4 Easy Mods for your Navibot 8845/55/95

News and information about the Samsung Navibot, Tango, Furot and VC series Robotic Vacuums. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

4 Easy Mods for your Navibot 8845/55/95

Postby robocleaner » April 15th, 2012, 10:10 am

These are not exactly all "mods" as such, but things I've done to improve the frustratingly poor performance of my Navibot SR8855 and help make it slightly easier to live with.

1. Making it suck

If you look at your Navibot's dust bin, you've probably noticed how the frame of that filter half-blocks the suction channel. How Samsung didn't notice that themselves at the design stage we'll probably never know, but with a sharp hobby knife you can easily cut out the obstructing part of the frame to open it up (careful you don't cut into the filter itself - a thin lick of glue along that edge will ensure it's sealed). It certainly improves the suck on my 8855 - not brilliantly, but to some degree. Cleaning used/dirty filters in an ultrasonic cleaner improves the suck quite a bit too.

PIC_0480.JPG
Standard filter in the bin, modified filter being held.

PIC_0481.JPG
Modified filter in the bin, standard filter being held.

2. Making the battery run longer

Samsung warrant the Navibot battery for 6 months, and recommend replacing it after a year. There's nothing inherently wrong with the quality of the battery in my opinion just that the Navibot treats it very badly, and my 18-month old battery was down to a best run-time of just 26 minutes. Cycling it slowly 5-times improved that to a consistent run-time of 67 minutes - as good as a new one.

PIC_0488.JPG
Cycle the battery to improve run-time.

3. Straigtening out the curled-up side-brushes

No way am I buying new side brushes when there's nothing wrong with the old ones, other than they twizzle themselves up so tightly the Navibot starts jumping up and down like a nodding donkey. Piece of wood, 4 screws, leave them overnight, and they're as good as new by morning.

PIC_0491.JPG
Straighten out those curled-up side brushes!

4. Virtual Wall/Lighthouse AA rechargable battery conversion

D batteries? They're kidding, right? Who still uses D batteries in this century? Do shops even sell them anymore? Well, not in my house... anything that needs batteries in my house will use rechargable AA or AAA cells. End of. The trouble is D batteries give 1.5 volts each, yet AA rechargables only give 1.2 volts, so you'll need 3 rechargable AA cells to make it work... and work brilliantly it does too. 3 AA cell battery holder and a clip easily available from Maplins or Radio Shack, it fits in the device perfectly, and with 2000mAh or better rechargable cells lasts just as long as typical D cells. I find "Hybrid" rechargable cells seem to work best since they retain peak charge much longer than normal rechargable cells.

PIC_0493.JPG
Virtual Wall runs on 3xAA rechargable cells. Duracell Hybrids being used here.
2 x Karcher RC3000 (2005 & 2012), Trilobite ZA1 (2005), Navibot 8855 (2010)
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Re: 4 Easy Mods for your Navibot 8845/55/95

Postby Fraggboy » April 15th, 2012, 10:50 am

Excellent mods. Thank you for sharing them with the rest of us. :)
Chris

:confusion-shrug:
Website Question? Check out the FAQ section.
Roomba/Scooba Question? Check out the READ FIRST section.
:text-search:
Before posting, check out the improved Search engine. Your question might have been answered already.
Fraggboy
Robot Master

Postby piokrza » April 16th, 2012, 10:10 am

Nice mods! :thumbup:
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230 Hobot-168
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby NusNus » December 31st, 2012, 1:32 am

Really nice tips! Especially how you straighted out the brushes.

How often is it needed to do a complete cleaning of the robot? I´ve had mine for a week and it´s allready really dusty and full of my dogs hair :).
NusNus

Postby piokrza » December 31st, 2012, 1:44 pm

NusNus - the more often the better :) but I noticed that you own premium Navibot - model SR8980. In case of that, it should be no more often as once a week, or so, maybe a month? :lol:

Ps. the side brushes can be easily straightened out by putting them in hot water cup for a few minutes - works perfect!
past: Samsung SR8855 (bad sw) Samsung SR8895 (bad rotor) Neato XV-11/XV-15 Roomba 780 (bad battery) Scooba 385 Roomba 530 2x Scooba 230 (broken bladder), Samsung SR8980, Samsung VR10F71
current: Roomba 620 (bad CHM; repaired u/warranty) Scooba 330 Scooba 230 Hobot-168
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby NusNus » January 2nd, 2013, 4:54 am

piokrza wrote:NusNus - the more often the better :) but I noticed that you own premium Navibot - model SR8980. In case of that, it should be no more often as once a week, or so, maybe a month? :lol:

Ps. the side brushes can be easily straightened out by putting them in hot water cup for a few minutes - works perfect!

