Neato Botvac D3 discharging overnight, long time to recharge

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato Botvac D3 discharging overnight, long time to recharge

Postby kosmoi » February 21st, 2019, 8:20 am

I'm on my 3rd D3 in only a few weeks. The first one worked fine for a while then stopped. I contacted Neato support who kindly stepped me through some checks, then agreed to exchange it. In the event I decided to return it to Amazon and got a replacement in a couple of days. This one was fully charged before I went to bed, but discharged overnight (I turned off the wall socket), took an hour and 20 minutes to recharge, and then cleaned for a while, but when it needed to recharge, took another hour and twenty minutes before continuing. This time I used Amazon support who simply offered to exchange it so now I'm on my 3rd, which is much the same as before. I ran it a few times, but now for example: discharged overnight, took 30 minutes to recharge, cleaned for 10 minutes, then recharged for an hour and 10 minutes, and finished the cleaning.

Of course I could leave it on charge overnight but I don't recall that the first one needed that. And the recharging time seems excessive, but am I being reasonable? Is it a battery problem or user problem? I should also mention that in both cases I ran the D3s a few times, hoping that the batteries would improve. How many cleaning cycles should I allow for?
kosmoi

Re: Neato Botvac D3 discharging overnight, long time to rech

Postby HiTec » February 21st, 2019, 9:08 am

Keep it in charger. Its on the user manual.

Discharging rate is perfectly normal. Its got a powerfull electronics and its connected to internet so it draws couple of hundred mAh:s.
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Postby kosmoi » February 21st, 2019, 9:14 am

Thanks! Expectations calibrated.
kosmoi

Postby Brett » February 22nd, 2019, 1:00 am

kosmoi wrote:... This one was fully charged before I went to bed, but discharged overnight (I turned off the wall socket), took an hour and 20 minutes to recharge, ...

Are you turning the robot off too?!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby kosmoi » February 22nd, 2019, 5:57 am

The only way I saw in the manual is press start button and right bumper, but that resets to factory defaults. Is there another way?
kosmoi

Postby benjamink » March 21st, 2019, 6:12 pm

Wanted to post similar question, but I'll simply reuse this thread.

I bought Neato D5 on Amazon 2 weeks ago and I'm overall satisfied how it works.
However, I have noticed that robot, once it's fully charged and removed from docking station, quickly starts discharging even if it's in standby (not cleaning - still connected to wi-fi). Robot will always lose ~50% of charge in about 10 hours. I understand it's connected to internet, but 50% battery for Wi-Fi seems too much. Does anybody think I'm not right here?

Can I ask fellow members to leave robot undocked for 10 - 12 hours after it's fully charged, and to post if their robot is behaving similarly?

Your opinion will greatly help make decision whether to return it to Amazon in the next 7 days, or not.
I have reached out to Neato customer support on day 2 but they're incredibly useless. We're circling around for almost two weeks with almost 15 exchanged emails.

Thanks!
benjamink

Postby JEfromCanada » March 22nd, 2019, 1:31 am

The bot is NOT SUPPOSED to be kept off the dock - except when on a cleaning run (unless you've powered down the bot).
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby HiTec » March 22nd, 2019, 4:26 am

That discharge rate is perfectly normal. Sometimes my cats run and jumo over my docked D5 and it undocks (rear of the robot rises over the charge contacts). If that happens, it takes around 20 hours for robot to power off because battery depletes.

Keep in mind its not just the wifi that uses power. Even though motor driver circuits (and CPU?) goes to power saving mode, it still updates some sensors constantly (not lidar).

Keep it docked. Or turn it off completely (looooong press on power button) if its not docked. I dont understand why people want to keep these robots undocked and still powered on.
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Postby benjamink » March 22nd, 2019, 11:15 am

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your comments.

I don't have any issues or concerns with having robot docked all the time. It's just that once I accidentally removed it from charging station, I realised it's losing charge quickly and I wanted to make sure it's not broken or defective.
Btw, Neato Customer Support told me over the phone (and email) it should not lose that much charge in half a day :/ that made me even more concern.

Quote from customer support:

I really appreciate you sending me the screen shots there are a great help.
No you are right it is not normal.
benjamink

Postby HiTec » March 22nd, 2019, 1:09 pm

Customer support isnt always right if they dont ask details from techs/engineers.

Every neato i own/have owned (2x 85, D80, 2x Connected, D5), loses charge quickly if its not docked.

You can easily check the discharge rate in mA/h with neato control.
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Return to Neato Robotics