Magnetic Strip Question

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Magnetic Strip Question

Postby drunkpenguin » February 5th, 2019, 11:29 am

Do strips need to be on the floor to work? Our D7 can't go under our dining room chairs without getting stuck or moving the chairs around. I'd like to instruct the D7 to avoid them somehow since they are not always in the exact same spot. I don't want to use no go lines because then it wont get under the table on days when we move the chairs away to give it access. So I'm wondering if I can put the strips on the sides of the legs near the bottom. Will this stop the robot from crossing that barrier or do they need to be on the floor?

The chairs I have a like these, with a bar near the bottom. In red I've drawn where I could place a small peice of magnetic strip on the chair leg. Wondering if anyone has tried this?
Attachments
Rafters-Dining-Room-Chair.jpg
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Re: Magnetic Strip Question

Postby vic7767 » February 5th, 2019, 11:49 am

The Mag sensor is located on the bottom of the Neato. The sensor must be able to cross over the strip to respond to the magnetic field.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Re: Magnetic Strip Question

Postby glnc222 » February 6th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Some users handle dining room chairs by leaning them back against a wall with front legs raised to assist with vacuum access. These robots do not eliminate the need to move some furniture to allow cleaning floors. The round shape robots do have a little easier time with tight spots, but at the cost of intakes not getting as close to walls and relying more on side brushes (which have problems of their own). The Dyson robots also have a smaller footprint than others so might go more places, but is also designed for small spaces.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics