Little help with my Neato control statts please

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Little help with my Neato control statts please

Postby BJisBack » April 25th, 2019, 9:43 am

Hi, i just ran neato control because our "corey" suddenly starts to "stutter" backwards ans even pushing and having a mini "burnout because it wont stop rolling backwards even if there is something in his way.

I have cleaned the sensors and using the Neato control app i have discovered something weird..
the rightmagsensor displays "0" while the leftmagsensor displays "171"
If i put magnetstrip under it, the right goes up while the leftmag reads 172 and go up to 275 and if i remove the magstrip it comes down slowly to 172 again never to zero. :naughty:

i display my neato test mode values here .. please look at these and help me.. :help:
By the way also my Corey is a Vorwerk not a Neato but i'm guessing these are the same in most options. :agree:
Thx already for your help, really appreciating this. :thanks:

____ Discrete: ____=
SNSR_DC_JACK_CONNECT=False
SNSR_DUSTBIN_IS_IN=True
SNSR_LEFT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
SNSR_RIGHT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
LSIDEBIT=False
LFRONTBIT=False
RSIDEBIT=False
RFRONTBIT=False
____ Analog: ____=
WallSensorInMM=OFF: 54
BatteryVoltageInmV=15229
LeftDropInMM=OFF: 60
RightDropInMM=OFF: 60
RightMagSensor=OFF: 1
LeftMagSensor=OFF: 171
XTemp0InC=43
XTemp1InC=17
VacuumCurrentInmA=0
ChargeVoltInmV=719
NotConnected1=11
BatteryTemp1InC=20
NotConnected2=10
CurrentInmA=121
NotConnected3=9
BatteryTemp0InC=20
____ Buttons: ____=
BTN_SOFT_KEY=False
BTN_SCROLL_UP=False
BTN_START=False
BTN_BACK=False
BTN_SCROLL_DOWN=False
____ Charger: ____=
FuelPercent=81
BatteryOverTemp=0
ChargingActive=0
ChargingEnabled=1
ConfidentOnFuel=1
OnReservedFuel=0
EmptyFuel=0
BatteryFailure=0
ExtPwrPresent=0
ThermistorPresent[0]=1
ThermistorPresent[1]=1
BattTempCAvg[0]=20
BattTempCAvg[1]=20
VBattV=15.22
VExtV=0.74
Charger_mAH=0
MaxPWM=65536
PWM=0
lithiumChargeEnabled=1
lithiumChargeDone=0
BJisBack

Re: Little help with my Neato control statts please

Postby BJisBack » April 25th, 2019, 10:05 am

Update,

I just did an update of the software on our Corey and now the left mag sensor goes to values of ; 70 to 78 and with magnetic strip under it up to ; 218
If i put it on now it almost immediately goes stuttering backwards to the left..
weird.. could this be normal.. and if not.. what to do ;-)

____ Discrete: ____=
SNSR_DC_JACK_CONNECT=False
SNSR_DUSTBIN_IS_IN=True
SNSR_LEFT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
SNSR_RIGHT_WHEEL_EXTENDED=False
LSIDEBIT=False
LFRONTBIT=False
RSIDEBIT=False
RFRONTBIT=False
____ Analog: ____=
WallSensorInMM=55
BatteryVoltageInmV=15203
LeftDropInMM=60
RightDropInMM=60
RightMagSensor=0
LeftMagSensor=77
XTemp0InC=43
XTemp1InC=17
VacuumCurrentInmA=0
ChargeVoltInmV=745
NotConnected1=11
BatteryTemp1InC=20
NotConnected2=11
CurrentInmA=121
NotConnected3=9
BatteryTemp0InC=20
____ Buttons: ____=
BTN_SOFT_KEY=False
BTN_SCROLL_UP=False
BTN_START=False
BTN_BACK=False
BTN_SCROLL_DOWN=False
____ Charger: ____=
FuelPercent=80
BatteryOverTemp=0
ChargingActive=OFF: 0
ChargingEnabled=OFF: 0
ConfidentOnFuel=0
OnReservedFuel=0
EmptyFuel=0
BatteryFailure=0
ExtPwrPresent=0
ThermistorPresent[0]=1
ThermistorPresent[1]=1
BattTempCAvg[0]=20
BattTempCAvg[1]=20
VBattV=15.20
VExtV=0.74
Charger_mAH=0
MaxPWM=65536
PWM=0
lithiumChargeEnabled=1
lithiumChargeDone=0
Last edited by BJisBack on April 25th, 2019, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BJisBack

Postby glnc222 » April 25th, 2019, 10:13 am

I think Test Mode must be ON for Neato Control to properly report mag sensor output over USB.

