Disable Cliff Sensors, zero parts, reversible

Inside the Roomba and Scooba and more, Cool mods, Repair and Upgrades - including the all new iRobot Create Kit. Let's void that warranty baby!

Disable Cliff Sensors, zero parts, reversible

Postby AndyTane » February 23rd, 2013, 5:31 pm

I have a 595 series roomba. And I have carpets witH black stripes, so my roomba wouldn't vacuum it because it always thought the black stripes are cliffs. I've had some success with taping tinfoil over the sensors, but replacing them when they get worn out was becoming an annoyance.

I once did some research to see if any of the spray dye upholstery company's produced a colorless spray that was highly reflective to infrared. I could then spray the black areas of my rug to make them cliff sensor friendly. But couldn't locate anything out there.

So, this time I decided to disassemble my roomba to see if there was an easy way to disable the cliff sensors. I use a virtual doorway at the top of my stairs, which is the only cliff in the house. So I have no issues with the roomba being unable to detect a cliff.

I discovered that the IR transmitter and sensor are in a housing that made it easy to aim the two directly at each other without the need for any soldering, melting etc, and it's just as easy to put it back to its original configuration should I ever get rid of that stupid black striped carpet.

See the photos below to see how I did it. If you can't get your roomba disassembled to this point, then maybe this mod isn't for you. Just sayin'.
Attachments
image.jpg
Remove sensor assy from Roomba
image.jpg
Slide clear plastic cover off
image.jpg
Separate the two inner halves
image.jpg
Remove electronic parts
image.jpg
Press led and sensor into other cavity
image.jpg
Bend component leads downwards
image.jpg
Route wires out original location
image.jpg
Put halves together and slide on clear cover
image.jpg
Install sensor assy back on Roomba
AndyTane

Re: Disable Cliff Sensors, zero parts, reversible

Postby vic7767 » February 23rd, 2013, 5:47 pm

Very nice non-harmful mod to the existing cliff sensors on your 5XX Roomba. This mod can also be accomplished on 6XX, and 7XX models that don't require the cliff detection sensor function during the cleaning cycle.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Gordon » February 25th, 2013, 3:36 am

Member "Dajiu" disabled his R3 Roomba by placing each cliff-sensors IRED & PT side by side, taped together as I recall, about four years ago. He posted that achievement in this rr thread: viewtopic.php?p=58152#p58152
but rather than detail what he did, as well as provide a great step-by-step procedure about taking the R3-Roomba apart in order to reach the sensors, he built a web-page at this address to hold that information: http://www.pottsland.com/roomba/Roomba_ ... ensor.html

Now, a comment: From an opto-electric view point I am certain that Dajiu's side-by-side coupling of an IRED with its PT partner is more desirable than beaming IR radiance directly into the PT, for the reason that side-by-side coupling tends to mimic the considerable attenuation normally experienced by scattering the IR signal off flooring materials. IOW, the detector portion of a Cliff Sensor is expecting a low level return signal, not the high strength of source radiance. Notice I said "desirable", not superior.

Good of you to post, Andy. Your thread title may be easier for searchers to find than Dajiu's.
Gordon
Robot Master

Postby AndyTane » March 1st, 2013, 5:22 pm

When I first decided to look into a better way to fix this, I was thinking of making something that I could add to the outside that would act as a light pipe, to get the IR light past the little black barrier that's glued inside the clear plastic cover.

After opening the assembly, I was thinking of removing the black barrier, but that wouldn't be reversible. That's when I noticed the cavity that would hold the LED and PhotoSensor.

If anyone is concerned with the intensity, they could put a small square of paper between the two devices. That would diffuse and attenuate the light somewhat. Personally, I'm not concerned with my sensors being damaged.

I'm very surprised that iRobot hasn't listened to their customers, and provided a way to disable the cliff sensors for those who have black carpets. Even an un-documented internal switch, on the circuit board would be nice. They don't even have to acknowledge it in the manual. Just make it available for those of us who need them disabled. These kludges shouldn't be necessary.
AndyTane

Postby TechGuy » March 1st, 2013, 7:57 pm

iRobot does not want to be responsible for the broken Roombas that go down the stairs.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,. How to Desolder
For Sale: Black CHM 2 Ball Bearings set
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby mfortuna » March 1st, 2013, 8:35 pm

Or broken items caused by a roomba going down the stairs, including personal injury.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby adrik » May 3rd, 2013, 3:43 am

I once did some research to see if any of the spray dye upholstery company's produced a colorless spray that was highly reflective to infrared. I could then spray the black areas of my rug to make them cliff sensor friendly. But couldn't locate anything out there.

So, this time I decided to disassemble my roomba to see if there was an easy way to disable the cliff sensors. I use a virtual doorway at the top of my stairs, which is the only cliff in the house. So I have no issues with the roomba being unable to detect a cliff.

I discovered that the IR transmitter and sensor are in a housing that made it easy to aim the two directly at each other without the need for any soldering, melting etc, and it's just as easy to put it back to its original configuration should I ever get rid of that stupid black striped carpet.

dawlance ac price in pakistan
adrik

Postby Roombascoobatastic » May 12th, 2013, 6:46 pm

I have an idea, but not sure if it can work, but I'm sure an electrically savvy person could find an answer... Can anyone think of a way to replace the IR cliff sensors with magnetic sensors so you can use magnetic strips to confine the roomba instead of virtual walls? Would a magnetic sensor just send on and off signals to the Roomba's computer?
Sincerely,

Rick

Current bots: iRobot Scooba 390, iRobot Roomba 770, iRobot Roomba 560, twin Scooba 230s, Dirt Dog & Robomow.
Roombascoobatastic
Magazine Editor

Postby vic7767 » May 12th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Getting off topic, cliff sensors are not used for detecting virtual walls. The Neato uses a magnetic strip that functions as a wall.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Roombascoobatastic » May 12th, 2013, 9:18 pm

I know that. It's just interesting to imagine repurposing them to eliminate the virtual walls. I'm sure someone could get it to work. It's off topic but posted here because someone might want to try it.
Sincerely,

Rick

Current bots: iRobot Scooba 390, iRobot Roomba 770, iRobot Roomba 560, twin Scooba 230s, Dirt Dog & Robomow.
Roombascoobatastic
Magazine Editor

Postby vic7767 » May 12th, 2013, 9:22 pm

Ya it is kinda strange though because over on the Neato forum there is a thread on converting from magnetic strips (very inconvenient) to IR based virtual walls or even converting Roomba VWs to work with the Neato. The grass is always greener...........

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby mfortuna » May 13th, 2013, 7:26 am

A black non-magnetic strip (I am not sure of the minimum width) will work without requiring a modification to the robot.

Search the forum, people have done this.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Roombascoobatastic » May 13th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Tried a few strips of differen materials. They all get ignored by the sensors
Sincerely,

Rick

Roombascoobatastic
Magazine Editor

Postby vic7767 » May 13th, 2013, 4:37 pm

It has to be a strip of flat black or very dark color and must absorb instead of reflect the IR signal.

vic7767
Robot Master

Postby tigermilk » February 6th, 2014, 10:50 am

I succeeded in the operation of my 620 by the same approach!!
Thanks for this technique!! Goodbye, fragile blind tape! :lol:
tigermilk

Return to Robotic Hacking