Turning a D3 into a D5 with side brush

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Turning a D3 into a D5 with side brush

Postby bruce9241 » April 16th, 2019, 8:41 pm

I opened up a D3 and a D5 and noticed the two boards are exactly the same. The only difference between the two models is the D5 has a side brush motor along with it's own mini circuit board for the side brush. Since the two D3 and D5 main pcb is the same and even has the same side brush attachments; would it be possible to add the Side brush and the side brush circuit board to the a D3 and make it work?

I've attached pictures of the item I am talking about.
Attachments
IMG_20190416_091020.jpg
bruce9241

Re: Turning a D3 into a D5 with side brush

Postby masterx81 » May 9th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Uhm, i think that maybe can't work as also if the mainboard are the same (the driver for drive the motor, connectors
and control logic for wall proximity are installed also in D3) the firmware EVENTUALLY not take account for the sensor+motor as not aware of theyr presence. Can be tested, but i would not bet that it work
masterx81

Postby Brett » May 9th, 2019, 10:33 pm

I'd be surprised if it doesn't work (assuming you can mount the sidebrush in a mechanical sense). Manufacturers save by standardising and the admin of having two boards the same but with different firmware would cost more that any saving.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby masterx81 » May 10th, 2019, 2:46 am

No need to have different firmware .it is sufficient to have a condition set in code. The firmware must already know the robot is used to enable other functions. In any case You have to Try to see if it works...

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk
masterx81

Return to Neato Robotics