News 2017: Samsung POWERbot VR7000

News and information about the Samsung Navibot, Tango, Furot and VC series Robotic Vacuums. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: News 2017: Samsung POWERbot VR7000

Postby rabidrobet » March 19th, 2017, 9:09 pm

piokrza wrote:
rabidrobet wrote:Ebon (Ebony?)

I think they wrote 'Airborne'

Oh, right. Given one of my previous occupations, I should have known that.
rabidrobet

Postby piokrza » March 23rd, 2017, 10:55 am

Samsung Powerbot VR7000 sth korean official commercial 2017
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 25th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Korean website shows animated pictures of hair cutter operation, feeding sideways with spiral brush
http://www.samsung.com/sec/vacuum-cleaners/robot-vr20m7070wd/

Korean language user manual PDF file -- browser translator does not access the PDF text. (specifications for carpet depth and threshold height limits will be in this manual; the 9350 had increased the height limit, has larger wheels)
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201703/20170302213306235/DJ68-00763A-01.pdf
Other languages should appear when wider distribution is started later in the year.

File too big for translators and most tools, unless pro Acrobat bought. Download and split into parts by page ranges into separate files free with SplitPDF.com (takes the large file). Then translate each part with Google translator web page. Also good job with https://www.onlinedoctranslator.com/
I will try and locate the fine print parts with the fine points of specifications.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » March 25th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Threshold Height

Page 5 of the Korean manual -- always in the manual section on different models for "Charging" (warning about not blocking return to base...)
VR7000 height 1.5cm same as older 9000 powerbots, despite smaller 3 inch wheels. The 9350 model added flexible wheel treads higher traction with the 9000 series 4 inch wheels raising height to 2.0cm.

Carpet Pile Height

Under "Safety Precautions" in manuals, p23ff Korean manual.
1cm specified same as other Powerbots. No loss from smaller wheels than the larger 9000 series.
This spec always seems very conservative; I suspect the large models at least can go on deeper carpets, but depends on the type of textile (shag rugs especially difficult for robots, reported many years).
I have just observed the 9000 Powerbot working on previously impossible fluffy bath rugs, maybe because dry in cold winter weather.

Samsung seems to be the only brand which tries to specify such limitations, which at least shows they are aware of the issue. Maybe it is just having different lawyers. So much of the manual with dumb warnings: "don't try to eat your robot without enough mustard".

bumper side

My concern remains the length of the side bumper, which required an extension mod on the 9000. The side shape is a little better on the 7000, but the 9000 was observed tightly circling furniture legs at some times, hitting the leg behind the side bumper, in that indentation in the case. It did not stop the robot so much as get the side tilted up to trigger the wheel extension sensor for lifting off the floor, possibly an effect of the larger 9000 wheels and faulty weight balance (before counter weights added in the 9350 -- if they even work).
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » April 1st, 2017, 2:47 pm

Samsung VR5000 vs. Samsung VR7000 (20W)

piokrza
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 5th, 2017, 1:10 am

Samsung's cellphone battery not related to vacuums

IMHO I do not think the famous 2016 disaster with defective cell phone batteries indicates any problem with the robot vacuums. They are made by different divisions of the very large company. Most of their profits come from the components made for all the cell phone makers. The vacuum tech is much simpler than cell phones cramming things into as small a space as possible. The large type of batteries used have been made for years without incident, while the problem cell phone battery was new tech rushed into production too fast for proper development, and by a different division of the company. Unlike other robot brands no posts appear about any Powerbots delivered with defects nor malfunctions after used some time. The internal construction is more elaborate than found on other robots. With solid state camera guidance not used in most brands, there is no mechanical wear of lidar parts.

At SamsungParts.com a service manual is sold showing all parts and assembly of the 9000 series, in line with appliance treatments generally, not found from other robot brands. The exploded diagrams are included in the catalog at British distributor PartsMaster.uk.com.

