New R9250 issues

News and information about the Samsung Navibot, Tango, Furot and VC series Robotic Vacuums. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

New R9250 issues

Postby cjs180 » February 8th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Hello,

First off, I have had multiple Neato's over the past 10 years so I am familiar with what these things get hung up on. I purchased a new R9250 about 1.5 weeks ago. This vac can not make it around my house without climbing up a chair leg, side of the wall, etc. and giving me the "lifted error". I have tried some of the taping of the wheels that I found on this forum and that did not help. Is there anything else that can be done?

Are any of the other lower end Samsung bots any good? Like the R7040 or the R7070? Or do they have the same programming and get hung up with the "lifted error" just as much?

At this point, coming from a Neato that is not as well built but has much better mapping capabilities and does not get hung up on every run in the house, I am thinking about taking the Samsung back.

thanks in advance.

Chris
cjs180

Re: New R9250 issues

Postby glnc222 » February 9th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Keeping the wheels depressed in the case works well for me, but must be installed correctly, at the depth keeping the sensor switch off. I now have it with a thumb tack as shown in the thread, for durability. Cardboard or wood must be used to hold down the tip of the wheel arm. To test this, and how I measured it, is resting the bot on top of books with the wheels free to turn, and using the remote to run forward, or start a spot clean. It won't go or stop if the wheel arm is not properly depressed.
I could disable the electrical connections to the switch but this seems simpler and clearly reversible. I have not analyzed the signal wires from the drive assembly. Whether the sensor is mechanical or optical not determined.

I have the original 9250 not sold in the U.S., not the newer R9250 here, very similar, though the R added mag strip sensing I added myself to the original -- supplied with a poorly designed old IR Virtual Guard (see the hacking forum here).

I do not have a 7000 series model to test, but there do not seem to be as many reports of navigation problems, and the side bumper is a little better. Note I also had to expand the side bumper on the 9250. How much each mod contributes would be hard to determine. The side bumper for side swiping moves climbing some floor lamp bases -- persistent robot tries everything to climb when first deflected.

I had to make additions to both Roomba and Neato to work in my environment, so I do not expect anything perfect from the present state of the art in these products.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby cjs180 » February 9th, 2018, 3:01 pm

I will try taping a small piece of wood over the tip of the wheel arm so the wheels are depressed into the case and see if that works. I took the tape off now that I had on there. I basically had the wheel arms taped so they were not flush with the bottom of the bot but out a little, maybe a 1/4". Frustrating to spend that much on a vac that does not work as well as ones sold at 1/2 the price.
cjs180

Postby glnc222 » February 9th, 2018, 4:37 pm

I had to do something similar to a Neato XV and Botvac, for how much it flipped up the back against walls, posted in the Neato forum. So when I did the same on the Powerbot the same way, it turned out insufficient and I analyzed the mechanism completely to get it right. Third-deg pointed out how the suspension structure affects how this all works, whether pivoted in the front or back etc.

The 9350 Turbo top model added some counter weights in the front for this, I wonder if also in the newer R9250 -- visible with a flashlight through the front smoke plastic.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 9th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Remember when you do this, the Powerbot does not sense being picked up right away, and the wheels turn briefly (manual advises never lift by the wheels anyway), then an error shows, put it down and press the start button to clear.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 9th, 2018, 4:51 pm

The washable filter has shown no wear, properly handled, after running 360 times, cleaned infrequently here. I like there is actually a sensor for reduction in air flow alerting to clean the filter -- fine dust does get on it with the cyclone system.

The battery shows no sign of wear after 360 times, though I do not recommend using the Max power mode, which goes on automatically anyway with the dirt detector. The battery might last 600 cycles, will have to see; very expensive of course.

The 7000 series is basically a size trade off, squashing it lower to fit under more furniture, at cost of a smaller bin -- I never fill up the bigger bin anyway. The 9000 also has four inch instead of three inch wheels, which might make a difference on slick or deep carpet, but I do not have the 7000 to compare. The 9350 has flexible wheel rims which allow a little higher threshold crossing, with even more traction.

I see virtually no electronics repairs reported on the Samsung's, made by an electronics firm, compared to all those reported on other brands (not as entertaining as a repair hobby -- but plenty of engaging mods made). Nor are the newest models from Roomba and Neato especially cheaper as far as I can tell, for the same features.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 9th, 2018, 5:04 pm

glnc222
Robot Master

Postby cjs180 » February 9th, 2018, 5:25 pm

I figured I would take a couple of Popsicle sticks and tape them over the wheel arm to hold it down and see if that works.
cjs180

Postby glnc222 » February 10th, 2018, 12:24 am

The method I used in the thread linked above, is a small piece of cardboard or wood against the inside front surface of the wheel well, so nothing protrudes on the bottom of the case, and to allow taping against the strong spring pressure with sheer hold instead of vertical on the tape, at least some. Some special strapping on the bottom to get strong hold. Tape will work loose under the spring pressure over time, hence thumbtack in the end -- or epoxy glue (which can be removed from plastic). The wheel arm is held about even with the bottom of the case, still with a lot of movement deeper when full weight is on the wheels. You could use a small sheet metal screw whose head would retain the arm tip instead of the cardboard square.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby glnc222 » February 20th, 2018, 3:41 am

I should add that there is a reason why the suspension switch was disabled mechanically, limiting the linkage play instead of electrically bypassing the sensor. The suspension for front intake robot drive wheels uses a pivot point in the rear, and the amount of movement or play in it is too great. It allows the back of the robot to flip up higher than needed when pressed in the back, and this raises the height of the bot to bump into overhead shelves or cabinet bottoms under which it normally can operate, if the suspension is adjusted. The suspension needs to move only enough to raise the front to climb thresholds low enough it can safely cross them, with a lot less play than is built into the suspension supplied. The excess play was especially bad on the Neato robots, so was also fixed on the Powerbot. The unusual software feature shutting down the bot with the wheels extended was discovered later. On the Neato robots, tripping that sensor when running does not stop the cleaning as it does on the Samsung. Apparently the Neato is smarter about sensing whether it is lifted off the floor. One might hope companies would fix such details of their software, but they seem more involved with adding things like cell phone apps and what not. The industry has its limitations.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby cjs180 » February 20th, 2018, 8:12 am

Thanks for your help. I returned it and bought another neato. Navigation is far superior to the Samsung and it rarely gets hung up.
cjs180

Return to Samsung Robots