Neato D5 not cleaning one side of bed

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Neato D5 not cleaning one side of bed

Postby boyler74 » March 24th, 2019, 7:52 am

Hello, wonder if anyone can help. Just bought a Neato D5 and no matter what I try I cant get it to go down my side of the bed. It starts and then just turns the othe way and then continues to clean the rest of the room. If I put it on Spot clean at the top of my bedside it will go down and out then back up ok. It will also go thru tighters spaces in the rest of the house which I find strange. I have attached a picture, a full housemap and a cropped image of the bedrrom. You will see the left handside is not green, any ideas on what would be stopping it going up that side would be greatly apprecaited.
Attachments
bedroom.PNG
bedroom.PNG (17.08 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
neato_map_2019-24-03-12-29-53.png
DSC_0022.JPG
boyler74

Re: Neato D5 not cleaning one side of bed

Postby JEfromCanada » March 24th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Some box springs are covered in loose material that "hangs down" enough to interfere with the Lidar scan, and it appears as if there is a wall. I had to use pins on my box spring to tighten the loose-fitting material to allow my Botvac to make it all the way under my bed.

The way to verify that this is the case would be to start a spot-cleaning run on the side of the bed that typically does not get reached. I would expect the spot cleaning to work on that side of the bed, but not be able to cross over to the side that is currently cleaned during your regular runs. This would confirm that a "dip" in the covering fabric is obscuring the Lidar.

Edit: Get flat on the floor and take a photo that shows the floor (and amount of clearance to the box spring) under your bed.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby Brett » March 25th, 2019, 4:17 am

I think he means that it doesn't get in there next to the bed - not underneath it.

Also he has done the spot-clean in there and has described the result?
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby boyler74 » March 25th, 2019, 6:02 am

Yes, its the fact it wont go round the side of the bed.
boyler74

Postby JEfromCanada » March 25th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Are you saying that if you place the Neato on the floor at the FOOT of the bed and facing the outside wall, and you select SPOT CLEANING, it will make the turn and go through the narrow corridor?

Also, if you place the Neato inside your bedroom with the bedroom door closed and ask to do a manual FULL HOUSE CLEAN, will it do the entire area of the floor, including that corridor?
Current robots:
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby boyler74 » March 25th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Hello, thanks for your reply. I have tried the spot clean from the top of the bed inside the corridor and it comes out to the main floor turns and goes back up the corridor proving it can navigate through that space. However on a full clean of the house it refuses to go up the corridor. I haven't tried doing a full clean of the house with the bedroom door shut thus forcing it just to clean that room. Might be worth a try to see what it does.
boyler74

Postby JEfromCanada » March 26th, 2019, 2:08 am

boyler74 wrote:Hello, thanks for your reply. I have tried the spot clean from the top of the bed inside the corridor and it comes out to the main floor turns and goes back up the corridor proving it can navigate through that space. However on a full clean of the house it refuses to go up the corridor. I haven't tried doing a full clean of the house with the bedroom door shut thus forcing it just to clean that room. Might be worth a try to see what it does.

I'm having difficulty understanding what you mean by Top of the bed. My interpretation is that your picture shows the BOTTOM of the bed. If you start from the bottom, you're not only testing whether the corridor is wide enough to accommodate the bot, but you're also testing whether the TURN around the corner leaves it enough room. Neatos typically turn a bit wide; then back up to do the "corner clever" move to get closer to the wall (which, in this context, would be interpreted as closer to your bedframe). But, if the corridor is just BARELY wide enough to get the Neato through, it may not have room to complete that turn.

On the other hand, if you are starting your test at the TOP of the bed (not visible in the picture), the Neato will hug the outside wall until it reaches the piece of furniture PAST the end of the bed, leaving it sufficient room to make that turn (towards the open floor at the foot of your bed). So, what I'm saying is that the starting location for the spot clean test (from my earlier post) is a critical factor.
Current robots:
Roomba 560 (retired)
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby boyler74 » March 26th, 2019, 8:51 am

Hello, I put it at the foot of the bed and it made the turn up the corridor to the top of the bed and back down and out back to the foot. So it proves it can make the turn. So why wont it do it on a full clean???
boyler74

Postby JEfromCanada » March 27th, 2019, 3:32 am

Did you do the "full house" run inside the bedroom with the door closed? If that works, it more likely points to a bug in the software that is not recognizing the "new area" beyond the 5 meters zone that may have begun OUTSIDE your bedroom.

My very first Neato, when I first got it, didn't understand the concept of a "room" when it came to spaces with open doors. Instead, it wanted to clean an area 15' x 15' (even if that meant leaving the current "room"). If your bot started doing a section which began "outside" your room, it's technically possible that it "stopped" before hitting that corridor because it was at the boundary of one of its 15' x 15' zones. And because there was so little space left to do, it might have just been overlooked.

In my home, I have a small bedroom (that I use as an office) that's immediately across the hall from my bathroom. The distance from the furthest bathroom wall to the outside wall of my bedroom is just under 20 feet. I have a small area between my (unused) treadmill and my bookshelf that is wide enough for the Neato to get in - yet half the time, the area is skipped when the house is vacuumed. Your situation may be similar.

Neato-blindspot.jpg
My Neato makes it into this area about half the time. Sometimes I will leave a piece of visible "dirt" here to see if it got cleaned up.
Current robots:
Roomba 560 (retired)
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Postby septer012 » March 27th, 2019, 3:55 am

I understand that the neato breaks cleaning areas up into 12x12 or so areas to clean. I have noticed this behavior in long stretches of my kitchen where there is a long straight run, and the neato will stop prematurely as if it is hitting this clean area boundary, which it has to complete before moving on. I wonder if the there is somehow not an associated cleaning area for that spot. Could be a software bug. Try moving your base station 4,5,6 feet and see if it changes the behavior of where these cleaning areas are?
septer012

Postby boyler74 » March 27th, 2019, 10:45 am

Thanks for the replies. Will try the full house clean with the door shut and also try moving the base station and let you know how I get on. Seems like the smart robotic hoover isnt as smart as I thought it would be :-)
boyler74

Return to Neato Robotics