D5 connected loud wheels on bare floor

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

D5 connected loud wheels on bare floor

Postby eneka » February 6th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Hi all, just picked up a D5 connected and was running it on our new floors (Coretec Plus Vinyl Plank, they have slight texture) and I noticed the robot was quite loud when it's going at speed. I think I've narrowed it down to the plastic guide wheels on the bottom! They squeak and grind all over our vinyl planks. It's silent when it's on the carpet, but the second it's on the bare floor it becomes so loud. I've already check and there doesn't seem to be able debris and everything moves freely. I was just curious if this was normal and or if I had gotten a faulty unit. I just see some old threads about making the wheels quieter but there doesn't seem to be anything about the Botvac, only the older models. If this is normal, then I gotta figure something out because the grinding will drive me crazy!

This is what it sounds like going back to the dock without the motor running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXM2mn7QCQs

and here it is with the motor running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTCZfbWjgXI

Thanks for all your help in advance!
eneka

Re: D5 connected loud wheels on bare floor

Postby drunkpenguin » February 6th, 2019, 5:17 pm

I just bought a D7 and it's kinda loud too on the hard floors. Makes all kinds of strange noises, but it works. We use ours on a schedule so we never hear it anyways. As far as I know it's normal but this is the only Neato I've ever had. The Roombas are MUCH quieter, but the Neato seems to clean better.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby JEfromCanada » February 7th, 2019, 2:22 am

@drunkenpenguin

If you're using the silicon brush, you will experience "slapping" sounds as the blades contact the floor. Use the combo brush instead - it's quite a bit quieter.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby fmulders » February 9th, 2019, 5:19 am

Yes, this sound is normal on hard floors.

Still it is not only annoying, it will damage your floor.
The tiles will rough up the wheels and those will damage the wooden floor over time. (My experience)
You can solve this by replacing the wheels. Two small ones on the brush guard and the two at the back.

I searched a long time and finally got the best solution for this.
Replaced with "Silicone beads".

I will create a separate topic for this to share my knowledge.
Stay tuned...
fmulders

Postby fmulders » February 9th, 2019, 12:50 pm

fmulders wrote:I will create a separate topic for this to share my knowledge.
Stay tuned...

Here it is: http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20995
fmulders

Return to Neato Robotics