Hard plastic wheels --> Silicone beads!

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Hard plastic wheels --> Silicone beads!

Postby fmulders » February 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm

I know a lot of users are annoyed by the hard plastic wheels of our Neato's.
On carpet this is no problem, but on hard floors:
  • It makes a noise that does not spread the good feeling of a quality product.
  • The wheels itself can get damaged by concrete hard floor, and if you use it also on another wooden floor type it will damage that floor over time. Scratches!
  • The wheels will transfer every bump and will shake the internal parts unnecessary, like driving a car without suspension
  • And finally they will wear down so the ride height of the robot changes over time causing other parts to touch the floor and wear

I found a solution that is the best in my opinion.
The parts are cheap and easy available. For XV types you can replace very quick from the bottom, but the newer Connected series have to be taken apart to reach the wheels.

What do you need:
  • 2x - 2,5mm x 10mm shaft ( I used a copper one because I could not find a brass one in this size. need to cut it to 10mm length)
Example: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/2-5mm-15mm-Original-Brass-Cylinder-Tube-Beads-DIY-Jewelry-Findings-For-Jewelry-Making-Component-100PCS/32731389169.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dibnydL
  • 4x SF-1 0410 - Self Lubricating Composite Bearing Bushing Sleeve
Example: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/20Pcs-SF-1-0305-Self-Lubricating-Composite-Bearing-Bushing-Sleeve-3-x-5-x-5mm-Free/1833728335.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.772e4c4ddUk63D
  • 2x - Silicone bead - 10mm
  • 2x Silicone bead - 18mm
Example: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Ronde-Siliconen-Kralen-Silicone-Tandjes-Kralen-Siliconen-ketting-Sieraden-Accessoires-food-siliconen/32844578568.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.772e4c4ddUk63D

This is how it looks like.
front.jpg
in brush.jpg

back.jpg
back2.jpg

back3.jpg

This is really a great improvement for all running their Neato on hard floors.
I have a XV-15 / D85 and a D3 modified. No problems anymore!

To put in the rather large bushing in the tiny hole of the bead, I used an A4 bold with 40mm length.
When the two bushings are set onto the bold, you can insert it in the bead. Then just push it in slowly, the silicone will stretch and the outer diameter of the bead becomes perfect.
Last edited by fmulders on February 13th, 2019, 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
fmulders
Robot Groupie

Re: Hard plastic wheels --> Silicone beads!

Postby eneka » February 12th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Thanks for the great write up! Were there any warranty seals when taking apart the unit to replace the rear wheels?
eneka

Postby fmulders » February 13th, 2019, 2:15 am

eneka wrote:Were there any warranty seals when taking apart the unit to replace the rear wheels?

No seals!
Tested last month. I had an issue with the lidar and it was still under warranty. So I reinstalled the original wheels and got it repaired without any issue.

Just be carefull with the micro switches from the wheel position. You need to hear them click if you lift a wheel...
fmulders
Robot Groupie

Postby eneka » February 13th, 2019, 2:50 pm

alright thanks! Just ordered everything you posted haha. Will give an update once I get and install all the parts!
eneka

Postby dunean » May 2nd, 2019, 9:12 am

Hi, I have just received all the bits from aliExpress and am now wondering what to do with the bigger of the "wheels" do I put two bushings in or don't they need them?

Thanks for the post by the way, great idea.
dunean

Postby fmulders » May 8th, 2019, 4:31 pm

dunean wrote:Hi, I have just received all the bits from aliExpress and am now wondering what to do with the bigger of the "wheels" do I put two bushings in or don't they need them?

Yes, you need two bushings for each wheel.
The photos above are from the bigger back wheels.

To put in the rather large bushing in the tiny hole of the bead, I used an A4 bold with 40mm length.
When the two bushings are set onto the bold, you can insert it in the bead. Then just push it in slowly, the silicone will stretch and the outer diameter of the bead becomes perfect.
fmulders
Robot Groupie

Return to Neato Robotics