Neato Botvac D5...to keep or not to keep?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato Botvac D5...to keep or not to keep?

Postby Enya » March 21st, 2019, 3:07 pm

Hello,
So, I recently purchased a Botvac D5 because I could not clean the house due to health issues. It had all been working well, and I was pleased with the robot's performance until it got stuck on a loose scarf (my bad) and the brush stopped working for a while. I contacted neato's support and they made me run various tests on the robot and finally decided they'd send a new brush. The problem is that I live outside the U.S. and, apparently, they do not have a warranty or technical support in this country even though the robots are being sold here.
Fortunately, I stumbled upon this forum and found that applying lubricant would work, and it did! The brush has continued to work daily! No more error messages!
However, after finding out that I cannot send in my robot for repair if something may arise in the future, I am afraid to keep it. Don't get me wrong, I love its performance, the house feels very clean and, maintenance after every clean is not much of a nuisance for me. But I can still return it and get all my money back.
It worries me, however, the mixed reactions on the D5. I mean, if the robot lasts over 3 years, I would feel I got my money's worth...
So, I guess what I want to know is:
How durable are these robot's anyway?
Are most of the issues that arise easily fixed by yourself?
Does neato control work with the D5? It did come with a USB cable and I can see the port .
Other questions:
Do I REALLY have to change the ultra performance filter every month? Is there a way to extend its life? Does putting a sock as a pre filter for the pre filter make sense? Is there any other method?
Thank you for your help!
Enya

Re: Neato Botvac D5...to keep or not to keep?

Postby JEfromCanada » March 22nd, 2019, 1:39 am

Enya wrote:Do I REALLY have to change the ultra performance filter every month? Is there a way to extend its life? Does putting a sock as a pre filter for the pre filter make sense? Is there any other method?
Thank you for your help!

I don't have the D5, but I assume the answer is still the same. I use two stacked dryer sheets (used ones) to place over the portion of the filter that faces the outside of the dustbin, and dispose of the sheets every time I empty the bin. By doing this, I've been using the original filter since I bought my Botvac 80. I occasionally blow out the dust on the filter as well (I don't own a hand vac - that would probably work too).
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby HiTec » March 22nd, 2019, 4:17 am

Neato Control works with these new D series. In my experience, ultra Performance filter doesnt need to be changed monthly (i have two cats). I just occasionally clean it with compressed air. I wouldnt use pre-filter with ultra performance filter, as it restricts air flow.

Lithium batteries in these robots are very good. NiMHs had constant problems.
HiTec
Robot Groupie

Postby redpoint5 » March 25th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Wait, so the brush stopped working and then started working again with a new brush? That doesn't really make sense that the brush would stop working (due to the brush itself) unless it didn't spin freely or was otherwise physically damaged. My concern would be that the brush motor or control electronics might be flaky. Perhaps it simply shut down for a while after being over-current for a while? I don't know what protection is built in, if any at all.

Concerning the filter, I never change mine. Simply tap it on the ground and blow it off outside using my lungs.

My XV series bot lasted 4 years with no issues (except it had the terrible NiMH batteries common of the day that failed often). Then it developed a LIDAR issue that I was able to resolve by digging way into the unit and removing a tiny piece of fuzz. Now it's got a different LIDAR issue that I haven't been able to resolve and may be a problem with the electronics. It's about 8 years old at this point though.

I expect the D3 to last at least 3 years without major issues. If it does develop issues though, you've got to be comfortable tearing into the thing to diagnose and possibly replace parts.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Postby Enya » March 27th, 2019, 1:32 pm

No, the brush got stuck in a scarf and wouldn't move afterwards.
Neato's support said that replacing the brush would be the solution, but that indeed didn't make sense since the brush was less than a week old :roll: Besides, they couldn't send a new brush anyways since I'm not in the US That's why I did some research on my own and stumbled upon this forum. I found a post suggesting the use of WD-40 which I had on hand and fixed the issue.
Only problem is that it gets dirtier around the area now but nothing that a quick cleaning with my hand vac won't fix.
Seeing as there are very good tutorials on how to deal with various possible issues, we decided to keep the robot. It's very convenient and it works and cleans quite well.
Enya

Return to Neato Robotics