The battery in mine has run 225 times with no sign of wear, and from specs for similar products might go 600-800 cycles, equivalent to several years use -- lifetime of the robot, given attractions of more advanced models as they appear. Only time will tell, shortened by running it frequently every other day. The battery charge indicator has three bars, and it still uses two bars for half an hour run, very quickly recharging to only one bar remaining to fill. Wear on the battery will show up when it uses more than the two bars cleaning. The large battery costs $175, but appears to be reasonable for long life and the premium required for more powerful and faster cleaning. A Botvac battery lasting only a year could cost $50.

Design issues are a different matter, and I did have to add to the 9000 series bumper for best results in the premises. I have yet to find any robot vacuum in several over years which had a fully functional design, but this one had the most effective fix. The 7000 series might be better still but only experience could tell. No one is in the habit of publicizing previous mistakes in business, it is up to the customers or reviewers to find out -- and hopefully report here.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby marquesalan » April 5th, 2017, 2:46 am

Not sure i'd feel comfortable leaving a rechargeable battery charging in my house unattended since their series of mishaps with phones and washing machines. This might just be a robot bomb sent over from Russia, LOL!
marquesalan
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » April 5th, 2017, 12:22 pm

As a major supplier of battery cells it is possible they are found in laptop computers and other brands of robots, in the batteries under the robot brand labels.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 11th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Available at U.S. website April 2017
Now listed at the U.S. site for direct sales, at very competitive prices cheapest $499. Going head to head with Roomba and Neato now. Might show up at Best Buy summer from prior experience. The washable filter, cyclone system competes with Dyson.
[edit] Best Buy lists the two lower models for shipping only so far, with the 7040 lowest available now but the 7070 still not in stock. Obviously stocks are in transit now just a matter of weeks. Amazon apparently has some stock already, usually the first.
Amazon lists the top model 7090 for release April 16, 2017. $800.

The VR7000 omits the "select a room" mapping app from the more expensive, larger 9350 model from last year.

Besides "40X (Navibot)" top model spec lists 20W suction, maybe air watts (seems unique to U.S. website not shown in other countries). Comes at the cost of expensive large batteries, up to $175. But I think mine may last three years or more, will see (on larger 9000) -- maybe 800 cycles. Careful high suction could be a Max mode not needed and can over stress batteries; other models spec 20X. Need to check details in the manual. Longer run time spec, larger battery than cheaper versions, probably at the normal power. High power kicks in automatically when dirt detected in the intake. Also automatic hard floor, carpet distinction power control.

Unusual side roller on the front bumper corner for walls.

VR7000sideroller.jpg

A U.S. appliance chain HHGregg has closed, had lower prices with limited returns, restocking fees. Appliance stores have always been risky here. Heavy online competition now. The building supply Home Depot, Lowes started carrying appliances, along with Best Buy.
Last edited by glnc222 on April 11th, 2017, 10:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby rabidrobet » April 11th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Samsung US site says-

POWERbot R7070 Robot Vacuum available for pre-order $699
Product will first be available and shipped week of 4/16.

Same pre-order notice for the POWERbot R7040 Robot Vacuum at $499

Nothing noted for pre-order of the top model POWERbot R7090 Robot Vacuum though listed for $799
rabidrobet

Postby rabidrobet » April 11th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Kind of strange the two cheaper models list features as-

Visionary Mapping Plus
And
FullView Sensor 2.0

The higher priced model lists features-

Visionary Mapping
And
FullView Sensor

No Plus or 2.0 for the higher priced model? :(
rabidrobet

Postby glnc222 » April 11th, 2017, 6:46 pm

The VR7000 also does not have the fancy "select a room" app mapping function of their last 9350 introduced a year ago. Maybe that did not work as well as expected, or is just reserved for the most expensive model. It would seem to be just a bit of software, no marginal cost, so purely marketing.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » April 11th, 2017, 6:50 pm

I expect the "2.0" stuff is just tech writing details in the material. I cannot imagine a new model has any difference in the sensor system, and certainly the top model will have the latest. Anyway they have worked well on the older 9000's.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby rabidrobet » April 11th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Just pre-ordered the R7090 on Amazon. They say it will be released on April 16th.

