Neato Botvac 85 bad lidar?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato Botvac 85 bad lidar?

Postby neisa789 » March 2nd, 2019, 6:39 pm

About 10 to 15 minutes after starting a cleaning cycle, my Neato Botvac 85 starts to spin in circles. The side brush also stops spinning. If I pick it up, set it back down, and have it start cleaning again, that seems to clear that error and starts to clean well again (the side brush will start working again too). 10 to 15 minutes later, the vac is spinning again and I have to pick it up again to "reset" it. It's also backing up really hard up walls and other obstructions and gets itself stuck on them. It seems as if it doesn't see the wall.

I connected to the vac using Neato Connect and did a lidar scan. Can you tell me if my lidar should NOT have all the red areas? Could the lidar be bad?

2019-03-02 16_30_46-Clipboard.png

Another known problem is that the NiMh battery needs replacing. The charge will last for about 30 minutes, but I don't think that is causing this problem.

Thanks
neisa789

Re: Neato Botvac 85 bad lidar?

Postby vic7767 » March 2nd, 2019, 8:59 pm

A poor / old battery could be the issue.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby HiTec » March 3rd, 2019, 12:34 pm

Voltage drop can cause issues. I saw that on my Connected, when about 20% charge will trigger the same kind of behaviour. Vacuum and main brush stays on, nothing else happens. Then it will throw clear my path error. After charging it works like nothing ever happened. This is not a problem for me though, because it will only do this if i run 2 clean cycles on a same battery. I just saw this "problem" during some testing.
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » March 5th, 2019, 9:22 am

Going in circles is a symptom of failure in the Wall Sensor IR proximity detector, signaling phantom, non-existent walls in every direction triggering firmware behavior to turn aside. They run on a 5v logic supply and power supply problems could also prevent proper operation. The battery voltage must be high enough to operate the linear 5v step down regulator. The sensor, same as the cliff sensors, can be tested with the Neato Control program over USB. Testing when on the dock for a separate power supply might distinguish between battery problems and component defects. See the Mods & Repairs index thread top of forum for links to part replacement.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby neisa789 » March 10th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Thanks for the replies.

We borrowed a working Botvac 85 from a friend and ruled out the battery, motherboard, and bumper sensors. We disconnected the magnetic sensors on the front of the robot and it's working correctly again!

Has anyone had bad magnetic sensors? We found replacements on ebay for like $2, yay.
neisa789

Return to Neato Robotics