[Fixed] Neato XV Signature Pro working time issue

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

[Fixed] Neato XV Signature Pro working time issue

Postby angry_elf » March 1st, 2019, 7:47 am

Hi.

I'm the owner of Neato XV Signature Pro vacuum.
When it bought, it works well, without any of those dosens issues described through the whole internet :)
It charged, cleaned all rooms, returned to base and so one.

It was inactive for a small period of time (few monthes), so battery seems discharged to zero.

Then I tried to use it again and stuch with the strange problem - working time. I don't remember, how long it can work before, but it was definetelly more than few tens of minutes. Now it working period looks very strange.
For example:

1. Full charge (several days connected to charger)
2. Press "Start" button, vacuum starts making noice, but just after brush start rotates, it display "Battery low, returning to base". Sometimes it can't even return to base and I need to return it manually.
3. 30-60 minutes of charge, Neato starts working again. It can work 3-5 minutes and again displays "Battery low" message.
4. Next charge for 30-60 minutes, now Neato can work at least 10-15 minutes until "battery low" message.

When I stop playing with it and leave it at charger for a few days, full cycle repeats almost exactly - few seconds, few minutes, 10-15 minutes of work.

What can cause such strange periods? Software issue? Overheating? Damaged battery? Worn battery?..

Battery was brand new (but didn't used for an almost two years - can they be damaged by just laying on shelf?). Brush is new, vacuum is cleaned.
Last edited by angry_elf on March 10th, 2019, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
angry_elf

Re: Neato XV Signature Pro working time issue

Postby JEfromCanada » March 1st, 2019, 1:19 pm

If the battery was left in the robot without the robot being "switched off", then yes, the battery will completely discharge and possibly no longer work. The robot is ALWAYS running the internal computer unless switched off, so the battery is always in use. When the robot is not active, it should always remain on the charger (unless the robot has been powered down).

These instructions are included in the user manual.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby angry_elf » March 1st, 2019, 4:27 pm

But this is NiMH, they are not damaged by full discharge, isn't it?
angry_elf

Postby vic7767 » March 1st, 2019, 5:55 pm

NiMH total discharge can cause cell polarity reversal when attempting to charge a pack. Some have recovered complete packs by charging each ell individually and using a very low current before attempting to expose the pack to a Neato charging system.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 1st, 2019, 11:01 pm

Battery was brand new (but didn't used for an almost two years - can they be damaged by just laying on shelf?

NiMh batteries do deteriorate unused in storage, with self-discharge. Rechargeable cells are worse in this regard than one-time permanent cells, which are therefore preferred for items seldom used, or long lasting, from flashlights to TV remotes etc. When reaching the point of over-discharge, the cells can be damaged, with loss of capacity or inoperable in the worst case. The same thing applies to the lead acid batteries in cars, why a lot of new ones have some automatic cut offs so leaving on the lights accidentally won't destroy the battery. The lower rate of self-discharge in lithium batteries is one of their advantages. I charge unused NiMh things -- usually spares -- every six months to preserve them. For smaller AA etc. size cells, a superior NiMh chemistry was pioneered under the Eneloop brand and duplicated by other brands today, with longer shelf life, advertised. The higher capacity, larger cells used in robots do not have this feature.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby angry_elf » March 2nd, 2019, 4:41 am

Okay, i get it, thanks.

Next tragedy - choose between new battery for old robot, or new robot... :)
angry_elf

Postby angry_elf » March 10th, 2019, 8:07 am

Looks like new batteries solves the problem.
Thank you
angry_elf

Return to Neato Robotics