It seems that after a few months of debating, there still isnt a decision on which architecture would be best for the electronics.
Being involved with electronics on the RepRap printer, I will start designing my own electronics and firmware, based on the Atmel ATMEGA644P with Arduino bootloader.
This electronics will have the following characteristics:
- Fully OSHW
- Drive a 4 digit LCD
- Handle 8 pushbuttons on top
- Sense battery voltage
- Handle 2 opto sensors on the bottom (stairs falling prevention)
- Handle 3 switches in front (bump detection)
- Handle 2 switches, one on each of the motor wheels (lift detection)
- IR sensor to detect home station / wall /
- IR sensor to detect movement
- Drive 5 DC motors (two for propulsion, one for vacuuming, one for the sweeper, one for the rollers)
Things to be implemented in firmware:
- GPL-2+ license
- Remember when to automatically start cleaning
- Intelligent sweeping
- Bump handling
- Dirty spot detection
- Programmable clock stuff
- Too much to even begin to mention
For this purpose I have just opened up a github repo, and as soon as I have anything that is going anywhere at all, I'll report back to you.
Critics may say the atmel can't do this all, it isnt quick enough, doesnt have the memory .... We'll see. Getting some schematics and at least trying (and possibly failing) will at least rule out some things