Braava Jet 240 factory defects

News and information about the iRobot Braava - formerly the Evolution Mint Robotic Cleaner. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Braava Jet 240 factory defects

Postby glnc222 » May 25th, 2019, 4:12 pm

So a Braava Jet 240 from Bed Bath and Beyond showed poor manufacture in electronics, with erratic behavior out of spec over the first four runs. First run was good, but on another run it spent five minutes bumping the same spot on the wall before finally continuing. In one run it failed to observed the boundary setting. Looks like an intermittent sensor or cpu failure, something weak on the computer board. So I returned it for refund and ordered a used one for $50 less instead of just replacing it. It did a good job at least when it was working properly.
glnc222
Robot Master

Re: Braava Jet 240 factory defects

Postby glnc222 » May 30th, 2019, 9:18 pm

So a second one of these, used but fairly new, was a little better but still out of spec. After finishing a 10 x 10ft kitchen in half an hour it kept on going, repeating areas until finally finishing with its terminal beeping after 55 minutes. At the same time, it appeared to violate the boundary setting.
In a second test dividing the kitchen in two with the boundary marking it observed the boundary until it finished and moved around the perimeter against the wall, where along the final wall it ran straight across the boundary and started cleaning the other side.
However, it turns out a 1/4 in. high metal carpet to vinyl tile molding is sufficient to deflect the Braava as though a wall, and this is really the only spot the boundary is needed.
So at the used price $99 incl. delivery, half the new list price, I'll keep it. But I have to wonder if the design is adequately implemented, contra particular unit mfg defects. [edit] Change my mind and returning the used one as well -- better brands available at competitive prices, e.g. newly introduced iLife W400.
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Braava - Evolution Robotics