Botvac D3 /// how often does it recharge? Infinite?

News and information about the Neato XV-11 Robotic Vacuum. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Botvac D3 /// how often does it recharge? Infinite?

Postby Torbes » April 30th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Hello Forum!

How often does a botvac d3-connected normally recharge in a cleaning-cycle?

I want this to know, as mine usually needs one full charge and a tiny spot charge for my 80qm-home..

So using it with a bigger home or with older batteries, it would net to recharge more often (3-4 times) which would be no problem.

But does the bot have a Limit so it cancels the cleaning-cycle after 2 or 3 recharging cycles?

Thank you for your help!

Greetings, tob!

Gesendet von meinem SM-A530F mit Tapatalk
Torbes

Re: Botvac D3 /// how often does it recharge? Infinite?

Postby glnc222 » April 30th, 2019, 12:45 pm

In the past Neato firmware has limited the number of recharges to around 3 in a single cleaning run, though every model could be different. Yet the governing factor remains the same, in that with up to two hours required for a full charge, more cycles could take longer than a day to complete, with the cleaning time added, and not be useful. It would also wear out the battery much sooner than expected, in that the battery life is measured in the number of supported charging cycles, maybe up to 400 with the lithium batteries, but often only 200 on the older NiMh batteries.
The larger D5 battery can be used in the D3 to support longer run time on each charging cycle -- a lot longer, two or three times I think (once examined in another thread). Hard to say without actually measuring a run, as the charge usage can be programmed in the firmware, independent of the battery size -- the system is not set up to measure the capacity of an unknown battery installed, and there are no menu options to specify battery size.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Torbes » April 30th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Ok, so the most useful option for me is the use of the bigger d5-battery i think... that was my favourite option if my original battery is worn out (at the moment, it still performs quite good with approx 600 cycles on it)...
Thank you glnc for your always fast and detailed response! It's always nice to get such detailed infos in a forum, thank you :-)

Greetings, tob!

Gesendet von meinem SM-A530F mit Tapatalk
Torbes

Postby glnc222 » May 1st, 2019, 11:13 pm

Use of larger D5 battery in D3 explained in posts at
http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?p=142967#p142967
The smaller D3 battery with short run time is a marketing move to provide a lower entry price point but with limited appllication to smaller spaces. Batteries are a substantial part of the cost of these products, with their high capacity somewhat like a car battery, to operate motors, not at all like a radio etc., though similar to laptop computers.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Neato Robotics