Ok thanks :). Once a week should be enough allthough it looks really dirty all the time :)
NusNus

Postby piokrza » January 2nd, 2013, 6:34 am

It's a vacuum cleaner, so it "must" be dirty :lol: but I think that if you put it to work more often, then the dust amount will decrease.
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby iMayne » January 8th, 2013, 2:20 pm

I hope everyone sees this. Great!

I see you have a great battery charger ;) ;)

A must have to keep your battery going.
UK Business Coming Soon
iMayne
Robot Addict

Postby robocleaner » January 9th, 2013, 8:07 pm

iMayne wrote:A must have to keep your battery going.

Oh yes! Of course, the real irony here is that a charger/discharger such as this iMax one costs a lot less than a single replacement battery pack, and this iMax has saved/extended the life of several of my battery packs over the years saving me many hundreds of bucks/pounds/euros!!!

The only issue I have with this particular iMax model is that it's discharge rate is somewhat limited on larger packs... to about 0.4 amps; it'd be nice to discharge at a rate similar to that of the appliance. But it's an acceptable handicap given the very modest price.
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby DopeBean » June 26th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to change the vacuum motor for a different one? lets say with an higher rpm? although i know its going to make more noise and the battery finishes sooner, the suction power should increase right? My robot is still under warranty so i dont want to mess with it to much yet :mrgreen:

maybe some one of you could give me the specs and dimensions of the motor they use now so i can go and look for something :wink:

ps: the mod with the filter is a good one :D

cheers from the netherlands :D
Navibot SR8855 2013
DopeBean

Postby robocleaner » June 27th, 2013, 7:43 pm

DopeBean wrote:Is it possible to change the vacuum motor for a different one? lets say with an higher rpm?

No. The design (casing) of the fan is specific to (made especially for) the Navibot... although if you can find an alternative higher-powered one in the Netherlands, let us all know! There are strip-down pictures elsewhere on the forum showing the fan.

Besides, there would be further complications with the increased exhaust of a higher rpm fan: The existing low-powered one is already known for coating the insides of the navibot with crud which already causes problems/total failure... even more air flowing through the casing is likely to compound that problem.
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby DopeBean » June 28th, 2013, 5:11 am

ohww thnaks for the heads up! I already orderd a new suction motor so i can take a look on how to improve the part. Do you mean with crud that there is to much sand/dust comming inside the robot? I cant really see or feel an outlet for the air on my robot and it looks like the air is blown inside the robot... i am correct?

Anyway, as soon as I improved the part i will post some pictures :thumbup:

Cheers :cheers:
Navibot SR8855 2013
DopeBean

Postby robocleaner » June 28th, 2013, 11:26 am

Here is a recent thread about problems caused by dust build-up inside the machine (also includes a picture): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16800. The fan is located under the motherboard, with the exhaust simply blowing into the machine (to the front & left side as I recall).
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby DopeBean » June 29th, 2013, 3:10 pm

hmmmm thanks again! I have enough information to work with :thumbup:
Navibot SR8855 2013
DopeBean

Postby ultradj83 » January 1st, 2014, 7:28 pm

robocleaner wrote:
Samsung warrant the Navibot battery for 6 months, and recommend replacing it after a year. There's nothing inherently wrong with the quality of the battery in my opinion just that the Navibot treats it very badly, and my 18-month old battery was down to a best run-time of just 26 minutes. Cycling it slowly 5-times improved that to a consistent run-time of 67 minutes - as good as a new one.

PIC_0488.JPG

No way am I buying new side brushes when there's nothing wrong with the old ones, other than they twizzle themselves up so tightly the Navibot starts jumping up and down like a nodding donkey. Piece of wood, 4 screws, leave them overnight, and they're as good as a new one.

Gently, how did you perform charging cycles exactly?

