Braava mint tire wheel tread

News and information about the iRobot Braava - formerly the Evolution Mint Robotic Cleaner. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Braava mint tire wheel tread

Postby brooke11112 » October 7th, 2017, 10:01 am

My tread has come off completely. I tried various rubberbands but they were too thin to work because the robot would barely hobble. The plastic lip of the wheel continued to hit the floor. When I used two rubber bands it made the robot uneven. If there is a type of rubber band that works I've not found it.

Has anyone found a braava or mint tread or a replacement wheel that you can buy that actually works? This is ridiculous that a $300 robot is basically junk because you can't replace the rubber felt wheels. :(
brooke11112
Robot Groupie

Re: Braava mint tire wheel tread

Postby mfortuna » October 7th, 2017, 7:36 pm

You may want to go to a hobby store and see if you can find a RC tire with material to cut down and glue. My Mint is getting close to that point so I will be looking for a solution soon.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby vic7767 » October 7th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Here's a snapshot of a google search:
Attachments
2017-10-07 19_06_52-braava mint wheel - Google Search.gif
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby brooke11112 » October 9th, 2017, 11:26 pm

I am going to try this one out. We will see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172555304323
brooke11112
Robot Groupie

Postby leonicholson » December 27th, 2017, 2:28 pm

I've read that 2" o-rings can work. Some say 2 per wheel, some say fill up the wheel. I suspect it would slip on wet floors.

Also read this on Amazon: "I also found substitute material for the expensive replacements... cut up pieces of that waffle weave material that is used for placemats,nonslip for rugs and for shelf lining."

I bought a cheap used one just to tinker with. Worked fine, but now has a stretched tread. I'm going to cut out a section and glue as a try.

Very poor design from the company who made the two 595 Roomba's that work flawlessly for us.
leonicholson

Postby mfortuna » December 27th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Irobot purchased Evolution and I think had nothing to do with the design of the original Mint and Braavas.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby brooke11112 » December 28th, 2017, 1:39 am

I wanted to provide an update on this problem. The rubber bands did not work. However, I purchased the replacement wheels with tread from Duckbills33 on ebay. The robot is working great again. Replacement tread materials are a little different than the original tread, but I have had no problem on either my hardwood or vinyl floors.

However, next time I'm plan to purchase the replacement treads from this seller and glue them on myself. Getting the wheels and clips for the wheel off and then back on the braava was a real challenge.
brooke11112
Robot Groupie

Postby leonicholson » December 28th, 2017, 7:32 am

brooke11112 wrote:Getting the wheels and clips for the wheel off and then back on the braava was a real challenge.

Those tiny black snap clips are a real problem. :(
leonicholson

Postby leonicholson » December 28th, 2017, 1:34 pm

brooke11112 wrote:I wanted to provide an update on this problem. The rubber bands did not work. However, I purchased the replacement wheels with tread from Duckbills33 on ebay. The robot is working great again. Replacement tread materials are a little different than the original tread, but I have had no problem on either my hardwood or vinyl floors.

However, next time I'm plan to purchase the replacement treads from this seller and glue them on myself. Getting the wheels and clips for the wheel off and then back on the braava was a real challenge.

I just ordered a pair of wheels from the same vendor prior to reading your post. Do they have traction for wet mopping?

Those tiny black snap clips are a real challenge, but it would probably be more difficult to remove and install the treads without removing the wheel.
leonicholson

Postby brooke11112 » December 28th, 2017, 3:56 pm

leonicholson wrote:
brooke11112 wrote:I wanted to provide an update on this problem. The rubber bands did not work. However, I purchased the replacement wheels with tread from Duckbills33 on ebay. The robot is working great again. Replacement tread materials are a little different than the original tread, but I have had no problem on either my hardwood or vinyl floors.

I just ordered a pair of wheels from the same vendor prior to reading your post. Do they have traction for wet mopping?

Those tiny black snap clips are a real challenge, but it would probably be more difficult to remove and install the treads without removing the wheel.

Yes, I use mine exclusively for mopping with no problem. And I will remove the top body of the braava without removing the wheels to get better access if I go with the tread option next time.
brooke11112
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Braava - Evolution Robotics