New R7070 - grinding/vibrating like noise normal?

News and information about the Samsung Navibot, Tango, Furot and VC series Robotic Vacuums. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

New R7070 - grinding/vibrating like noise normal?

Postby dman777 » September 2nd, 2017, 3:44 pm

I got the new R7070.... I like it alot so far. However, it makes a loud rattleing/grinding like noise when it moves. Is this normal? I have grooves in my floor to create a fake wood texture...if that matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzAZfJ4 ... load_owner

Thanks,
-Darin
dman777

Re: New R7070 - grinding/vibrating like noise normal?

Postby glnc222 » September 2nd, 2017, 3:56 pm

Normally the Powerbot's are notably quiet, compared to other brands, but all robots can make some noise from rollers bumping over floor edges, especially tile edges, maybe similar to your floor. Softer rollers have even been devised for it, how noticeable it is.
However, you should determine whether the unit has some defect, trying spot clean on some smooth area if available (maybe even outdoors or another building, just briefly). Also, setting the minimum "quiet mode" power level reduces the motor noise to the point you may be able to hear the wheel bumping separately. Also when returning to base -- a function on the remote -- the cleaning motor noise is eliminated for clarity in observation.

Without many Samsung owner's reporting the performance of these models, it would be interesting to hear more of your experience.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » September 2nd, 2017, 5:09 pm

You can also remove the brush and run it briefly to see if that is making unusual noise.
It will actually pick up some dirt without the brush.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » September 2nd, 2017, 5:34 pm

The video Youtube link says private and unavailable. Perhaps adjust your settings on YouTube.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby dman777 » September 2nd, 2017, 8:53 pm

Sorry, I made the video public now. Thank you for the heads up.
dman777

Postby glnc222 » September 2nd, 2017, 10:16 pm

It sounds all right to me, though the volume level cannot really be determined over a recording like this (with what gain on the mic etc.). I thought there might have been some clicking of the brush moving on the cracks is all, nothing unusual. If you don't like this, will anything else be any different? Vacuums make noise -- the more the better in some respects. But having had others, I'd say - and others -- Powerbot is quiet.
The all blade "self cleaning brush" may be a factor, compared to the combo blade and bristle brush, hard to say. At some point that might become available as a replacement, not sure with the special guard on the other.

On Neato's the straight all-blade brush was very noisy on hard floors, slapping all at once across, and the helical twist version cut down some. Before that the bristle "pet brush" was less noisy on hard floors.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » September 2nd, 2017, 10:20 pm

On Neato's the straight all-blade brush was very noisy on hard floors, slapping all at once across, and the helical twist version cut down some. Before that the bristle "pet brush" was less noisy on hard floors. I don't have all the Samsung models to test -- and not much hard floor either.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » September 3rd, 2017, 1:32 pm

I guess it's the blade beater-bar sound. Similar was notable in Neato XV series.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » September 3rd, 2017, 5:17 pm

If this remains an issue, perhaps return it if possible, and wait for the R7065 on the U.S. website with the combo brush. All blade brushes are an advantage with pet hair, which embeds in bristle brushes. It was said the robots are silly in that more time was spent cleaning them than the floor. Neato's original blade brush was a selling point.

Run with the brush removed to verify the sound. You will also find they make a lot less noise on carpet.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby dman777 » September 4th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Strange, I don't really hear the noise anymore. Rather than exchanging it, I'm just going to keep it. It sure works a lot better than my previous Neato Botvac. So glad I am not forced to buy another one of those.
dman777

Return to Samsung Robots