Powerbot 9000 - (03) Right Wheel Error Code

News and information about the Samsung Navibot, Tango, Furot and VC series Robotic Vacuums. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Powerbot 9000 - (03) Right Wheel Error Code

Postby GoPackGo » April 5th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Ok, I’m at wits end here. Our Powerbot 9020u recently quit working. It gives the error that the right wheel has foreign matter caught in it. The robot moves forward and to the left roughly 5” before quitting and giving the error code. So far I have....

1 - removed, completely cleaned and replaced right driving wheel
2 - bought a new right driving wheel to replace original
3 - bought new motherboard and replaced the original
4 - bought new left driving wheel to replace original (took a shot in the dark in this one)

After all this, the robot still only moves 5” before shutting down and flashing the same error message.

Any ideas on what to try next? I refuse to give up as it’s become a matter of principle for me. Thanks!
GoPackGo

Re: Powerbot 9000 - (03) Right Wheel Error Code

Postby glnc222 » April 6th, 2018, 5:48 pm

The drive should be tested by mounting the bot on books or blocks depressing the wheel suspension so ready to roll, with the wheels free (or tape down the suspension; switch signals when bot elevated). Press start or manually steer forward and observe whether the wheels turn etc. or give the error msg.
The motor is monitored with a tachometer signal on one of the wires, so it sounds like it could not be getting this signal if the motor is initially turning. Comparing this signal across the good and bad wheel might be revealing.
The one thing besides the motor and the circuit boards is the connectors and cables for this signal. The signal can be observed at both ends of the cable for any difference -- with instruments.

The way such things get repaired commercially is replacing parts until it works, e.g. test the suspect wheel motor on another, known good bot. Without diagnostic software supplied by the maker, home repairs are limited without quite an expense. At least Samsung sells spare parts, unlike some popular brands.
glnc222
Robot Master

Re: Powerbot 9000 - (03) Right Wheel Error Code

Postby glnc222 » April 11th, 2018, 3:09 pm

I should have mentioned that one thing I had to do with the 9000 series is insure that the wheel suspension extension sensor is not tripped, shown in thread http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19388. I don't know whether tripping this switch or whatever causes a misleading drive wheel error code -- it seemed to shut down the whole thing. The larger wheels on these bots and the mechanics produce a "wheelie" action under drive torque which lifts the bot under contact pressure, having little net front weight after torque, tripping the "picked up off the floor" condition erroneously. Some recent models added some sort of counter weights in the front for better balance, but I don't have one to test -- and don't trust such band aids. The smaller 7000 series with smaller wheels might not be as prone to this. Part of it is software: Neato robots have similar sensors but do not seem as easily fooled by one side lifting.

In the Hacking forum I easily added mag strip sensing to these models, where in the U.S. Samsung switched to mag strips from their dubious Virtual Guard, only somewhat resembling Roomba's optical walls but operating very differently. http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20181
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Samsung Robots