difference in cleaning and navigation between xv12 and d7

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

difference in cleaning and navigation between xv12 and d7

Postby n0oxy » March 25th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Hey everyone, I currently have a Neato XV12 that I bought new from Target a few years ago. I have given it some upgrades such as the newest software, I've also changed to the combo brush instead of using the blade brush that it came with, this makes it much quieter on hard floors. It also has a new set of batteries, the robot is still in good shape. I live in an apartment, all hard floors about 900 square feet, no pets to deal with. I'm wondering, aside from the smart home features that the D7 offers, is there a big difference in the cleaning performance or navigation between the XV12 and the D7 connected? I also would not have any use for the zone feature, I let my robot clean the entire place, I'm just wondering if I would notice any difference with the newer D7, my XV12 cleans really well.
Mike
n0oxy

Re: difference in cleaning and navigation between xv12 and d

Postby JEfromCanada » March 26th, 2019, 1:57 am

The real question is whether you are a pragmatist or a geek. There is always a desire to have the "new shiny thing". But, in your own words, your XV12 is working satisfactorily. Other than the "soft touch" feature that I believe is in the D7, and the ability of the D7 to clean in two passes (again, not necessary because you say yours is doing a good job), if it were MY money on the line, I'd wait. Prices on existing units will only go down and it's not like you're desperate for a working vac. Just my 2 cents.
Current robots:
Roomba Discovery 4210 (R.I.P. - Freecycled)
Roomba 560 (retired)
Neato XV-11 SW version 3.1.17844, LDS version 2.6.15295, with Pet Brush and Vic's filter (sold)
Neato Botvac 80 SW version 1.1.97, LDS version 2.6.15295, Board SW version 22753
JEfromCanada
Robot Addict

Re: difference in cleaning and navigation between xv12 and d

Postby n0oxy » March 26th, 2019, 3:18 pm

I'm definitely a geek and love having the newest thing, but, if something is still working well I believe in still using it. Do the current Neatos such as the D7 even have a display screen and a menu on them anymore? I would think that since they can be controlled with an app this wouldn't be needed. The fact that many bots can now be controlled through a phone is really good for me because I'm a blind person and cannot read the display on a robot itself, but I can use both IOS and Android since both platforms have built in screen readers, IOS has voiceover and Android has Talkback. Fortunately I rarely need to interact with the menus on my XV12, based on the description of the newer Neatos, it sounds like they no longer have menus on the robot itself.
n0oxy

Return to Neato Robotics