I really hope navigation is better than the 9350 or it will have to go back. I can't/won't have a robot vacuum that can't navigate a 1300 square foot place on its own.

Still looking for a difference between the 7070 and the 7090.
The remote looks different.
rabidrobet

Postby glnc222 » April 11th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I am curious how the navigation fails in the medium space mentioned. It works perfectly in mine and there are no reports of this I have seen. There have been differences from tricks of the light -- it analyzes the ceiling...ceiling fans and what not. Plus insuring the camera is clean. Bright sunlight should not be directed at the floor, for IR sensors. I do not think there are any changes in the camera guidance technology. These are basically the same as the older models except for being squashed lower and the added corner cleaning intake shutter and minor tweaks. Same creature in a new shell.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby rabidrobet » April 11th, 2017, 7:57 pm

glnc222 wrote:I am curious how the navigation fails in the medium space mentioned. It works perfectly in mine and there are no reports of this I have seen. There have been differences from tricks of the light -- it analyzes the ceiling...ceiling fans and what not. Plus insuring the camera is clean. Bright sunlight should not be directed at the floor, for IR sensors. I do not think there are any changes in the camera guidance technology. These are basically the same as the older models except for being squashed lower and the added corner cleaning intake shutter and minor tweaks. Same creature in a new shell.

The robot couldn't find its way out of one specific room. And for no good reason that I could see. It would get right next to the exit/door and then turn again as if it was lost.
Happened with two different 9350 models.

I did read others reporting the same issue although those reports were few. Maybe its something with the room but I don't think so it's just a room. Regardless, if it cant navigate our place, its of not much use to me and won't keep it. Doesn't matter if it can successfully navigate 99% of the other homes it's used in.
rabidrobet

Postby glnc222 » April 11th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Was the problem room the last to be entered? That would go to some limitation on the map memory.
It would be interesting what happens were the robot started within the problem room.
Did you have any problem getting a refund on the defective units?
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby rabidrobet » April 12th, 2017, 12:49 pm

glnc222 wrote:Was the problem room the last to be entered? That would go to some limitation on the map memory.
It would be interesting what happens were the robot started within the problem room.
Did you have any problem getting a refund on the defective units?

The problem was on the first and only room selected for cleaning. Sometimes it worked and other times it didn't.
Amazon took the vacuum back with no questions asked.
rabidrobet

Postby glnc222 » April 12th, 2017, 3:34 pm

So you can be one of the first to review the new thin models.
I see Amazon lists the top model 7090 not yet at Best Buy.

Amazon has very generous return policies, though their third party vendors are another story. Those even engage in elaborate price manipulations in competition, with computer AI's, per news reports. Some are now Asian sellers shipping from there slow, and some are incompetent. I stick to high volume ones real businesses.
Their Warehouse Deals dept. has good bargains from returns such as yours, with the same Amazon fulfillment with returns.

Best deals are 20 per cent discount coupons from Bed & Bath when they have what you want. They carry only Roomba and Neato, no Samsung yet.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby rabidrobet » April 12th, 2017, 6:20 pm

glnc222 wrote:So you can be one of the first to review the new thin models.
I see Amazon lists the top model 7090 not yet at Best Buy.

Amazon has very generous return policies, though their third party vendors are another story. Those even engage in elaborate price manipulations in competition, with computer AI's, per news reports. Some are now Asian sellers shipping from there slow, and some are incompetent. I stick to high volume ones real businesses.
Their Warehouse Deals dept. has good bargains from returns such as yours, with the same Amazon fulfillment with returns.

Best deals are 20 per cent discount coupons from Bed & Bath when they have what you want. They carry only Roomba and Neato, no Samsung yet.

Not sure about a "review" but I'll sure give my opinion.

Those BB&B coupons don't work for many items. They might not work for Neato or Roomba.
rabidrobet

PreviousNext

Return to Samsung Robots