Thanks and best regards
ultradj83

Postby robocleaner » January 1st, 2014, 9:25 pm

You can use any hobby charger/discharger intended for RC packs, so long as it will cope with a 12-cell NiMh/14.4 volt/2000mAh pack. Imax and Turnigy are popular choices, from most RC hobby shops, Amazon, ebay etc.
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Postby williamC » April 7th, 2014, 4:40 am

robocleaner wrote:Here is a recent thread about problems caused by dust build-up inside the machine (also includes a picture): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16800. The fan is located under the motherboard, with the exhaust simply blowing into the machine (to the front & left side as I recall).

Well, i have a navibot light for a few months now, and I do see the dust problem coming.
When i do my routine cleaning, i observed that the rubber lips on the body is not mating perfectly to the slot on the dustbin (see the rectangular short wall (or ribs) enclosing the slots, on the blue cover.
There seems to have free ambient dusty air getting into the electric motor directly, without passing through the dustbin and filter.
I pasted a strip of rubber pad, thick enough to go flush with the rib height on the blue cover of dustbin.
And I do not see dust stain around the rubber lips any more.

If this stay true, it is a design failure on Samsung's part.
They design it to fail.
And I read somewhere in this forum that someone from Italy was not given the motherboard warranty, with reason that the motherboard failure was due to dust at customer's fault.
williamC

Postby williamC » May 20th, 2014, 12:44 am

Thankd for the sharing, especially on the side brush, and yes, my navibot does jump up and down like a nodding donkey!

robocleaner wrote:These are not exactly all "mods" as such, but things I've done to improve the frustratingly poor performance of my Navibot SR8855 and help make it slightly easier to live with.

1. Making it suck

If you look at your Navibot's dust bin, you've probably noticed how the frame of that filter half-blocks the suction channel. How Samsung didn't notice that themselves at the design stage we'll probably never know, but with a sharp hobby knife you can easily cut out the obstructing part of the frame to open it up (careful you don't cut into the filter itself - a thin lick of glue along that edge will ensure it's sealed). It certainly improves the suck on my 8855 - not brilliantly, but to some degree. Cleaning used/dirty filters in an ultrasonic cleaner improves the suck quite a bit too.

PIC_0480.JPG

PIC_0481.JPG

2. Making the battery run longer

PIC_0488.JPG

No way am I buying new side brushes when there's nothing wrong with the old ones, other than they twizzle themselves up so tightly the Navibot starts jumping up and down like a nodding donkey. Piece of wood, 4 screws, leave them overnight, and they're as good as new by morning.

PIC_0491.JPG

4. Virtual Wall/Lighthouse AA rechargable battery conversion

D batteries? They're kidding, right? Who still uses D batteries in this century? Do shops even sell them anymore? Well, not in my house... anything that needs batteries in my house will use rechargable AA or AAA cells. End of. The trouble is D batteries give 1.5 volts each, yet AA rechargables only give 1.2 volts, so you'll need 3 rechargable AA cells to make it work... and work brilliantly it does too. 3 AA cell battery holder and a clip easily available from Maplins or Radio Shack, it fits in the device perfectly, and with 2000mAh or better rechargable cells lasts just as long as typical D cells. I find "Hybrid" rechargable cells seem to work best since they retain peak charge much longer than normal rechargable cells.

PIC_0493.JPG
williamC

Postby mfortuna » May 20th, 2014, 9:09 am

D batteries are still very popular in the USA. The most common use is 2 cell handheld flashlights.

Most electronic equipment seems to work with either alkaline or NIMH/NICAD cells. In fact alkaline seems to have a fairly steep initial discharge compared to NIMH/NICAD. So you may not need an extra cell.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby robocleaner » May 20th, 2014, 11:54 am

mfortuna wrote:D batteries are still very popular in the USA. The most common use is 2 cell handheld flashlights.

But AFAIK, Samsung aren't selling this Navibot in the States, are they? D cells are an odd choice for the European market, although they do add useful weight to the LH/VW.

mfortuna wrote:Most electronic equipment seems to work with either alkaline or NIMH/NICAD cells. In fact alkaline seems to have a fairly steep initial discharge compared to NIMH/NICAD. So you may not need an extra cell.

I did try 2 x AA NiMh cells Mike; regular AA NiMh's loose surface votage too quickly giving a short useful life, although 2 x AA hybrid NiMh's run well enough. But using 3 x AA NiMh cells doesn't overload the device, gives useful extra life... and seeing as three cells fit neatly inside without rattling around, why not?
robocleaner
Robot Addict

Next

Return to Samsung Robots