition after I posted the above - seems Roomba is ahead of the curve with their Alexa iRobot Skill - very disappointing, Neato...get with it!!

With the new Roomba® i Series robot vacuum, you can control which rooms to clean by saying**:
• "Alexa, Ask Roomba to clean my kitchen"
**Commands compatible with Roomba® i Series robots only.


How I envy your "just have it clean the majority of the house at night while I'm asleep" statement. That is what I had always done in the past. Having moved to a house that has thick deep pile carpeting, (I had to get a vac that has bigger wheels (Samsung 9350)) my Neato struggled to get around. Now, with a camera based vac you have to have a light on for it to "see". Oh well...maybe some day Neato will come out with a unit with bigger wheels..
EW
User avatar
eqwalker
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 443
Joined: September 19th, 2006, 4:17 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Botvac D7 SW ver. 4.4.0

Postby JEfromCanada » January 4th, 2019, 10:43 pm

eqwalker wrote:Having moved to a house that has thick deep pile carpeting, (I had to get a vac that has bigger wheels (Samsung 9350)) my Neato struggled to get around. Now, with a camera based vac you have to have a light on for it to "see". Oh well...maybe some day Neato will come out with a unit with bigger wheels..


Just install a lawnmower mod and get rid of that pesky deep pile carpeting! LOL
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 663
Joined: November 13th, 2007, 5:16 pm
Location: Canada


Return to Neato Robotics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clone1008, fufu, im1kissfan, jdong, johnnyh, leonicholson, raidencmc, Rar9, vic7767 and 412 guests