Some info on operation of the mag sensors is in this thread on various mod projects. See other posts in this thread as well, as I do not have all my references available at the moment away from home.
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=116832#p116832
Operation of the sensor can be measured with a volt meter. The sensor may be defective.
I made my own mag sensor with the same parts for a Samsung Powerbot not equipped with them on that particular model. Also see Hacking forum post on possibly increasing Neato sensor sensitivity (for putting strips under carpet etc.
There is some parameter in the firmware to specify what level of sensor output is considered active, as the output is continuously variable measure of field intensity detected. I think there is a configuration command in the USB manual for setting this paramater, not sure.
ALSO note that in Neato Control, the mag sensor may not be reported unless Test Mode is ON.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby BJisBack » April 25th, 2019, 11:33 am

Hey glnc222 thanx already for your fantastic reply, i will try to test the mag sensors, i wonder if i can switch both of sides? that would reveal also a lot i think.
test mode is on when i make a report ;-)
but is it normal that one magsensor has so different readings than the other? could it be that this is a reason why my bot goes backwards from the begin ore has this nothing to do with it?
BJisBack

Postby glnc222 » April 25th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Swapping the sides is always useful but not really necessary if you have the data on the normal behavior. I cannot find it right now but should be in that thread I linked, as I measured it once. Need more time to find it. It could also be read over USB with Neato Control. There should be a large swing in the figure shown with a mag strip very close to the bot and away -- it has to come within around half an inch to be detected, as the sensor is positioned on the bottom close to the floor. You may find though, that these sensors do not have a cable plug at the sensor and may have some wiring difficulty changing the positions. It can be simpler to just get the cable assembly with the sensors to replace them both. Unfortunately there is no cheap way to repair these systems; it is normally done by replacing parts till they work. Having a spare robot to exchange parts is sometimes used. With very old bots etc. costs of complete replacement may be considered compared to parts. Neato parts are also not sold routinely by Neato Robotics, and they have to be scavanged on ebay etc. (Samsung sells tons of parts for everything, but they are expensive -- it's like car parts...).
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 25th, 2019, 4:36 pm

There was an unusual case on a 2nd floor where some heavy motor or something below the floor was creating a magnetic field interfering with the mag sensors requiring they be disabled.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 25th, 2019, 4:38 pm

The sensor can be bypassed by configuring a resistor divider on the 5v line to supply the normal output voltage to the cpu sensor line instead of the mag sensor.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 25th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Found in old notes the mag sensor assembly outputs 2v when quiescent and 4v when detecting a mag strip.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby BJisBack » May 4th, 2019, 6:35 am

Wel big thx to you, Glnc222, this is already a help..

After a little search i found online a pair of (second hand) mag sensors.. link .. https://www.ep-mediastore-ab.de/neato-x ... 11932.html

What do you think.. would i directly put other mag sensors in? the values are very different when i see them at the neato control app.. and looking around most of them feature 2x 0 ore +- like this, mine is much higher.

They are not so costly so im thinking.. replacement .. what do you think?

Thx already
BJisBack

Postby glnc222 » May 4th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Personally I would use a volt meter -- multimeter -- to check the mag sensors, but if you are not equipped to analyze and repair electronics, it is reasonable to buy replacement parts especially when inexpensive. It sounded like one mag sensor was defective but it should be tested with a meter -- I do not have the performance of these sensors as normally shown over USB in Neato Control, or you could base it on that. What you can check in Neato Control is whether the sensor changes its output with close proximity of a mag strip.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby BJisBack » May 7th, 2019, 6:14 am

Dear.. and yes I mean dear Glnc222 AKA Robot master well deserved. ;-)

Today i have dismantled, till the last part my Vorwerk (neato) VR100.
Armed With the good advice i searched for anomalies in the sensors..

The moment i Disassembled the left sensor i noticed A small nesting of white hair from our Jack Russel, just small enough to be nested at the deepest base of the mag sensor.. do not even know how it got there.

I disassembled the Mag sensors.. cleaned them with propanyl alcohol and measured them first to compare the readings.

After the mag sensors i measured all the sensors for good contact etc..
also i have cleaned the laser rotor belt with this alcohol, it seemed that it could slip.. after the cleaning it was much more resistant on the wheel.

cleaned the contacts with contactcleaner. then measure the mag sensors like you told me too.. the reading went as good as "normal" the values you gave me where pretty accurate. and the reading gave +- the same reading @ both sides. :o

Reassembled our "Corey" and till now it is cleaning the living room even better than it did before (also upgraded the software), hoping it stays this way ;-)

I hereby thank Glnc222 for your good advice and taking the time to respond and help, this feels really good and big part thx to you. :cheers: :thanks:

hoping I can have lots of years of service of my VR.. :violin:

Big greeting to you and again thanks. :clap:
BJisBack

Return to Neato Robotics