For what is used the white and black wheel ?

Inside the Roomba and Scooba and more, Cool mods, Repair and Upgrades - including the all new iRobot Create Kit. Let's void that warranty baby!

For what is used the white and black wheel ?

Postby R Daneel Olivaw » August 29th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Hi everybody !

Firstly, sorry for my english : I'm french, so I do all my possible to be understood... :oops:

I've got a serious problem with my roomba. i'm live in a building, and I've got paving on the floor.
The little wheel bump into all the seals, and resound everywhere in the building.

The wheel, unlike the 2 motorised wheels, is make with hard plastic.
I would like to replace it by a rubber one, but I don't know :

"For what is used the white & Black colors on the wheel ?"

I've seen a sensor on the botom of the wheel case, so I think the colors are important !!!

If somebody got the answer, or ever seen the problem, Thanks to put a word !!! :wink:

R Daneel Olivaw

Postby vic7767 » August 29th, 2008, 5:07 pm

There is an IR transmitter and receiver located just above the wheel. The signals are transmitted to the wheel and when the white portion is in the proper position the IR receiver reacts to the signal. When the black portion is in the proper position the beam stops being transmitted.

This whole effort is utilized to report to the Micro Controller that the Roomba is moving and not stuck somewhere. If the stasis reports are inhibited by removing the IR signals for any amount of time then the Roomba will stop running and report an error condition.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby R Daneel Olivaw » August 29th, 2008, 5:28 pm

ok, so it will be hard that I want change the wheel... I have to respect the half white part....

Not a very good new for me...
Thanks for the information !

But, another question : Le IR sensor is at the rear of the wheel case : It don't see the wheel when the robot don't carry straight on... ?
R Daneel Olivaw

Postby R Daneel Olivaw » August 31st, 2008, 8:35 am

OK, I replace the wheel by a door's rubber stamp, who I half paint in black :
It's work superbly. The robot is now very very more quiet than the original !!!
R Daneel Olivaw

Postby igors48 » August 31st, 2008, 3:10 pm

Can you post photo? Please!
Roomba550 & Scooba340. !!!Sorry my English!!!
igors48
Robot Groupie

Postby R Daneel Olivaw » September 2nd, 2008, 3:08 pm

no problem.

I'll do a tutorial for that.
R Daneel Olivaw

Postby R Daneel Olivaw » September 9th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Here it is !!!!

(please, if you try, or if you take my tuto out the forum, say it to me ;-))

enjoy' !!!
Attachments
Roomba?s front wheel replacement.zip
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 948 times
R Daneel Olivaw

Postby igors48 » September 10th, 2008, 2:07 am

Thank you for detailed instructions!
Roomba550 & Scooba340. !!!Sorry my English!!!
igors48
Robot Groupie

Postby Gordon » September 12th, 2008, 12:41 am

Hi R.D.O. I looked at your tutorial and think you did quite a nice job of preparing its graphics and story-line.

Regarding the caster-wheel replacement, you were very fortunate to find mass produced hardware of exactly the correct diameter and thickness!

Regarding the use of the flat-washers, I presume them to be made of steel, and of course the wheel-axle is also a steel composition (but likely not identical to that of the washers). In your design, the washer-holes are serving as axle-bearings, and I think the combination of steel (washers) rubbing on the steel-shaft, in combination with the small thickness of each washer will become a wear problem for you.

Roomba presents quite a large load on that caster-wheel, since more than half the battery's weight is bearing down on that wheel! You may notice some audible squeaking sounds, and notice the washer holes enlarging, or grooves forming in the axle.

Some lubrication would help control wear, but the chosen lubricant would have to be compatible with the "stamp" material!

Best wishes for long service of that soft caster!
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby R Daneel Olivaw » September 12th, 2008, 5:28 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your comments !

Regarding the caster-wheel replacement, you were very fortunate to find mass produced hardware of exactly the correct diameter and thickness!

heu.... YES !!!!!♦
The first thing that I try to resolve my problem was so easy to do because all things were so "adaped" that I thank that I must tell that to other people !!!!!!

Regarding the use of the flat-washers, I presume them to be made of steel, and of course the wheel-axle is also a steel composition (but likely not identical to that of the washers). In your design, the washer-holes are serving as axle-bearings, and I think the combination of steel (washers) rubbing on the steel-shaft, in combination with the small thickness of each washer will become a wear problem for you.

I don't know, because the whashers are used at the left and right, for the rubber wheel don't touch the hard plastic case at left and right and grip on it. But the washers turns withs the steel-axe. The system [axe+rubber stamps+ washers] is rotating.
I say in my tuto that i' was lucky that the axe rotate on the case. But I think that it's the original wheel who is suppose to turn on the axe, and you raise an interesting problem : How the hard plastic case will be worn by the rotation of the axe ?
I will tell you that in few years !!!

bye !
R Daneel Olivaw

Re:

Postby off-road-biker » January 21st, 2017, 7:47 am

R Daneel Olivaw wrote:How the hard plastic case will be worn by the rotation of the axe ?
I will tell you that in few years !!!

Any updates??
Roomba 560 with 700 ECHM (grey) and modded original vac bin (R3)
off-road-biker

Re: For what is used the white and black wheel ?

Postby mfortuna » January 21st, 2017, 10:51 am

This is a 8+ year old thread and the user has not been back in that time. There is a good chance there will not be an update. But it is possible I suppose.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Re: For what is used the white and black wheel ?

Postby Brett » January 21st, 2017, 8:30 pm

Instead of doing all that (door rubbers might be ingenious, but what if you don't find the same size?) Rather just do Eds O-Ring solution (or get him to)...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19103&p=135959
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Return to Robotic Hacking