Botvac D3-connected > Nimh-Battery usable?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Botvac D3-connected > Nimh-Battery usable?

Postby Torbes » March 27th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Hello Folks!

This is my first post with an unusual "dumb" question.

Is it (in theory) possible to use a nimh-battery from an earlier model in my botvac d3 connected?

The reason is: if yes, i would keep an emergency-battery if the liion-battery fails... till i got a suitable new one..

Liion are ageing as far as i know, even if they aren't used...so keeping one as spare is not the best idea i fear?!

Also, the old nimh seem (at the moment) to be much better available than the original-liion batteries...

Of course this would be a temporary thing...

To be honest, it is just a question of possibility (Size / charge possible etc)

Of course, the li-ion is much better and finally an original-battery would be reinstalled for best performance...

Has anyone tried?

Gesendet von meinem SM-A530F mit Tapatalk
Torbes

Re: Botvac D3-connected > Nimh-Battery usable?

Postby glnc222 » March 27th, 2019, 5:55 pm

No. The older NiMh Botvac's and the newer lithium Botvac's use different voltages, the NiMh at nominal 12v and the lithium at the higher 14.7v same as the XV series -- to match the higher cell voltage of the lithium chemistry, which does not divide evenly into 12v. The charging procedure for NiMh batteries and lithium batteries is also very different, the NiMh controlled by temperature read with the thermistors in the battery packs, and the lithium controlled entirely by voltage, without the heating characteristic of NiMh. In the XV models, the software can be switched between the different battery types, but not in the Botvac models with different firmware, probably because there are no regular lithium ion replacements for the original NiMh battery. In the XV's Vorwerk in Germany used lithium batteries while Neato Robotics used NiMh, allowing for software to be configured for either one. The lower Botvac NiMh voltage does not lend itself to such differences in equipment, so no reason to put such options in the firmware.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Torbes » March 27th, 2019, 11:57 pm

Glnc22, thank you very much for the precise and fast response!

Okay, i'll stay with the original Liion-pack then... ;)

I had this idea because i read a lot about those upgrades from nimh to li-ion on earlier models....

But now it's clear for me...

To be honest, li-ion has too much benefits... why sticking with the older system?

Thank you :-)

Torbes

Postby glnc222 » March 28th, 2019, 7:39 pm

I forgot to mention how the lithium replacements for the original NiMh Botvac battery sold can be confusing, in that these do not work in the newer Botvac's with OEM lithium batteries. These replacement batteries are made for the lower voltage NiMh Botvacs and equipped with adapter circuitry to make them appear like NiMh batteries to the NiMh charger, simulating a temperature signal for the Botvac NiMh charger system and software. A DIY project for these batteries is a thread on this site, see the Mods & Repairs list top of forum.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Torbes » March 29th, 2019, 1:11 am

Thank you very much glnc :-)

Torbes

Postby redpoint5 » April 1st, 2019, 12:25 pm

I removed the battery from my D3 since I'm using a D5 at the moment. It has only 10 cleanings on it. I'd be happy to sell if interested.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Return to Neato Robotics