Ordered a Neato D7, questions about creating floor plan

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Ordered a Neato D7, questions about creating floor plan

Postby drunkpenguin » January 29th, 2019, 6:21 pm

So I just broke down and ordered a D7, I love my Roombas, but I wanna give Neato a shot. I don't have it yet but have a couple of questions since this is my first mapping bot. I just want to understand this, when I first get it I'll charge it up, then using the app create a floor plan with the first cleaning. Ok sounds easy.

1) I have 3 rooms it will not be cleaning, so do I just shut the doors while creating the map? What happens if the map is created with the door shut and the door is open later on? Will it still avoid the room because its not on the map or will it venture on in there? I know I can create no go lines, just wondering if I will need to.

2) Should the rooms be as empty as possible to compensate for moving furniture around in the future? Say theres a lamp in the corner, should I run the map without the lamp? What happens if I move the lamp some day will it forever ignore that corner? Or does the map update itself as it goes for things like that?
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Re: Ordered a Neato D7, questions about creating floor plan

Postby Botty » January 30th, 2019, 4:55 am

drunkpenguin wrote:1) I have 3 rooms it will not be cleaning, so do I just shut the doors while creating the map? What happens if the map is created with the door shut and the door is open later on? Will it still avoid the room because its not on the map or will it venture on in there? I know I can create no go lines, just wondering if I will need to.

You can shut the doors, yes, although if you can i'd recommend letting it map the entire level as much as possible in case you want to clean those rooms later on. If you don't include them in the initial run it will still clean them in future when the doors are open, but as they're not part of its map the cleaning won't be as quick because it will be figuring them out from scratch.

drunkpenguin wrote:2) Should the rooms be as empty as possible to compensate for moving furniture around in the future? Say theres a lamp in the corner, should I run the map without the lamp? What happens if I move the lamp some day will it forever ignore that corner? Or does the map update itself as it goes for things like that?

As long as the changes to the room aren't too radical it will be fine, a lamp wouldn't affect things. An entire double bed in a smallish room might confuse it a bit. But in my experience it will try to do its best regardless of what it sees in front of it. I've only had "no matching floor plan found" when i moved its base to the opposite side of the room - turning its world upside down and expecting it to work wasn't the fairest thing to do, in retrospect.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby bcarpenter » January 30th, 2019, 8:14 am

You should still put no go lines on the doorways on the map in case the doors are left open accidentally later. Also, you will need to start the cleaning from the app for the no go lines to be in effect.

I've had a "no matching floor plan found" when I had a small carry-on bag on the floor near the base unit, which blocked Neato from seeing some of the room.
bcarpenter

Postby drunkpenguin » January 30th, 2019, 9:22 am

When u say i must start from the app to use no go lines, do scheduled cleanings use them?
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby Botty » January 30th, 2019, 9:24 am

drunkpenguin wrote:When u say i must start from the app to use no go lines, do scheduled cleanings use them?

yes
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby drunkpenguin » January 30th, 2019, 9:55 am

Ok thanks! And the reason i plan to have some doors shut is we have older roombas for those spaces. Ill probably just out no go lines just in case.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby Botty » January 30th, 2019, 9:56 am

good luck. my D7 was probably the best thing I ever bought.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby susantx3 » January 30th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Be patient, you may have to repeat the process several times. Where the robot starts the area needs to exactly match the map you create. In outer areas of the map you can move furniture around, up to a point. Try to put No Go Lines only where you really need them. When drawing a No Go Line, save it, move the line, save again, etc. Keep making small changes until you get it where and how you want it.
susantx3
Robot Groupie

Postby drunkpenguin » January 30th, 2019, 10:20 pm

1 more question. On it's initial map creating run, will I interfere with it if I'm following it around watching? It's always fun to do that, but is it gonna pick up my feet everywhere?
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby HiTec » January 31st, 2019, 7:41 am

Dont do that on mapping run. Try to get as perfect cleaning run as possible.

After that, in normal cleaning run you can watch it, but it can have negative affect on navigation, or then not.
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Postby Botty » January 31st, 2019, 7:47 am

yeah stay away from it unless you have to. you run the risk of it thinking you're a wall of some kind while it's throwing the lasers around and building a picture of the room
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby susantx3 » February 1st, 2019, 12:03 am

You might also want to consider the D5. BestBuy just had it on sale for 199.99 and is currently selling it for 299.99. You can price match to Home Depot and have 3 months to return it if prices go lower. It compares favorably to the D7
susantx3
Robot Groupie

Postby drunkpenguin » February 1st, 2019, 11:48 am

Got the D7, charged it and ran the initial map! A few thoughts and observations, and a couple of questions.

1) Had no problem with our big ole thick rug! Yay!

2) This thing works good! Really good! I ran 2 Roomba 800 Series the night before and the Neato still found a full bin worth of stuff! I always thought the drunken Roombas (Wall-E and Mr Robot) were doing a good job, but I guess not. I think the Neato did a MUCH better job on the thick 11x15' rug and found a bunch of cat hair the Roombas just couldn't pull up. Either that my house is crazy dirty lol.

3) I had no trouble creating the map on the first try. We shut the doors to a few rooms as this will only be used for the main common areas of the house. It hit every room that it needed to in about an hour and 45 minutes and didn't miss anything. I do have a very robot friendly house tho.

4) This thing is noisy! I ran it on eco mode but I would not call it quiet by any means. It makes a lot of strange sounds, like vibrating plastic, and you can kinda hear every changing gear etc. Hard to describe. Is this normal? The Roombas are like a constant white noise, but the Neato has an array of clicks and clanks that it seems to produce. Not super loud, but they are there. No big deal as I plan to run it when were are not home, but worth noting.

On to the questions:

1) When I draw the no go lines, how close will it get to that line? I need to put a line in front of the fridge because it almost got stuck under it. It freed itself, but made a cracking plastic sound which really concerned me. Seemed to be fine, but I want to make sure it avoids the fridge. Can I put the line right in front or do I need to put some air space between the line and the fridge?

2) I charged it before running it last night, its been on the charger all night since it's initial run. This morning it said 97%. An hour later I got to work and now it's 100%. Normal? That would have been 12 hours for full charge.

3) Drawing zones, how can I make a zone that's not a square or rectangle? If you look at my map, the hallway to the left is not a perfect rectangle, so I can't seem to make that one zone without it bleeding into another area. Is there a trick to this?
Attachments
neato_map_2019-01-02-08-31-16.png
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby JEfromCanada » February 1st, 2019, 1:04 pm

I don't have a Neato capable of mapping, but DAMN, that coverage map is awesome. You really do have a robot friendly home. Wishing you all the best!
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby drunkpenguin » February 1st, 2019, 1:26 pm

Having had the roombas for a while we only buy furniture that they can go under. So couches and everything have legs so they can pretty much roam the place freely. TV's and everything are wall mount so there's little clutter on the floor. I did move a few table chairs to make sure the map was successful. Part of me wants to let it do the entire house just to see the map, but getting my daughter to clean her room would take a battle that I just don't wanna take right now lol. The other rooms have their own robots so it would probably be pointless. But it is pretty neat to see it when it's done.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby drunkpenguin » February 1st, 2019, 2:29 pm

I think I answered one of my questions, if I create 2 zones and give them the same name (hallway) then it appears to clean both when I tell it to clean the hallway.

But I have one problem, the upper right is a dining room and when creating the zone it's not shading in part of it for some reason. Even if I create a separate zone for just that little area it wont shad it in. Any ideas why that might be? I'm not home to make a test run to see if it will cover that area or not.
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-02-01-11-23-45.png
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Return to Neato Robotics