R9250 No History in App?

News and information about the Samsung Navibot, Tango, Furot and VC series Robotic Vacuums. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

R9250 No History in App?

Postby Bocks » July 16th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Hello.. I recently got a Powertbot R9250 and have the Wifi and App (Smart Home) setup. I don't see any place in the app for history or a map of what it cleaned. Is that normal and expected? I thought the R9250 did the history and showed a map of the areas cleaned when it was done. I had a R7070 that did this but took it back because the R9250 does a better job cleaning and is much more gentle.

Will post a full review if anyone is interested. Have had Roomba's starting with the Discovery Series all the way through the 980 and I am blow away with the Powertbot line in comparison. My iRobot loyalty really prevented me from trying anything different and IMHO Samsung really hit it out of the park with the 9200 series vacuum bots.
Thanks,
Lance
Bocks
Robot Groupie

Re: R9250 No History in App?

Postby glnc222 » July 17th, 2017, 12:08 am

A review is of interest because not as many Powerbot owners reporting compared to more famous robotics brands.

The original 9250 (first WiFi model) -- not the newer "R" version -- does not have the mapping report which was introduced in the later more expensive 9350 with "select a room" (requiring such info). Samsung has a peculiar wide array of models with different features and prices, so only the manual would specify whether the app has a feature. The R9250 may differ from the original in using mag strip boundary markers instead of IR Virtual Guards (at least in U.S. distribution compared to European), and might have counter weights in the front -- would have to check the marketing material (you can see any counter weights shining a flashlight through the front).

I do not see any use for the map history feature apart from idle curiosity. To really tell how it is working I think it must be observed in action, for interaction with furniture etc. I am skeptical of the value of all the WiFi stuff as far as cleaning goes. It is a pretty expensive toy for minimal screen entertainment -- just an opinion. The marketers have obviously seen WiFi throughout the industry as a valuable option.

It is interesting you find the 9000 behavior more attractive than the latest 7000 series behavior, in the smaller size and the odd intake shutter. The original 9250 proved susceptible to traps against furniture legs well cured with two modifications, shown in the 9000 thread, disabling the wheel extension sensor and expanding the side bumper. It works very well with these corrections over hundreds of cleaning runs now. Thread http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19388

I got the WiFi model only for possible software improvements in updates. It has been updated 3-4 times (up to RV0.0.53 now) with no additions to behavior, such as 3-times corner poking mentioned on the 9350, but never supplied (not to mention select-a-room). I suspect updates are only for WiFi aspects itself, app features and complexities of WiFi tech itself, protocols and what not -- Amazon Alexa... The App screens have just been modernized a bit with more standard formats used in the industry. With the first WiFi model, of course, it was not possible to anticipate the marketing policies of the company. They have since added WiFi to cheaper models in the series, pursuing this perceived marketing advantage, equally sought by other brands.

The most obvious software fault they could have fixed, insufficient interpretation of wheel extension sensors for picking up off the floor, causing unnecessary furniture leg traps, was never fixed. More money in WiFi apps I suppose. One report posted seems to describe a similar fault remaining the new 7000 series. Fortunately that sensor can be easily disabled in absence of a proper software fix (notice Neato robots have such sensors and never exhibit this kind of trap shut down -- proper software, like checking both sensors etc.).
Last edited by glnc222 on July 17th, 2017, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glnc222
Robot Master

Postby Bocks » July 17th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Thanks for the information. I will get a review together and posted in the next few days.

Odd that there is no record of history in the App at all to know how long it cleaned / start & stop times. The R7070 did this. Not a big deal, just a nice to have.
Thanks,
Lance
Bocks
Robot Groupie

Postby glnc222 » July 17th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Checking the manual the "R" 9250 is indeed supplied with mag strip boundary markers compared to the original, foreign model with IR Virtual Guards. Samsung supplies a self stick strip compared to Neato sort of heavy pieces possibly more convenient.

One trick possible is to attach the self stick strip to a thin wood molding stick for portable use -- only the ends would need to be secured to the floor or sides of a doorway. Thinnest would be 1/8 in. hobby modeling boards (craft supplies), vs construction molding in building supply. Plastic strips cut (with scissors) from wall corner guard in paint depts. (4ft and 8ft lengths) could also be of interest -- with and without mag strips attached (especially makes good wiring channels against walls, with the right angle; get the 1-1/8 in. wider type, to engage the bumper).

This model also comes with the newer combo blade and bristle brush, compared to an older two grades of bristle brush, similar to Dyson robot. The combo brush became available separately several months ago as well. The combo brush can be easier to clean of pet hair I imagine, and I prefer it on carpet for less fiber debris in the bristles.

The R9250 has the hardware to detect Virtual Guards, since the dock beacon and remote receiver is used, but whether the software supports the guards is unknown. Units with Virtual Guards are sold in Europe. Extra sensors are needed for mag strips. One reason to abandon the Guards is the warning in the manual, that only one IR source can be allowed to reach the robot at any time to avoid signal interference. The tech is the same as TV remotes. Two receivers poking up on each side of the front. Another reason is the Guards are not all that well designed, IMHO, without focusing the beams and being strong enough to create problems with reflections off walls (an odd requirement of long MINIMUM reach is actually correct; Roomba's Virtual Wall system is designed for a short distance; TV remote receivers are very sensitive and can detect Roomba VW's thirty feet away).
glnc222
Robot Master

Return to Samsung Robots