Can I change the motor steps on the Signature XV

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Can I change the motor steps on the Signature XV

Postby Tech-Com » April 23rd, 2019, 3:34 pm

I will be increasing the drive wheel diameter for a robotics project and wondering if I need to calibrate the motor steps for the larger wheels?

If so, can someone suggest a crash course in firmware mod, such as how to determine my board type and maybe a few links?

Thank You
Tech-Com

Re: Can I change the motor steps on the Signature XV

Postby Tech-Com » April 23rd, 2019, 4:15 pm

Here is info from Neato Control

GetVersion
Component,Major,Minor,Build
ModelID,-1,XV28,
ConfigID,1,,
Serial Number,KSH29614HH,0239296,P
Software,3,2,18755
BatteryType,1,NIMH_12CELL,
BlowerType,1,BLOWER_ORIG,
BrushSpeed,1200,,
BrushMotorType,1,BRUSH_MOTOR_ORIG,
SideBrushType,1,SIDE_BRUSH_NONE,
WheelPodType,1,WHEEL_POD_ORIG,
DropSensorType,1,DROP_SENSOR_ORIG,
MagSensorType,1,MAG_SENSOR_ORIG,
WallSensorType,1,WALL_SENSOR_ORIG,
Locale,1,LOCALE_USA,
LDS Software,V2.6.15295,0000000001,
LDS Serial,KSH29314AA-0294635,,
LDS CPU,F2802x/c001,,
MainBoard Vendor ID,505,,
MainBoard Serial Number,226605,,
BootLoader Software,18119,P,p
MainBoard Software,18077,1,
MainBoard Boot,16219,
MainBoard Version,4,0,
ChassisRev,2,,
UIPanelRev,1,,
Tech-Com

Re: Can I change the motor steps on the Signature XV

Postby glnc222 » April 24th, 2019, 10:22 am

Neato firmware has never been hacked in the detail described and is not likely worth the large resources needed to do so, with the functions limited to controlling a particular device. People have replaced the system boards in robots with their own, general purpose computers to make their own devices. There might be a product from iRobot (Roomba) intended to provide a platform for user's creations, I have not investigated in detail.

Neato's lidar has been used in other robotics projects and is a stand alone, smart device with a serial interface. The operating protocol is public, and software packages have been published. Some Neato's were bought just to remove the lidar for other projects (providing a source of spare parts for sale from the rest). Yet this lidar has likely been superseded by camera based pattern recognition software with simpler hardware now, just a camera. Most competitors of Neato use camera guidance now, including market leader Roomba, and luxury brand Dyson. Advances in the hardware needed, lower costs and more power, make this practical. The lidar is fifteen years old or more.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics