D 80 shows no battery charge on fully charged battery

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

D 80 shows no battery charge on fully charged battery

Postby SX-70 » February 21st, 2019, 7:49 pm

I've got a D 80 or 85 that is doing some strange things. It will begin charging a dead battery but shut down a few minutes after starting. I tested the battery after a few attempts and it was at about 13V, and showing empty on the LCD.

I charged it using a computerized charger with NiMH delta peak detection and got the batter up to 14.8V with a slow charge. When I put it back into the vacuum it still showed empty, even after a battery reset. When I put it back onto the Neato base it tried to charge the battery and after a while asked me to open the filter bin and turn on the switch in order to charge. The switch was already on. Cycling the switch didn't help.

The Neato base is putting out about 18V and that seems constant. The switch on the main board appears to be electrically sound when I tested it with a continuity meter. I suspect the main board has some parts with issues, and I'd like to repair them rather than replace the board.

Does any of this sound like it has a distinct source, or am I about to start an adventure?
SX-70

Re: D 80 shows no battery charge on fully charged battery

Postby TechGuy » February 21st, 2019, 8:51 pm

How old is your battery?
If it is older than 1 year, you should invest in a new good battery first before wasting time on the motherboard.

For some reason, couple of my clients purchased new Neato genuine 12V battery. Their D80 are still saying open the dustbin and push the switch to on until I used a new 4500mAh Botvac compatible battery. Their D80 stop complaining and vacuuming. Since then, I don't trust Neato genuine battery. I will try my know good battery first.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby SX-70 » February 21st, 2019, 9:29 pm

This battery is a 3600mAh third party replacement for the original. When I used the computerized charger it took about 1600mAh and held the charge. I wouldn't say it'a a quality battery though, I'll do a load test on it to see what the voltage drop is and try and estimate its internal resistance.
SX-70

Postby stivi83it » February 22nd, 2019, 8:58 am

I‘ve the same Problem with a VR220. NeatoControl say „SmartBatt Autorization 0“
stivi83it

Postby SX-70 » February 22nd, 2019, 3:38 pm

The open circuit voltage on the pack was 14.16V, I loaded it with a 47Ω resistor and got a 0.16V drop. That works out at about 54mΩ per cell, which is about 10x what I was expecting for a sub C cell. I've ordered a new pack.
SX-70

Postby TechGuy » February 22nd, 2019, 3:50 pm

@SX-70, report back whether your new battery fixed the "Open dust bin and switch it on" error. The more data points we collect on this thread will help other Botvac owner to troubleshoot this error.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby SX-70 » February 22nd, 2019, 4:33 pm

I got the Neato Control software and found that the vacuum, when it finally started charging, was charging at 1.8A. This takes the voltage up to 16V and then in a very short while the, "Turn on the switch" message comes on and charging stops.

NotCharging.JPG
When it isn't charging, but on the base.
Charging.JPG
Charging.
SX-70

Postby SX-70 » March 1st, 2019, 12:59 pm

I ordered the Morpilot 12V 4000mAh from a Canadian supplier and installed it. The Botvac D80 started charging and kept charging until full, and did not ask me to flip the main power switch at all. I then did a full vacuuming cycle and recharged again without issue.

Problem solved.
SX-70

Postby glnc222 » March 1st, 2019, 3:28 pm

A message to "switch on the battery" means the Neato is not detecting connection to the battery; it checks this connection to properly control the charger etc. Besides the manual cut off switch on the case, the battery packs contain both temperature and current load fuses which can disconnect the battery if not working properly. A Polyfuse, resetable fuse, temporarily disconnects when there is an excessive load, protecting against short circuits and the like. Because they reset when the load is removed, they could produce confusing error msg and testing states. It is rare for these parts to be defective, but who knows? Maybe some poor solder joint inside the pack could also be at fault. Cells tend to either work or have reduced capacity when damaged, charging ok but unable to run more than a short time (and charge quickly as well); full voltage can still be the same as a good cell.
There could also be defects in the Neato's detection circuitry, but cannot be presumed without first trying a known good battery.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics