Upgrading Neatos Terrible Brush Design?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Upgrading Neatos Terrible Brush Design?

Postby drunkpenguin » February 15th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Is there a better than stock brush I can buy? I see several options on Amazon. I'm really not impressed with Neatos approach on this at all and quickly regretting buying a D7 over another Roomba. All of a sudden it's getting stuck on the rug and telling us to clean the roller. The rollers as clean as I can get it without spending all day with the damn thing. It's been fine for a couple weeks but now today it keeps stopping.

I'd like a solid rubber brush that doesnt hold cat hair like the stock one. Do they work?
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Re: Upgrading Neatos Terrible Brush Design?

Postby drunkpenguin » February 15th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Don't bother answering the question. I've initiated a return process with Amazon. It got stuck a 3rd time and I've had enough now. I'm really not understanding all the praise Neato is getting online. I can't imagine anyone thats owned a Roomba can possible see Neato as better. I mean this was just the last straw, theres been other issues. Number one probably is this thing can turn a 90 degree corner to save its life. Every 3 or 4 attempts and its rear end rides up the wall which is bad for all parties involved. Some times the schedule just doesnt go like this morning which is why I'm trying to manually run it now.

And the thing just doesn't sound healthy. I have worried about longevity since the first moment I turned it on. So anyway I tried, but we're gonna get an I7 like we initially wanted I think.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby robott » February 15th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I think one factor to consider for popularity is that any Roomba with mapping navigation is very expensive whereas one can buy used or lower end Neato much cheaper. The one I got has been in use for three years and my first run went smoothly so they can last.

The newest models from either irobot or neato I don't consider because they force one to use an app and wifi for setting a schedule.
robott

Postby drunkpenguin » February 15th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Im leaning towards another dumb robot like 800 series. Those things just work. Neatos map isnt that great. Its dock is in a nearly empty room and every few returns it cant find the dock and parks several inches from it, usually to the right. The other day I watched it miss about a 1 foot by 12 foot area of the hallway, then return home and claim it did it all. 700 dollars should get a refined product that doesn't still feel like a kick starter campaign.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby robott » February 16th, 2019, 8:32 am

It sounds like you have enough problems to not want to keep the Neato.

However, based on 3 successful runs from two different starting locations, I'm totally sold on the unit I have. I have the blade brush that sounds a bit like propeller plane. Compared to the three random navigation bots, of which two were Roomba 605 and 875, that I had for a while, this thing runs through the apartment in predictable amount of time and is very gentle on furniture and on itself. It seems it could last for years. Also, it seems much lower maintenance as I haven't so far seen anything tangled in the only brush it has and the dust bin doesn't fill each time from fiber from my wool carpet.
robott

Postby HiTec » February 16th, 2019, 2:54 pm

It's actually better for Neato or any lidar tech using robot that there are some furniture on room that it can use them as a markers. If your dock is i nearly empty room, it's not ideal for lidar mapping robot. But it should still work.
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Return to Neato Robotics